Is Freddie Mercury the greatest pop/rock vocalist of all time?

Bruno P.

What's amazing about Freddie is how his voice never really changed. Go listen to Queen's first album, then listen to Made in Heaven (which he recorded the vocals to while dying)....He sounds exactly the same, same range, same power....He had a truly amazing voice and a lot of versatility and just had an amazing presence, an incredible amount of charisma and a great rapport with and respect for his fans. The guy could capture and hold an audience like very few others, ten times better than Axl could ever hope to be and really on par with people like Elvis and others in that regard. He wasn't the greatest songwriter ever, BUT, he was able to write very well in numerous genres, and when a songwriter can adeptly go from one genre to another that speaks to their talent.

But like most amazing singers in great bands, while Freddie wouldn't have been nearly as good if he didn't have Brian backing him up, and vice versa. They were a match made in heaven.

As a pure singer/frontman alone I would put him next to Elvis, Jim Morrison and Robert Plant.

Edited by Vincent Vega

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't put Jim Morrison up there. I think his voice was somewhat average, only he used a lower register.

I put him in there not because he had tremendous ability--he didn't--but because of what he did do with his voice. I mean technically he wasn't all that great, but he had that amazing charisma and presence few have and the voice was sultry enough and had enough range to push him up there. But as a pure vocalist alone no he's nowhere near the others. It's more the whole package.

Edited by Vincent Vega

What's amazing about Freddie is how his voice never really changed. Go listen to Queen's first album, then listen to Made in Heaven (which he recorded the vocals to while dying)....He sounds exactly the same, same range, same power....He had a truly amazing voice and a lot of versatility and just had an amazing presence, an incredible amount of charisma and a great rapport with and respect for his fans. The guy could capture and hold an audience like very few others, ten times better than Axl could ever hope to be and really on par with people like Elvis and others in that regard. He wasn't the greatest songwriter ever, BUT, he was able to write very well in numerous genres, and when a songwriter can adeptly go from one genre to another that speaks to their talent.

But like most amazing singers in great bands, while Freddie wouldn't have been nearly as good if he didn't have Brian backing him up, and vice versa. They were a match made in heaven.

As a pure singer/frontman alone I would put him next to Elvis, Jim Morrison and Robert Plant.

Dude, only vocals from two songs from Made in Heaven were from 1991. The others range from 1980-1989.

Innuendo would have been a better example.

Dude, only vocals from two songs from Made in Heaven were from 1991. The others range from 1980-1989.

I know, i meant on the 'new' songs, he sounds the same as he did in the beginning.