In Support of the Setlist

kyrie

My biggest complaint is the abundance of cover songs and jams. Why can't there be a 10 minute jam that showcases everyone in the band (Like "Move To The City" for example) and replace all the covers with GNR tunes written by GNR? KOHD was a bore in '92 and it is worse now since Axl introduced the low energy - 'sing along if you feel like' it version back in '01 and LALD's only purpose is to show off the pyro just like at a McCartney show.

Disagree on KOHD. Shit was BRUTAL in 91/92. The 16 minute with multiple reggae breakdowns was pretty unbearable.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of a set list is to fullfill the purpose of the show, which is to make the audience happy, not necessarily the artist.

Do not really agree with that statement. I see live shows as a two-way process. An artist has to be expressing himself artistically (enjoying the song, recalling the situation which inspired the song, emotionally responding etc etc). The crowd are also important, but when a musician panders to crowd he loses credibility. A musician has to follow his own muse.

My biggest complaint is the abundance of cover songs and jams. Why can't there be a 10 minute jam that showcases everyone in the band (Like "Move To The City" for example) and replace all the covers with GNR tunes written by GNR? KOHD was a bore in '92 and it is worse now since Axl introduced the low energy - 'sing along if you feel like' it version back in '01 and LALD's only purpose is to show off the pyro just like at a McCartney show.

This! If they cut out the band jams and solo spots, they could play all afd, cd, and some illusion material for good measure - b/c nobody cares about them except the beer vendors!

Great idea.

Heavens Door was cool..........20 years ago. But now it's just boring and a huge time suck. People keep saying that the casual fan loves it - but not at the shows I've been too. It seems to suck the energy right out of the crowd.

Replace the covers, the jams and rotate the solos and GnR could add a few CD songs, some deeper cuts from the old albums or a new song or two!

This has been my experience with KOHD also. There is always a dash for the beer vendors or the toilets when this song starts. It was a hit in Europe but I have never actually met anyone who likes it. The problem with it is, when it starts you simply know that in 10 mins time it will be drawn out. And then there is the whole lame crowd participation thing a la U2. I always just want it to end. It just, draagggs.

I am quite a big Dylan fan and it isn't even one of my favourite Dylan songs.

Edited by DieselDaisy