Red Hot Chili Peppers - Appreciation Thread

LuanVictor

Under the Bridge is what got me into them. It's one of the four music videos I remember seeing as a little kid. When I was about 12 I asked for What Hits?! and Californication for Christmas. I didn't get either. I later joined one of those buy one get seven free CD clubs and got their first four albums, of which I only like Mother's Milk. I later bought BSSM and the rest (minus the Dave Navarro album).

Just for the hell of it I think I'll listen to their first three. I haven't done it in a while.

Didn't they do Yertle the Turtle on Freaky Styley?

Love the Chillis. Anyone else prefer One Hot Minute to Californication?

I also prefer I'm With You to Stadium Arcadium. There's some solid stuff on SA, but a shit load of pointless filler. It could've been a great single album, but as it stands it's only a half decent record.

I'm With You took me and a lot of Chilli fans by surprise. Great little record. Never bothered checking out the outtakes. How many are there?

Edited by Towelie

Didn't they do Yertle the Turtle on Freaky Styley?

Yes.

My favorite songs from the first three albums:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Green Heaven, Out In L.A. and Police Helicopter.

Freaky Styley - Yertle The Turtle, Catholic School Girls Rule and Nevermind.

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan - Organic Anti-Beat Box Band, Fight Like A Brave, Backwoods and Me And My Friends.

Unfortunately RHCP is done without Frusciante...I'm With You was average and they don't have the same energy and chemistry live now....and to mention that this new guy isn't even close to Frusciante considering guitar skills I'm not even going into comparing them as songwriters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, total Pepperhead here. They're my favorite band. My favorite of their albums is Blood Sugar Sex Magik, but in my opinion their best lineup was the one that did Uplift Mofo Party Plan - Kiedis, Flea, Slovak and Irons. Actually Hillel Slovak is my favorite guitarist (hence my username!). I'll respectfully disagree with a statement above regarding Frusciante vs. Klinghoffer - Josh has brought tremendous energy to the band. Their newest b-side releases, Hanalei and Open/Close in particular, kick so much ass. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the next album.

• 2 weeks later...

I recomend this bootleg to you guys, best live versions from IWY World Tour, soundboard from the official bootlegs:

iwyworldtour.jpg

MP3:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Qk5GhZCJ!UB2WT1AUfFcScHwskJdZI0-AKLVb7mCKTCXjmqXT8CY
https://mega.co.nz/#!Y84SQAJK!H0jIOgJ6BAQeL59SmeH6xmj7kg12z_SYMMPqSbNGjj0

FLAC:

https://mega.co.nz/#!QoYxDbAK!RD7ikXzec2S0T-BgvsHB3hJiITgUS8yWlKoUpfyellM
https://mega.co.nz/#!MpAjDBjY!KS3T2BSdApyFRQPqxd3iMGKzmFEkwbwClXCM_rNLfUE
https://mega.co.nz/#!5ko13IDJ!QlF4JBfUpwo5wTi9l1ZZhDjtum5IoopjHhFxvsqrpAw
https://mega.co.nz/#!E553WBSZ!TmTE-kz1Ae4qzt_rmcccxAziPOoO_EJuRbfrGcracRU
https://mega.co.nz/#!EwpWUBTQ!JCWqeCMuwiqRkseSStc7yXlYS0tgz9Vs9avWsyi9h6A

