Guns N' Roses Twitter post about New Album!

Jakey Styley

Great post ER, very well put. Just more supporting evidence that I was correct in passing on seeing the band in Toronto last month. This kind of "fuck you" attitude by the band towards its fans has gone on for far too long. After the R&R HOF announcement I had hit my ceiling for what I was willing to tolerate. I don't think Axl is necessarily a bad person, but someone who really only gives a shit about himself. It's taken me a long time to get over that fact and move on. It's a shame really, because I would have been the first one at any concert if I felt that Axl in any way respected his relationship with his fans. But he clearly doesn't so I can't spend much more time, money, or energy on a guy who lives in his Malibu mansion thinking the world is still out to get him.

Though I do disagree with your statement that Axl will always be able to get by on the GNR name. Maybe he can still draw 10-15k in far off places like South America or Japan, but the band couldn't even fill a 3k venue in a top five market in North America (Toronto). He's either going to have to come way down on his quote or promoters will simply stop booking the band. That, or ticket prices will reach $500-$1000 and the band plays for the 500 saps still willing to pay to hear SCOM for the 28th time by guys who had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the song. As many have pointed out, if the point of taking the GNR name was to protect and honor it, he's doing a pretty fucking lousy job at it. The band could not be any more of a joke than it is today. I almost envy diehard Sound Garden fans who one day in 1997 received a public announcement stating that the band was done. Axl should have done the same in 1996.

It's sad that who Axl detests the most are those who care the most for him. What an ungrateful cunt (if he gets away calling a forum member this, fairness dictates that he receive the same treatment).

Edited by downzy

Great post ER, very well put. Just more supporting evidence that I was correct in passing on seeing the band in Toronto last month. This kind of "fuck you" attitude by the band towards its fans has gone on for far too long. After the R&R HOF announcement I had hit my ceiling for what I was willing to tolerate. I don't think Axl is necessarily a bad person, but someone who really only gives a shit about himself. It's taken me a long time to get over that fact and move on. It's a shame really, because I would have been the first one at any concert if I felt that Axl in any way respected his relationship with his fans. But he clearly doesn't so I can't spend much more time, money, or energy on a guy who lives in his Malibu mansion thinking the world is still out to get him.

Though I do disagree with your statement that Axl will always be able to get by on the GNR name. Maybe he can still draw 10-15k in far off places like South America or Japan, but the band couldn't even fill a 3k venue in a top five market in North America (Toronto). He's either going to have to come way down on his quote or promoters will simply stop booking the band. That, or ticket prices will reach $500-$1000 and the band plays for the 500 saps still willing to pay to hear SCOM for the 28th time by guys who had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the song. As many have pointed out, if the point of taking the GNR name was to protect and honor it, he's doing a pretty fucking lousy job at it. The band could not be any more of a joke than it is today.

Very well stated, I could have written the first paragraph myself and agree with it wholeheartedly. I was very upset with the letter he wrote regarding the R&RHOF. The way it was handled. It's his life, and he'll do what he wants, and that's cool, but everything he said publicly about honouring the band name and moving the group forward have turned out to be completely and utterly untrue. NuGNR as a creative or functional entity has been a complete and utter failure. He did well re-creating the band twice, with the Buckethead lineup, and the current lineup, but both times ruined it with inactivity. It's inexplicable. I agree that he's not necessarily a bad guy, and that many things that go wrong in GNR-Land are out of his control, but he simply cannot get out of his own way and establish any forward momentum. The only times he has done so in 20 years, are for a couple of months in 2002, a couple of months in 2006, and a couple of months in 2010.

I almost envy diehard Sound Garden fans who one day in 1997 received a public announcement stating that the band was done. Axl should have done the same in 1996.

It is sad, and never fun, to admit defeat, but it's clear in retrospect that this is what he should have done. Someday he will realize that he can't go back and change what happened, no matter how much of it wasn't his fault, or how much of it was. The only thing he can actually, physically, ever be able to do, is change what happens next. Or actually, maybe he will never realize that.

