Look At Your Game Girl

Hollywood Gunner

It has good lyrics I would guess? If you look at it objectively, mansons version is a great song and most would agree.. its just hard for some to get past the fact that it is manson singing and writing. And charles manson does have a quote about guns n roses covering the song. If you go to youtube and search charles manson 2007 parole hearing he talks about guns n roses somewhere in there. I would guarantee he's heard it... you know they have tv and radios, etc. in prison. Plus manson gets a ton of visitors who can bring in cds as long as they are approved.

Axl was obsessed with manson. During the 1993 tour he wore manson shirts and hats at almost every show.

Yeah what was tha about? Then doing an interview when TSI? came out and he said Manson is the "epitome" of what's wrong with humanity etc and the royalties from the song go to a victim. I always wondered if he thought Manson was so bad, why say "Thanks Chaz" at the end of the track?

oh and i dont really think there was ever a serial killer obsession on axls part... if there was though, hes got way more problems than anyone ever orginally though

Let's see. He released a cover of a song written by a serial killer. He then used the Zodiac code to hide "FUCK 'EM ALL" on TSI?, who was this guy? Yep, a serial killer. He then, logged in this forum as "Dexter" (which is a fictional serial killer) in 2008.

Tell me he isn't obsessed with serial killers lol.

Let's not forget his cat named Dexter

The Beach Boys screwed Manson over by rewriting one of his songs. The question will always remain on whether or not that played a part in setting Manson off on a rampage...

I'm sure someone in GNR management got a letter from San Quentin.

Axl was obsessed with manson. During the 1993 tour he wore manson shirts and hats at almost every show.

Yeah what was tha about? Then doing an interview when TSI? came out and he said Manson is the "epitome" of what's wrong with humanity etc and the royalties from the song go to a victim. I always wondered if he thought Manson was so bad, why say "Thanks Chaz" at the end of the track?

why cover the track in the first place? some kind of revenge.

why cover the track in the first place? some kind of revenge.

Marilyn Manson said that Axl stole his idea of making a cover from a C. Manson song. I don't know if that's true, but fits in the story very well if you look at all the hate Reznor was putting on Axl years after that.

So in a way it was just a cool thing to do around the time the NBK soundtrack came out.

Thats how I see Axl. Like hell find a new band he likes, say The Killers, then hell want to do a Killers type GNR song. I would be surprised he likes Sixx AM.

He still seems like a fan of music, new stuff. Like Lana del rey.

Catcher is like the Lies song on CD. Its just a bit more tasteful.

Edited by wasted

I've honestly never listened to the song but you've peaked my interest.

Del James just put on Facebook Manson should have been paroled by now. Don't know if I agree w/ that!!

As for One in a million. I personally like that song and don't take it as racist. Axl is telling a story just like a movie or book would. Those words were needed to get his point across. I have no issue w/ that.

Del James just put on Facebook Manson should have been paroled by now. Don't know if I agree w/ that!!

As for One in a million. I personally like that song and don't take it as racist. Axl is telling a story just like a movie or book would. Those words were needed to get his point across. I have no issue w/ that.

Del James is a moron for posting that.

I wonder what the media reaction would be like if Manson got paroled? Would he get assassinated?

I actually like the song. But as was said previously in this thread, it was for shock value, nothing more.

And I've always wondered who actually played on this song. I hear acoustic guitar and bongo's. Was Slash playing guitar? Just wondering.

just found this posted somewhere on this forum in 05 but im not sure where he got it - wasnt able to use the quote option, but author was love&hates

Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?.

What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.
In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

I wonder what the media reaction would be like if Manson got paroled? Would he get assassinated?

i dont think he'll ever get out... hes a fucking nutt lol watch his parole hearings and youll understand... kinda seems like he doesnt even want out

I actually like the song. But as was said previously in this thread, it was for shock value, nothing more.

And I've always wondered who actually played on this song. I hear acoustic guitar and bongo's. Was Slash playing guitar? Just wondering.

i read somewhere that axls gardener Cralos Booy, played guitar on the track

just found this posted somewhere on this forum in 05 but im not sure where he got it - wasnt able to use the quote option, but author was love&hates

Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?.

What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.

In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

i dont think he'll ever get out... hes a fucking nutt lol watch his parole hearings and youll understand... kinda seems like he doesnt even want out

Nice find. Thats a great answer from Axl.

Im familiar w Charlie, check this out, He's fucked in the head alright, lol