Changes to MYGNRFORUM.com

highvoltage

I'm excited for these changes! Way to go mod and admin team. I hope that the more disruptive of us can calm down a little bit and reign in their inner pain in the ass.

I think comments like yours are probably part of the problem.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. While you aren't necessarily rude I have noticed you consistently attack everybody else when their opinion is different to yours.

Perhaps you also need to calm down a little bit?

Let's not point fingers right now; it's not needed and I don't think Daria was necessarily excluding herself from her comment.

There are a lot of people here who have simply been "caught up" by the way other people have been posting. I've even noticed it a bit (Dazey) in this thread already.

It's just not on anymore - we want to see threads on-topic and unnecessary provocation/attacking out the door. I'm saying this over and over just so the message gets through - my original post was pretty long and I don't want this to get lost in all the rest of it.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what Chris was asking was,if a band member comes to the forum degrading a forum member like Axl did to Madison,would the mods tolerate such behavior from a band member?

No, I don't think so. But it depends on the circumstances. Was Axl's treatment of madison a good thing? No - but there's a more to the madison story than was made public, and people need to realise that the "security guard" incident was the last straw in a series of issues that had arisen between madison and the rest of the staff. If you have any further questions about this incident, I'm happy to talk about it over PM's but I'd prefer it didn't continue in this topic.

I always felt that the people who, and in essence continue to, put this band on the map should not be swept under what's essentially the basement of the forum. Glad you guys finally see it that way too.

Overall, I'm cool with the new rules. I just hope this place doesn't become as neutered and censored as it was before you and Subs took over.

I just hope this place doesn't become as neutered and censored as it was before you and Subs took over.

Agree with that. It may seem counter-intuitive to do these two things at the same time (expand D&N while also cracking down on trolling), but it can easily be done. There is no reason for people to be disrespectful and rude, especially with some of the recent posts going completely over the line in terms of personal insults ... and of course I have always been in the camp that "Discussion and News" of Guns n' Roses topics should include all eras of the band because they are all, after all, about Guns n' Roses.

Edited by axlsalinger

I like most of the changes however the discussion and news bit Im unsure about.

I really don't like the idea of all eras on one area.

Let's see where it goes.

Initially, I put this forward as a trial some time ago. As time went on and we got used to the idea, we more or less unanimously decided to go for it permanently straight away.

I haven't merged the Hall of Fame sections yet, but I see this creating a bit of a new dynamic here when there's not a lot to discuss about the current band that hasn't been covered already. Most people use this section more frequently, and having too many subforums is a barrier to people who just read potentially signing up. We always have a lot more readers than logged in members, and we want to try and encourage those people to register and participate.

I also think the new Side Projects forum will work well and attract more people by having a clearer purpose and wider scope for threads. Altogether, I'm confident it will raise the standard overall, not take away from it. Less subforums will work out better in the long run.

Like a lot of people have noticed... we did put a lot of thought into this. :)

Anytime the band goes on hiatus, the forum becomes a graveyard. At least this way, D&N will remain somewhat active with different topics. There's just so much you can talk about when a band isn't touring or releasing any music. Even when they were touring, it wasn't all that interesting. So hopefully this allows ALL fans to stick around and keep discussion going.

I think what Chris was asking was,if a band member comes to the forum degrading a forum member like Axl did to Madison,would the mods tolerate such behavior from a band member?

No, I don't think so. But it depends on the circumstances. Was Axl's treatment of madison a good thing? No - but there's a more to the madison story than was made public, and people need to realise that the "security guard" incident was the last straw in a series of issues that had arisen between madison and the rest of the staff. If you have any further questions about this incident, I'm happy to talk about it over PM's but I'd prefer it didn't continue in this topic.

No, i don't have any questions at all. It's just that if something like that WOULD happen again, could it be done in PM's rather than a public dust up.

Good point about encouraging readers to join up. It can be quite daunting to dip your toe into this forum, it took me eight months of lurking before I did despite the board vibe being more positive then. I imagine anyone visiting recently has been scared off! Hopefully new structure and moderation will show improvement in time.

The changes to the D&N section are spot on in my opinion. If the mods stick with their intention to strictly moderate that section and people post anything none GnR related in "Side Projects" then it will work well. Also with attitude still open people can vent all they want without worry of censure. Good work men! Carry on! :D

So wheres the slash section now

Discussions about Slash's band will go in the Side Projects section. The only time a discussion involving Slash would go in D&N is when it's GN'R related. Same goes for any other members, past or present. So for example, BBF hot sauce threads will go in Side Projects.

So wheres the slash section now

Discussions about Slash's band will go in the Side Projects section. The only time a discussion involving Slash would go in D&N is when it's GN'R related. Same goes for any other members, past or present. So for example, BBF hot sauce threads will go in Side Projects.

so how about the Vanessa is pregnant thread? does that count as a 'side project'? :P

Shouldn't you start moderating right away then? Why is the babies vs babies still alive in the... whatever this new section is. :(

And why are BBAs fabricated cupcake threads permitted? I want this richard fortus "interview" thread deleted, and the user in question also put under special scrutiny because it has been demonstrated time and time again how he concocts stuff up himself, like the fake interview here, to stir up trouble. :(

Edited by phaeryen

And now there is a Slash efficiency thread created here, when it obviously is a sideprojects section topic.

I restate my firm belief that the classic lineup and the people involved need to be relegated to another section other than GNR discussion & news.

The efficiency of Slash is not a GNR related issue, so this has to be moved to the sideprojects section.

Many would say that Slash is a more legitimate continuation of GNR than Axl's project. It's good to compare.

^This is the type of material we shall see clutter on the new D&N section. Please reconsider separating classic lineup, and older, to a separate section of the forum. It's for clarity and enjoyability.

The efficiency of Slash is not a GNR related issue, so this has to be moved to the sideprojects section.

Many would say that Slash is a more legitimate continuation of GNR than Axl's project. It's good to compare.

^This is the type of material we shall see clutter on the new D&N section.

But you won't because it's not GnR related.

^This is the type of material we shall see clutter on the new D&N section.

But you won't because it's not GnR related.

It will be posted here regardless because a setting like this is what the slashites have been waiting for for years.

edit:

now we have a duff v tommy "who is better @bass" thread.

It's like a ten year old topic, created just to start more old gnr v nugnr fighting. Also, the topic has been covered extensively over the years already. Is this the kind of "main forum" we actually want and need?

Edited by phaeryen

It will be posted here regardless because a setting like this is what the slashites have been waiting for for years.

Then the mods will move or delete it and issues suspensions to those responsible if it continues to happen.

Then the mods will move or delete it and issues suspensions to those responsible if it continues to happen.

and if you scroll a few pages back you will find my theory on how and why most likely will not happen. hopefully I am wrong.

as it is, the trolly threads are still here, no deletes, no moves, and no suspensions.

:(

edit: Why would you have to be lenient on the "first timers" here anyway? They've known for years it's not OK to post "apocalyptic love > CD" type of non-informative flame here. Now they can't control themselves and are squirting these posts here "because things are different", and it will escalate from here.

Everyone, them included, knows it's not cool. Everyone, them included, has known this for years. Yet here we now are. Tommy vs Duff who is better at bass, apocalyptic love > CD, and "Slash is more efficient as an artist than Axl". All of this exhausting, insanely non-informative trollflame, all of this in under 24 hours of the change.

please reconsider.

Edited by phaeryen