This is a really Sad video

axlinkafayette

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you guys still can't let it go? It's not like someone died... it's just a fkn band. Wow.

It was a band who put out great music with a eccentric frontman and great guitar player. They took the world by storm in the late 80's/early 90's, and people didn't want it to end. It makes a lot of sense that some people are still sad to see their favorite band break-up.

What even more sad is what has become of not only Guns N' Roses, but Axl Rose. If he actually tried to move the current band out of the old band's shadow and releases music on a timely basis, I think a lot of us would be much happier.

I'm reading Snakepit's Wikipedia page and just saw this:

"We were in the midst of booking another leg when I was informed by Geffen that they'd sold a million copies of It's Five O'Clock Somewhere and had turned a profit so they saw no reason for me to continue our tour. I was to return to L.A. because Axl was ready to begin working on the next Guns N' Roses record. They'd thought it through: in case I objected, they made it clear that the financial tour support for Snakepit was over."

—Slash on Geffen pulling tour support.

Yeah I don't blame Slash for quitting GNR.

Axl thought he owned him.

EDIT: Holy shit I just realized that this is the same exact way he treats the current lineup. "Stop your silly solo projects and come do this GNR tour on a moment's notice - it's what I pay you for"

Edited by TheSeeker

"We were in the midst of booking another leg when I was informed by Geffen that they'd sold a million copies of It's Five O'Clock Somewhere and had turned a profit so they saw no reason for me to continue our tour. I was to return to L.A. because Axl was ready to begin working on the next Guns N' Roses record. They'd thought it through: in case I objected, they made it clear that the financial tour support for Snakepit was over."

EDIT: Holy shit I just realized that this is the same exact way he treats the current lineup. "Stop your silly solo projects and come do this GNR tour on a moment's notice - it's what I pay you for"

Yeah, Axl hasn't changed. In addition to that "drop everything attitude", it also comes with "the show will start when I want it to" and in 1996 that feeling was actually more "its about 50/50 we'll even have a show tonight". With those guidelines, why would you even need to think twice about staying in the band. It really is a dictatorship. Axl is an amazing frontman and has one of the best voices in rock, but that doesn't excuse his attitude and there's really no defending him there. He's the reason for his own demise, and all past members, except for Axl, realize that. I'm glad his firing of the other classic GNR members didn't lead them to do nothing with their lives. They've all continued with great solo projects and couldn't be happier with themselves. Really is a slap in the face to Axl, which he deserved.

Also, you see videos and facts like this and have to think "well yeah, why would I ever in a million years want to go back to that?" Th rest of the band are mature enough to do it for nostalgic purposes and for the fans, but even with all that its a lot to tolerate Axl which isn't really fair to them when they can very easy just continue staying away from him.

So you guys still can't let it go? It's not like someone died... it's just a fkn band. Wow.

This is a Gn'R forum for fans. It's not about letting go, it is about caring cause you're a fanatic and you love the band. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't know if it's a matter of treatment as much as doing what they agreed to do. Nobody forced their hands into signing on that contract when Stinson was selling toner or Bumble struggled to make a small tour happen.

They probably get a nice paycheck and it was their choice to be a part of it.

Edited by Rovim

I felt it almost as a relief when the UYI lineup disintegrated. It had been such a drawn-out, painful process full of disappointments. The band didn't work at all anymore. It was just anger and conflicts. It was best they just called it quits rather than continue half-ass attempts at being a band. We all realized they would never be able to release msic again and we were frankly just happy they managed to release music post-AFD and tour as much as they did. I was so disillusioned with GN'R that I barely cared when Slash left. The band felt dead to me way before Slash left. But then Axl, to my surprise, decided that he wouldn't quit, too. And although that journey has been anything but successful, I am still very happy that he managed to add one more record to the discography of GN'R and I am very positive that more is to come in the future.