Monarchy Of Roses - 2013/02/02 Johannesburg, ZAF
Jam 1 - 2012/11/01 Milwaukee, WI
Around The World - 2012/07/27 Warsaw, POL
Dani California - 2012/08/01 Tampere, FIN
Scar Tissue - 2012/06/28 Nijmegen, HOL
Annie Wants A Baby - 2012/04/06 Charlotte, NC
Tell Me Baby - 2012/11/26 Winnipeg, MB
Look Around - 2012/07/07 Madrid, Spain
She's Only 18 - 2012/11/01 Milwaukee, WI
Jam 2 - 2012/09/06 Beirut, LBN
Universally Speaking - 2012/09/06 Beirut, LBN
Otherside - 2012/07/25 Kiev, UKR
I Could Have Lied - 2012/08/15 Oakland, CA
Snow ((Hey Oh)) - 2012/07/01 Werchter, BEL
Jam 3 - 2012/07/01 Werchter, BEL
Bach Cello Suite No. 2 In D Minor [Minuet I] (Flea) - 2012/10/22 Oklahoma City, OK
Don't Forget Me - 2012/05/07 Boston, MA
Emit Remmus - 2011/05/02 Montreal, ON
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - 2012/06/30 Paris, FRA
Ethiopia - 2012/07/28 Kaunas, LIT
If You Have To Ask - 2012/11/15 Seattle, WA
Jam 4 - 2012/08/27 Prague, CZE
Breaking The Girl - 2012/07/30 Tallinn, EST
Orange Claw Hammer (Flea) - 2012/09/01 Sofia, BGR
The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie - 2012/11/22 Edmonton, AB
Can't Stop - 2012/07/03 Berne, SWI
Hollywood (Africa) [Tease] - 2013/02/02 Johannesburg, ZAF
Jam 5 - 2012/10/04 New Orleans, LA
Soul To Squeeze - 2012/10/04 New Orleans, LA
Jam 6 - 2011/11/14 Manchester, UK
Charlie - 2011/11/14 Manchester, UK
American Ghost Dance [snippet] - 2011/12/07 Vienna, AUS
Jam 7 - 2012/11/17 Vancouver, BC
I Like Dirt - 2013/03/06 Mexico City, MEX
What In The World - 2013/01/15 Auckland, NZL
Hard To Concentrate - 2012/06/26 Dublin, IRE
Pea (Flea) - 2012/06/23 Stevenage Herts, UK
Right On Time - 2012/10/28 Omaha, NE
Apache Rose Peacock [snippet] - 2012/10/04 New Orleans, LA
Throw Away Your Television - 2012/06/28 Nijmegen, HOL
(We Don't Need This) Facist Groove Thang - 2011/11/17 Sheffield, UK
Long Progression [Tease] - 2012/08/25 Gelsenkirchen, DEU
Strip My Mind - 2012/05/04 Newark, NJ
Factory Of Faith - 2012/06/26 Dublin, IRE
My Lovely Man [Tease] - 2012/09/10 Tel Aviv, ISR
Happiness Loves Company - 2012/03/31 Orlando, FL
Warsawa [snippet] - 2012/07/27 Warsaw, POL
Police Station - 2012/04/02 Sunrise, FL
Parallel Universe - 2012/07/07 Madrid, ESP
Higher Ground - 2012/09/01 Sofia, BGR
Wet Sand - 2012/08/14 Oakland, CA
Jam 8 - 2012/10/14 Austin, TX
Don't Dream It's Over [Josh Snippet] - 2013/01/15 Auckland, NZL
Jam 9 - 2011/12/13 Zurich, CHE
Me & My Friends - 2011/12/13 Zurich, CHE
Did I Let You Know - 2012/11/21 Edmonton, AB
Dosed [Tease] - 2012/09/04 Athens, GRC
Under The Bridge - 2013/02/05 Cape Town, ZAF
Goodbye Hooray - 2012/05/02 Montreal, QC
Jam 10 - 2012/08/11 Los Angeles, CA
Pink As Floyd [snippet] - 2012/08/11 Los Angeles, CA
Cello Jam - 2012/08/29 Zagreb, HRV
Californication - 2012/08/29 Zagreb, HRV
Everybody Dance [snippet] - 2011/12/04 Berlin, DEU
By The Way - 2012/07/07 Madrid, ESP

Encore Jam 1 - 2012/30/05 Pittsburgh, PA
Io Sono Quel Che Sono (Josh) - 2011/12/11 Milan, ITA
Hey - 2012/05/28 Rosemont, IL
Brendan's Death Song - 2012/08/04 Chicago, IL
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 2012/10/02 Dallas, TX
Jam 11 - 20 12/09/06 Beirut, LBN
Sir Psycho Sexy - 2012/05/25 St. Louis, MO
They're Red Hot - 2012/10/28 Omaha, NE
Dance Dance Dance - 2011/08/30 Cologne, DEU

Encore Jam 2 - 2012/05/19 Gulf Shores, AL
So What'cha Want [Tease] - 2012/05/04 Newark, NJ
Freaky Styley - 2012/04/10 Duluth, GA
Making Our Dreams Come True (Josh) - 2011/11/01 Milwaukee, WI
Meet Me At The Corner - 2012/08/14 Oakland, CA
The Wanton Song [Tease] - 2012/09/25 Glendale, AZ
Suck My Kiss - 2012/06/06 Cincinatti, OH
Jam 12 - 2012/11/01 Milwaukee, WI
The Power Of Equality - 2012/07/05 Milan, ITA

Encore Jam 3 - 2013/01/26 Melbourne, AUS
Magic Johnson [Tease] - 2012/08/12 Los Angeles, CA
Sunday Bloody Sunday [Tease] - 2012/06/26 Dublin, IRE
Fire - 2012/07/05 Milan, ITA
Give It Away - 2013/03/09 Guatemala City, GTM
In Love Dying [Jam] - 2012/07/05 Milan, ITA

Thanks Leni, from Stadium Arcadium forum.

