Were any GN'R songs conceived with no real intention to keep playing them live?

machinegunner

I'm thinking that some make their statement and that was enough, although some may have been played just a few times, like One In A Million, Locomotive, Get In The Ring, Prostitute... Don't Damn Me was never played live at all. I suspect that this is deliberate.

Agree or disagree?

I think some of them are vocally difficult to do justice to live even when on top form. Don't Damn Me is fast and furious and if not delivered in the studio style might not work so well. Something like Get in the Ring would sound a bit lame especially as the rant would have to be constantly updated or just dropped.

It's the more immature GnR songs that haven't really stood the test of time, not because they aren't good but too juvenile or of their time to be performed now.

Edit: this doesn't apply to all of the deep cuts by the way. I think they could play Coma but don't for whatever reason.

Edited by alfierose

It's an interesting point actually that the more a song is tinkered with and layered in the studio the more difficult it is to bring it to a live audience. This is probably one of the reasons Slash favours stripped back music. It's a difficult balance to make, some albums really are studio albums (not specifically talking GnR here) and it can be disappointing to hear a song you love not cut it live.