Is Freddie Mercury the greatest pop/rock vocalist of all time?

Bruno P.

Not including let's say opera because it's a totally different genre.

He's considered the best vocalist ever by several respectable musicians, music critics, artists and music fans around the world. He had no problems whatsoever with the low notes and when had to sing high he pulled the vocals effortlessly. Had a really powerful chest voice and a beautiful falsetto. Had an amazing breathing technique, wouldn't get caught out of breath. His vocal range is said to be around 4 octaves. Not only it's one of the biggest in rock but he could explore his range properly. He could use the whistle register, which is very rare. Not to mention that his timbre was really unique - soft and clean voice, not too manly, not girly. There's no need to mention his songwriting which heavily inspired Axl and other high calibre musicians. Even if he's not loved in America as he is in the UK, do you think that he's the best/greatest rock/pop vocalist of all time?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1kqqEZOdkw

Amazing live performance... powerful yet so beautiful vocals throughout.

He did this one in one take. He had to drink because he was going through so much pain that he could barely walk yet could perform flawlessly this very demanding song vocally. He recorded this one a few weeks before his death.

Edited by Bruno Poeys

Guest Len B'stard

Mick Jagger invented and exemplified the archetype and to my mind no ones done it better except Iggy Pop but i'd hardly call his work with The Stooges pop rock.

Jagger, Elvis or Michael Jackson although Jacko dont count really because he really came into his own as a solo star and not exactly as a part of The Jackson Five.

I think Jagger wins it, you can transplant Jagger as a frontman into today and it works, it makes sense even today, it still makes sense in a contemporary context, and Elvis wouldn't, as much as i love him.

Edited by sugaraylen

I think Jagger wins it, you can transplant Jagger as a frontman into today and it works, it makes sense even today, it still makes sense in a contemporary context, and Elvis wouldn't, as much as i love him.

Vocalist, not frontman. And Jagger's voice is far from being perfect.

I would say he is definitely in the top 5. Probably the number one, yes.

But who do you guys consider to be better than him as a singer/vocalist? (Not frontman, because Axl, Plant and Jagger would be up there, indeed...)

To make things easier, let's talk about rock (mainly classic) singers.

I personally love Bon Scott.

He had everything: voice, looks, the outfits, moves, the songs

Points for being British

Minus points for being bi-sexual as far as wanting to be on a deserted island with him

The looks? Well, alright, I'll respect your opinion on horse teeth and his mustache.

But he's not British.

But he is the best vocalist of popular music. In rock, the only others that I can think of that are really superior are Steve Perry (though not my cup of tea), Geoff Tate, and Ann Wilson.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

He had everything: voice, looks, the outfits, moves, the songs

Points for being British

Minus points for being bi-sexual as far as wanting to be on a deserted island with him

The looks? Well, alright, I'll respect your opinion on horse teeth and his mustache.

But he's not British.

Right! Not his origin but he was a Brit!! You may be right about the facial hair. I like it half the time.

Edited by ohlovelyrita

I think of Queen as one collective unit, the whole thing together looked and sounded great, and you have to include their harmonies live, but I wouldn't say Freddie was the greatest singer of rock and pop. It also depends what you like in a vocalist and the songs they're doing, and Queen had some awful songs in the catalog.