Is Freddie Mercury the greatest pop/rock vocalist of all time?

Bruno P.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

He had everything: voice, looks, the outfits, moves, the songs

Points for being British

Minus points for being bi-sexual as far as wanting to be on a deserted island with him

The looks? Well, alright, I'll respect your opinion on horse teeth and his mustache.

But he's not British.

But he is the best vocalist of popular music. In rock, the only others that I can think of that are really superior are Steve Perry (though not my cup of tea), Geoff Tate, and Ann Wilson.

He was British wasn't he? I know he was born in India and that.

as a pure vocalist I would say guys like jackson, stevie wonder, and marvin gaye would kill freddie mercury. i know michael jackson is more pop, but he was better than all others honestly. If you want just rock guys, I would say freddie is top 3. But including all pop and r & b guys he's probably not even top ten.

Guest Len B'stard

as a pure vocalist I would say guys like jackson, stevie wonder, and marvin gaye would kill freddie mercury. i know michael jackson is more pop, but he was better than all others honestly. If you want just rock guys, I would say freddie is top 3. But including all pop and r & b guys he's probably not even top ten.

Oh Marvin all fuckin day man!! Marvin Marvin Marvin!!

After Marv' Otis Redding and Sam Cooke i have no more interest in voices in terms of like, a textbook good voice cuz they can't be touched, itd why i only really like quirky or different type voices now, you can't actually take the classical 'good' voice thing any further than those 3.

Edited by sugaraylen

lenny,

ya man I agree. not just marvin, but all the old african american male vocalits were all amazing. ben E king, bill withers, and also al green. Guys like that can sing the phone book and make it sound good. and let us not forget louis armstrong! He was an amazing "frontman".

i dont think stevie wonder gets enough credit. he still sounds awesome, way better than any other singers his age. when you add his piano and harmoncia skills to the equation, he stands tall amoung even the all time greats.

so no way (for me) is freddie better than any of those guys.

Edited by Mike420

He had everything: voice, looks, the outfits, moves, the songs

Points for being British

Minus points for being bi-sexual as far as wanting to be on a deserted island with him

The looks? Well, alright, I'll respect your opinion on horse teeth and his mustache.

But he's not British.

But he is the best vocalist of popular music. In rock, the only others that I can think of that are really superior are Steve Perry (though not my cup of tea), Geoff Tate, and Ann Wilson.

He was British wasn't he? I know he was born in India and that.

He was born in Zanzibar.

Freddie was Parsi, which is basically a Zoroastrian Persian based in India even though he was born in Zanzibar but his parents are Parsi. So Freddie is in fact, an ethnic Persian.

He is definitely my favorite rock vocalist. Even later in life when he chained smoked or when sick from HIV related illness he was still the best.

From 1982

Yes. As far as rock vocalists are concerned, he is numero uno.

Yep.

Freddie's variation and dynamics were his greatest strengths.

Chills everytime.

rock4

Freddie was Parsi, which is basically a Zoroastrian Persian based in India even though he was born in Zanzibar but his parents are Parsi. So Freddie is in fact, an ethnic Persian.

He is definitely my favorite rock vocalist. Even later in life when he chained smoked or when sick from HIV related illness he was still the best.

From 1982

Awesome! Really awesome!

I'd say top 3 sure, but then - I can't imagine anyone else as #1; so yes, for me he is the best vocalist.

I can't believe anyone bringing up people like Jagger, that guy is not a good singer.
If we at least were bringing up frontmen...

He doesnt hold a candle to Freddie technically wise.

I'd say top 3 sure, but then - I can't imagine anyone else as #1; so yes, for me he is the best vocalist.

I can't believe anyone bringing up people like Jagger, that guy is not a good singer.
If we at least were bringing up frontmen...

He doesnt hold a candle to Freddie technically wise.

Jagger was way better back in the day. He was actually singing and there was a lot of passion in his voice.

Also his vocal range is wide, but he's not anywhere near Mercury.

Oh Marvin all fuckin day man!! Marvin Marvin Marvin!!

After Marv' Otis Redding and Sam Cooke i have no more interest in voices in terms of like, a textbook good voice cuz they can't be touched, itd why i only really like quirky or different type voices now, you can't actually take the classical 'good' voice thing any further than those 3.

Sam Cooke was amazing.

Not a big Queen fan, but yeah.. Freddie sang like a monster. I'd say technically speaking he's certainly among the greatest. Dude was amazing. But in terms of bedt frontmen, he wouldn't be in my top 5, mostly as a matter of musical taste.