In the hands of the right people this act could go all the way to the top. Again!. There are people in the idustry that could transform this dysfunctional complaicent band into a juggernaught. Axl has flogged the past glory of GNR for fucking 15 years to long. The longer this shit keeps going on the more I am inclined to believe every thing that the former members of GNR said about him.

Even if GNR made an amazing perfect album, it's hard to predict whether or not people would take to it. You're talking about a band that was a phenomenon at one point and trying to recreate that phenomenon. The industry just makes sure people know the music exists, and sometimes they don't even do it that well.

I guess all these things can happen really quickly. They could book a tour next month. Get given a slot for a new record release next year. Rockfuel might decide to pit out the dvd this summer.

Even releasing one song online for the fans will do wonders imo. Atlas Shrugged on the official site. It was intended to be on Chinese anyway.

Fuck, put it on iTunes and the website for $1.29, and then continue every other month with the other finished tracks. God knows everyone here would buy them. Anything beats the dust they've been collecting all these years.

All it takes is a little fucking effort.

I think that when it comes to releasing music (once every 20 years or so) Axl is not very modern, or he doesn't really see it as a good enough way to release Gn'R material. My guess is the only proper way in his eyes to release his music is in the form of a physical album.

Basically the opposite of Izzy and Bumble when it comes to that. I don't believe Axl will just release one song at a time.

I think thats how Axl works, he doesnt fit the twitter age. Hes suiting up for another reinvention, another epic album that isnt released til its ready whether they are releasing cds anymore or the whole of the US is sold to China. Hes gotta have something to say on album, its not just maybe baby bon jovi bullshit. No offense to bj and the boys. CD was a huge record they arent going to mail in the next in the after glow. Theyll wait for 10 years and release it into the anticipation.

So what's the prediction now? 2 years? 5? How long before another album is released?

It's been almost 5 years already since Chinese. Maybe another 3 or 4. And that's for the Chinese leftovers of course. Not a new album with the current line up. Bumble's beard will be totally gray by the time they'll enter a studio together, if ever.

I think 2018 was realistic after CD II didnt come by2012. but Operation Mind crime 2 came out 10 years later.

but do we need more CD stuff, the statement has been made. But is there enough time to do another album GNR style.

So what's the prediction now? 2 years? 5? How long before another album is released?

It's been almost 5 years already since Chinese. Maybe another 3 or 4. And that's for the Chinese leftovers of course. Not a new album with the current line up. Bumble's beard will be totally gray by the time they'll enter a studio together, if ever.

i dont think we will get another album until axl passes away and the vultures break into his vault before his body is even in the ground, for one last payday.

I am really not bothered by this in the slightest and I'll tell you why.

I waited eagerly from the day I bought the End Of Days soundtrack till November 2008 for an album to be released. After a while I thought I was wasting my time as it would never come out.

5 years later, not once have I thought about the possibility of a new album being released. As nice as it would be, I won't give it the time of day.

If they release something great, if not I don't give a fuck.

Edited by F*ck Fear

I am really not bothered by this in the slightest and I'll tell you why.

I waited eagerly from the day I bought the End Of Days soundtrack till November 2008 for an album to be released. After a while I thought I was wasting my time as it would never come out.

5 years later, not once have I thought about the possibility of a new album being released. As nice as it would be, I won't give it the time of day.

If they release something great, if not I don't give a fuck.

I have thought for a while now that any new material will be released posthumously. Sucks to think that, and sucks more if true, but...

i dont think we will get another album until axl passes away and the vultures break into his vault before his body is even in the ground, for one last payday.

I didn't see your post before I wrote the above, but yeah. sad but, unfortunately, probably true.

Albums dont sell anymore. Releasing a new album would tarnish GNR's legacy, because it wouldnt sell much even if it was great.

