The filth filter

Vincent Vega

Does it strike anyone else as being a tad ironic that the words "hooray for tolerance!" and "hooray for tolerance!" are censored on a Guns N' Roses message board--a board infamous for using those very words in a song? It just strikes me as kind of silly that certain words have to be censored. Why?

And if we're going along censoring words which offend people, why aren't the following words ALSO filtered?:

Dyke

Dago

Greaseball

Spic

Chink

Fag

Gook

Wop

Mick

Kraut

Wetback

Guinea

Lesbo

Negro

Honky

All examples of words which are/also can be very offensive if used in reference toward certain groups, races and peoples, yet those words are allowed. What gives?

Edited by Vincent Vega

Does it strike anyone else as being a tad ironic that the words "hooray for tolerance!" and "hooray for tolerance!" are censored on a Guns N' Roses message board--a board infamous for using those very words in a song? It just strikes me as kind of silly that certain words have to be censored. Why?

And if we're going along censoring words which offend people, why aren't the following words ALSO filtered?:

Dyke

Dago

Greaseball

Spic

Chink

Fag

Gook

Wop

Mick

Kraut

Wetback

Guinea

Lesbo

Negro

Honky

All examples of words which are/also can be very offensive if used in reference toward certain groups, races and peoples, yet those words are allowed. What gives?

Fucking Greaseball.

Dyke- we use this term for a ditch in the UK.

Chink- as in armour.

Fag- as in cigarettes.

Mick- as in Jagger or taking the...

Kraut- tasty stuff in Germany.

Guinea- as in Guinea Pig

Lesbo- I wouldn't want to be discussing the island of Lesbos and to be censored.

Negro- as Coma16 said, a term used across many languages to refer to the colour.

Honky- reminds me of a certain Stones song...

As you can see from this list, words have different meanings throughout countries that share a language. Censoring them all for the sake of it would cause more problems than it's worth it. As Black Sabbath said, an abuse of these terms would lead to decisions made on what's acceptable. This is generally quite a moderately-mouthed forum though so there's no need to yet. :)

We considered removing the word-filters altogether at one point, and I changed them to "hooray for tolerance" as an obvious joke, originally in preparation for removing them.

...But now? It's the forum's little inside-joke and vaguely amusing - at least enough so not to change it.

Obviously there are more words we could pointlessly censor, but I'm comfortable keeping things the way they are, and I think most members are too.

We considered removing the word-filters altogether at one point, and I changed them to "hooray for tolerance" as an obvious joke, originally in preparation for removing them.

...But now? It's the forum's little inside-joke and vaguely amusing - at least enough so not to change it.

Obviously there are more words we could pointlessly censor, but I'm comfortable keeping things the way they are, and I think most members are too.

I think the word filters need to remain in place. The children here will never learn not to use hate speak.

Guest Len B'stard

...The fuck is a guinea?

A racist term for Italian people, as well as half of the name of a small rat-like creature that certain people like to put it cages and keep as pets :)

Dyke- we use this term for a ditch in the UK.

Chink- as in armour.

Fag- as in cigarettes.

Mick- as in Jagger or taking the...

Kraut- tasty stuff in Germany.

Guinea- as in Guinea Pig

Lesbo- I wouldn't want to be discussing the island of Lesbos and to be censored.

Negro- as Coma16 said, a term used across many languages to refer to the colour.

Honky- reminds me of a certain Stones song...

As you can see from this list, words have different meanings throughout countries that share a language. Censoring them all for the sake of it would cause more problems than it's worth it. As Black Sabbath said, an abuse of these terms would lead to decisions made on what's acceptable. This is generally quite a moderately-mouthed forum though so there's no need to yet. :)

F a g g o t should be allowed to by that rationale, i.e. the food. And as for n-igger, uh, shakespeare used the word hooray for tolerance!rdly, does that count perhaps as some sort of permutation? Oh, clearly n i g g a r d l y is also filtered.

Not that i give a hooray for tolerance! either way, just being pedantic/semantic etc

Edited by sugaraylen

i think fag should be allowed in all honesty, i mean words evolve over time, and i just think the word has taken on a whole different meaning. like calling someone a retard or saying something is retarded is much different than it was 30 years ago.

Edited by bran

like calling someone a retard or saying something is retarded is much different than it was 30 years ago.

Yup, it was acceptable back then but now it's taboo in most of society. Honestly the only time I hear it is here, everywhere else its 'mentally challenged" or 'learning disabled' or 'intellectual disability'. Rosa's Law made the change in terminology official.

My favorite....shooray for tolerance!

lol lemme try that one.

When the morbidly obese woman at Wal-Mart crashed her electric scooter into a pyramid display of tampon boxes, it caused me to shooray for tolerance!

Edited by DirtyDeeds

you don't have to explain.

this thread is all about one word, and you know it.

just people complaining that they can't use it.

you don't have to explain.

this thread is all about one word, and you know it.

just people complaining that they can't use it.

Actually it was more about Miser's Italian culture thread where he started bringing up all the Italian slurs. There's like 4 in his op.