• Like 1

I am a huge Frusciante fan, and while I believe that no future RHCP album will be as amazing as their previous work with John, I would rather have them keep releasing new music with Klinghoffer than not release any new music at all. John's solo work is amazing in its own right, and I would rather keep listening to new music from both of them, than none from any of them.

Edited by Ricky_Rose

I am a huge Frusciante fan, and while I believe that no future RHCP album will be as amazing as their previous work with John, I would rather have them keep releasing new music with Klinghoffer than not release any new music at all. John's solo work is amazing in its own right, and I would rather keep listening to new music from both of them, than none from any of them.

10 years or so from now, if you look back and start from around the year 2000 (starting with Californication), I think Frusciante will be near the top of the list of best guitarists from this era.

Frusciante was obviously superior to the new guy, but let's not kid ourselves either: they've been a singles band for ages (many people might even argue since their first album), which is part of the reason Frusciante purposely sabotaged them at many times during their career (including their big debut on SNL) -- as talented as he is, I think he always thought he was better than the band and detested what it represented, so...people whining about him leaving, y'know, I think maybe he's happier now, and maybe the band is also.

Blood Sugar.. is a great record but everything since then, for me, has mainly been singles, with the occasional random underrated track. Off Stadium Arcadium I really loved "Desecration Smile" which never got much attention. But the big lead single (Dani California) was pure RHCP and easily fits in on a Greatest Hits compilation as does the lead single from I'm With You (a mediocre album I'll concede, but Rain Dance Maggie is the band doing what it does best).

Funny as hell induction by Chris Rock ...

"If Brian Wilson and George Clinton had a kid, he'd be as ugly as fuck ... but he would sound like the Chili Peppers."

"And then they had socks on their dicks. And I'd never been to like a white show before, so I thought all white groups put socks on their dicks."

"The music is hard core happiness."

Unfortunately RHCP is done without Frusciante...I'm With You was average and they don't have the same energy and chemistry live now....and to mention that this new guy isn't even close to Frusciante considering guitar skills I'm not even going into comparing them as songwriters.

Frusciante was obviously superior to the new guy, but let's not kid ourselves either: they've been a singles band for ages (many people might even argue since their first album), which is part of the reason Frusciante purposely sabotaged them at many times during their career (including their big debut on SNL) -- as talented as he is, I think he always thought he was better than the band and detested what it represented, so...people whining about him leaving, y'know, I think maybe he's happier now, and maybe the band is also.

Blood Sugar.. is a great record but everything since then, for me, has mainly been singles, with the occasional random underrated track. Off Stadium Arcadium I really loved "Desecration Smile" which never got much attention. But the big lead single (Dani California) was pure RHCP and easily fits in on a Greatest Hits compilation as does the lead single from I'm With You (a mediocre album I'll concede, but Rain Dance Maggie is the band doing what it does best).

that's a big pile of bullshit man...

singles band...

lolocaust

that's a big pile of bullshit man...

singles band...

lolocaust

Nothing I said seems unfair to me. Obviously on a forum for a rock band like GN'R you're going to find a lot of die-hard fans of bands like Chili Peppers since they're somewhat similar and I like them a lot, I'm not saying they suck, but outside Blood Sugar (which is kinda like their Appetite for Destruction) they've never exactly been considered a consistent album band by most people, it's often a couple big hit singles and a lot of filler... especially their last couple records, Stadium and I'm With You both received fairly average reviews. I'm not hating on them, I always find a few songs on each record that I like, but they pump out a lot of mediocrity too.

• 2 months later...

I've seen them twice, once at the Hall of Fame at once at Orion Music + More festival where they did a full set.

They are good but they aren't a live band that blew me away. I think not having Frusciante in the band really hurts. I'm not saying Josh is bad, but something seemed to be missing both times.

Still a great band and I am glad I saw them the times I did