That is not true. Yes, albums don't sell, but GNR (for some ridiculous reason) still has people in the press that want to talk about them. If they released an album that was GREAT, it would absolutely 100% get talked about. People wouldn't be able to believe Guns N Roses, a band that has fought up and down for close to 30 years, was actually able to put out an album of beyond decent material. It would get people talking and it would translate into profitable sales. And even more importantly, it would be positive buzz for GNR which should be more important to Axl than money.

This exactly.

This statement is dreadfully worded, and it does nothing to inspire any confidence in anything new even being written anytime soon.

Is the disconnect between management and the fans now so great that they don't have an inkling of how important new music is to the fanbase? Seriously.

Not out to bash "Team Brazil," but I do think having them at the helm of the band is bad. Maybe not for Axl -- it's probably great for him: he has family to trust, he doesn't have to worry about a manager subversively attempting to reunite him with old bandmembers for a big paycheck. He gets to coast by and tour endlessly and do what he's ostensibly wanted to do for years, which is kind of rest on his laurels a bit, and they're not putting any pressure on him to do otherwise. They're pretty much the first manager he's had, I'd wager, who don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

... Which is the problem for the rest of us, the fans, and why TB ain't the best choice of managers for someone who can be notoriously indecisive and didn't release an album in a decade and a half. They're going to just enable his behaviour. And I'm sure if he read this he'd get that "I don't owe the fans anything" mentality, and that's all well and good, but then don't be surprised when the fans stop showing up to the gigs. Sadly, he'll probably always be able to somewhat coast by on the GN'R brand name -- there are always going to be casual rock fans who show up to concerts to hear the big hits -- but I think that's where he mistakes the "fans" for the casual listeners, and in the process really kind of slaps the fanbase who stuck by him for years and years in the face. There's always been this kind of animosity towards "us" (collectively, as in, all online fans), and even in 2006 he had a few mini rants about the online communities. I remember him bitching at a gig in Ireland, I think, about how he couldn't give a shit about people online complaining about identical setlists, because he's "performing for the people who come to the shows" -- as if it never occurred to him that plenty of fans on the forums DO pay to go see gigs (multiple times), but, due to monetary issues and geographical issues, aren't able to fly around the world and go see every single gig. If -- as was the case -- some fans online paid to see multiple shows and got the same setlists and had a criticism about that fact, then it's not just "haters whining on the internet" who don't go to shows -- it's a valid fucking criticism and something that most bands would take into consideration. It also didn't occur to him, I guess, that probably 90% of his audiences on any given night were just casual music fans paying to see the hits played -- the sort of casual music fans who didn't rush out and buy his new album when we did.

The Internet fans were the only ones who really held out hope and had a vested interest in ChiDem when others mocked and ridiculed it. We were forced to congregate here online to discuss it and the band for years because there was silence, canceled tours, etc. The average, casual rock fan wasn't just disinterested in 'NuGNR' -- they were ignorant of the band's activity because of how difficult it was to even follow them for so long. I can't tell you how many times over the years I wasn't even able to hold a conversation with another music fan IRL about GN'R because they had literally no knowledge of the band post-breakup. Being a fan of this band has been challenging. I just feel like sometimes -- hell, very often, actually -- the online fanbase is derided as whiners and complainers and perceived as an enemy when, in fact, even just an appearance on a fucking talk show from Axl had people happy for weeks. It really doesn't take much to appease people on the forums. People only bitch because of behaviour like this from the people running the band, who somehow perceive us as ungrateful twerps, it seems. I really don't get it.

After this update, I have very little, if any, dwindling hope left for new material of any kind. I don't see pressure from the label - Geffen/Universal probably has already written off all older Chi Dem sessions by now and wouldn't be badgering Axl about a follow-up given the lackluster sales of that album - and I don't see much interest from anyone in the band except Bumblefoot and, to some extent, Ashba, who I think is only truly interested in writing new music because it'd help further publicize his name. Which I can't fault him for - at least he wants to do new music.