As for people here saying Axl is a dictator, here are a few contemporary quotes from people who know him better than you do:

Dizzy: He’s not by any means a tyrant as the media says he is. He is a lot of fun to work with and I learned so much from him as well. He pushes himself to the brink all the time. If only people realized how hard he works before and after the show and in the studio. I have an incredible amount of respect for him and it makes me better and push myself harder. [The Examiner, June 2013]

Dj: Working with him in real life is the exact opposite of everything the media says about him. He’s one of the nicest guys out there and one of my closest friends in the industry. [The Examiner, June 2013

Josh: You know, it wasn't [a pain in the ass working with Axl], it wasn't for me. You might talk to other people who will say it was. Everybody's always looking for a good Axl story from me, but I don't really have any, man, I know they are out there, but my personal experience, and experiences with him...he was always cool to me. I don't have anything bad to say about the guy. [PodAMatic, April 2013].

Richard: I’ve never had any difficulties with Axl. He’s far from a pussycat, but even further from what his reputation belies. I’ll tell you one thing, he has more musical integrity than any singer I have ever worked with. He also is a true musician. He is constantly listening and participating in the musical conversation. He’s not just waiting for his turn to sing his parts, he’s listening and then helps direct the conversation. It’s a pleasure to play with him. It can be an incredibly intense experience. I’ve never stood next to anyone on stage that is that intense. He is definitely exorcising demons at times! [Australian Guitar, March 2013].

Tommy: [Axl]’s a singer of a band and he’s a friend ... we have, you know, a working relationship for 16 years now. He’s a lot of fun to play with, he’s a good entertainer and he’s a force to be reckoned with [The Star, March 2013].

Dj: Axl is in a position where he doesn't have to be cool with the band but he treats us like gold. He lets us write our own solos and gives everybody their time to shine on stage and I think that says a lot about who he is. He has no problem sharing the spotlight, in fact he quite likes it - otherwise he'd be doing this interview and not me. [7 News, January 2013].

Richard: On whether Axl is misunderstood by most people: Oh, absolutely, because he doesn't defend himself in the press. There are a lot of people who take advantage of that, and ex-members know that's the way it is and they fully use that to their advantage [Total Guitar, December 2012].

Brain: [Axl’s] always treated me really good.[musicradar, October 2012].

Bumblefoot: Being asked if Axl is his friend or boss: More like my cousin's Uncle's friend's TV repairman. We spend more time laughing and joking, he's more friend than boss. [Teraz Rock Magazine, July 2012].

Dizzy: Being asked bout the public image of Axl being a megalomaniac: I think most of it is cruel and malicious and unnecessary. I don’t think he’s like that at all. He’s a good friend. He’s like a brother [Vindy.com, December 2011].

Tommy: He likes to actually collaborate with the people he’s playing with. He doesn’t bring them a song and say, ‘Here’s my song. Sing it.’ It’s kind of a strange, old-school, songwriter-producer thing. I don’t think he realizes that. He’s really good at getting people to write something that inspires him. [...] We get along great, we really do. It ain’t perfect, it’s not great every day. We’re all cantankerous in our own right. But the reason I’ve played with him so long is that we do get along [Chicago Sun Times, November 2011].

Dj: Obviously Axl runs the ship but, you know, it's like, with anything, he's very much 'This is a band'. It's very much a family. It's a really tight knit family [sVT Swedish Television, 2010].

Dizzy: Axl is very much into having a band. and he's one of the fairest, coolest, nicest guys that I've ever met... and that's just a fact. And I mean he treats us as band members but at the same time with any situation like that... there's always one person that's more important and you know is in charge and you have to know whose in charge. In every band, in every successful band, has a leader... he's the leader [Madagascar88, September 2005].

Not just Axl that does this. Jon Bon Jovi does this really badly too and to a lesser extent, Springsteen does it do. Owning the band gives you the right to do this.

I don't know if Axl (consciously) felt like he owned them, it sounds more like the record company bent over backwards for Axl and everyone else was a supporting player. That sucks for the record company to do that, but at least they let him go when he wanted to release "Ain't Life Grand". I don't think Axl expected Slash to quit, but after a decade of a working relationship that got personal at times, there's a lot you're going to like and dislike about them. Sometimes bands start off as a group of friends, and then it all falls apart for any number of reasons.

It sounds like pulling support for Slash's solo tour contributed to him quitting GNR.