Edited by T.W.A.T.

Axl knows he can do whatever the fuck he wants and we'll all be waiting with open arms when/if he ever decides to release another record.

We're like Rhianna and he's Chris Brown. He can beat us to a fucking pulp, give us two black eyes and a fat lip but he knows eventually we'll come back to suck his dick.

Estranged Reality, on 06 Aug 2013 - 8:43 PM, said:

Not out to bash "Team Brazil," but I do think having them at the helm of the band is bad. Maybe not for Axl -- it's probably great for him: he has family to trust, he doesn't have to worry about a manager subversively attempting to reunite him with old bandmembers for a big paycheck. He gets to coast by and tour endlessly and do what he's ostensibly wanted to do for years, which is kind of rest on his laurels a bit, and they're not putting any pressure on him to do otherwise. They're pretty much the first manager he's had, I'd wager, who don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

... Which is the problem for the rest of us, the fans, and why TB ain't the best choice of managers for someone who can be notoriously indecisive and didn't release an album in a decade and a half. They're going to just enable his behaviour. And I'm sure if he read this he'd get that "I don't owe the fans anything" mentality, and that's all well and good, but then don't be surprised when the fans stop showing up to the gigs. Sadly, he'll probably always be able to somewhat coast by on the GN'R brand name -- there are always going to be casual rock fans who show up to concerts to hear the big hits -- but I think that's where he mistakes the "fans" for the casual listeners, and in the process really kind of slaps the fanbase who stuck by him for years and years in the face. There's always been this kind of animosity towards "us" (collectively, as in, all online fans), and even in 2006 he had a few mini rants about the online communities. I remember him bitching at a gig in Ireland, I think, about how he couldn't give a shit about people online complaining about identical setlists, because he's "performing for the people who come to the shows" -- as if it never occurred to him that plenty of fans on the forums DO pay to go see gigs (multiple times), but, due to monetary issues and geographical issues, aren't able to fly around the world and go see every single gig. If -- as was the case -- some fans online paid to see multiple shows and got the same setlists and had a criticism about that fact, then it's not just "haters whining on the internet" who don't go to shows -- it's a valid fucking criticism and something that most bands would take into consideration. It also didn't occur to him, I guess, that probably 90% of his audiences on any given night were just casual music fans paying to see the hits played -- the sort of casual music fans who didn't rush out and buy his new album when we did.

The Internet fans were the only ones who really held out hope and had a vested interest in ChiDem when others mocked and ridiculed it. We were forced to congregate here online to discuss it and the band for years because there was silence, canceled tours, etc. The average, casual rock fan wasn't just disinterested in 'NuGNR' -- they were ignorant of the band's activity because of how difficult it was to even follow them for so long. I can't tell you how many times over the years I wasn't even able to hold a conversation with another music fan IRL about GN'R because they had literally no knowledge of the band post-breakup. Being a fan of this band has been challenging. I just feel like sometimes -- hell, very often, actually -- the online fanbase is derided as whiners and complainers and perceived as an enemy when, in fact, even just an appearance on a fucking talk show from Axl had people happy for weeks. It really doesn't take much to appease people on the forums. People only bitch because of behaviour like this from the people running the band, who somehow perceive us as ungrateful twerps, it seems. I really don't get it.

After this update, I have very little, if any, dwindling hope left for new material of any kind. I don't see pressure from the label - Geffen/Universal probably has already written off all older Chi Dem sessions by now and wouldn't be badgering Axl about a follow-up given the lackluster sales of that album - and I don't see much interest from anyone in the band except Bumblefoot and, to some extent, Ashba, who I think is only truly interested in writing new music because it'd help further publicize his name. Which I can't fault him for - at least he wants to do new music.

He gets to coast by and tour endlessly and do what he's ostensibly wanted to do for years

You mean get paid for his work and art he created? I suppose 3 hour shows with music Axl created/collaboated/owns is "coasting"? What do you do for a living, and do you call yourself coasting when you get paid for the supply that is demanded? I have absolutely no idea what you mean by coasting? He gets money for his work, which is what we all do. i am sorry he does not have to work as hard as some others do, but that is not a bad thing, and something we all strive for, no?

They're pretty much the first manager he's had, I'd wager, who don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Or do you mean doesn't force him him to do what YOU think he should do?

Which is the problem for the rest of us, the fans,

Speak for yourself, there are plenty of us that realize that 50+ year old guys are allowed to slow down, and enjoy the benefits of their life's work, and do not feel the need to be at the mercy of career advice of people half their age with no experience in their field of endeavor.

just enable his behaviour.

Semi retired, and being the boss of his own business? How dare he nt do what you think he should do with his life. After all, you often leave your career decisions to millions of strangers don't you?

but then don't be surprised when the fans stop showing up to the gigs

I have never hear Axl ay his, or even hint that he expects people to continue to show up in the numbers they did when he was younger, in his prime, and in the spotlight. I highly doubt Axl sits at home and says "Damn, I have released one CD in 15 years, I am surprisd I am not packing stadiums."

Sadly, he'll probably always be able to somewhat coast by on the GN'R brand nam

How is it sad that he can rely on a name he owns with his actual surname in the title, that he created before Slash etc were there? I'm sorry, what is the statute of limitations on gaining income on your product you created?

he couldn't give a shit about people online complaining about identical setlists, because he's "performing for the people who come to the shows" -

How dare he defend himself against a group whney fans who complain about shows they don't go to. I guess you could also complain about movies you don't see, etc. Makes about as much sense. i have no idea why people I\who don't have to pay for something and don't attend complain. Never understood that. Kin of like complaining about the food in a restaurant you don't eat at.

Edited by Gunzen
  • Like 1

The Internet fans were the only ones who really held out hope and had a vested interest in ChiDem when others mocked and ridiculed it.

This is made up horseshit, and complete speculation, I have about 10 friends who bough CD and none of them have an account here. I don't know where you got that data from?

We were forced to congregate here online to discuss it and the band for years because there was silence, canceled tours, etc. T

You have GOT to be kidding me? Who exactly forced you? Do you know the definition of forced? How were you forced, and what weapons were involved? Or was it blackmail? Threatened loss of job? How did mean old uncle Axl force you?

It really doesn't take much to appease people on the forums

All Ax has to do is live his life like you guys think he should, and not do what he wants, and that's all this forum needs. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!

People only bitch because of behaviour like this from the people running the band, who somehow perceive us as ungrateful twerps, it seems. I really don't get it.

People bitch because it is a sign f the times , especially in the US, they feel they are entitled to things. Anyone who bitches cause a grown man they will never meet, doesn't do what they want, even though they aren't paying him to do it, are just spoiled.

Go to a show, if Axl doesn't give what he promises to give at the show, then there is your beef, but stop there. Cause the rest is entitlement BS.

I really don't get it

The first thing you said that I agree with.

and I don't see much interest from anyone in the band except Bumblefoot and, to some extent, Ashba

This because you don't know them, and until they decide to make it your business, it is none of yours.Your post was the most pathetic, victimized, a poor widdow baby post I have seen in a while. Until you start giving your life over to strangers, I suggest you save your crying.

Lowest common denominator. Music, sports, and etc. are businesses. And even though our current administration in the US thinks we should not own and run our own affairs, doesn't mean Axl, and any other owner can't. Get your liberal "You owe me" attitude away from our own liberties.

You aren't Axl, you have ALL the power to consume what you want. If you don't like it, don't purchase or support. That is where your power ends.

Big baby. You should lose your man card for that post.

Edited by Gunzen

Great post, this pretty much says it all really