Axl speaks (RS 2000)

Kapitch_77

Here's a excerpt of an interview from Axl in 2000:

Addressing the absence of his old band members, Rose suggests he simply needed to take control to survive. ''It is the old story that you are told when you're a kid: 'Don't buy a car with your friends,' ', he says with his eyes straight ahead.
''Nobody could get the wheel. Everybody had the wheel. And when you have a bunch of guys, I'm telling you, you are driving the car off the cliff. The reality is, go buy those guys' solo records. There are neat ideas and parts there, but they wouldn't have worked for a Guns N` Roses records.''
-------------
I'm assuming Axl thinks Chinese Democracy works for a Guns N' Roses record. Do you agree with him?

Of course not. At some point Axl went from being cool crazy to crazy crazy. The only real debate is when that point was.

I'm not sure why he would think CD works for GNR record... remove the vocals and it doesn't sound like a GNR album at all. Even with the vocals it doesn't quite sound right...

Well, Chinese Democracy has everything I want from a GNR record. Incredible melodies, interesting song structures, deep lyrics, cool riffs, insane screams and awesome guitar solos. I understand that some people don't like it, but to me CD definitly works for a GNR record. Much more so than any of the solo stuff from the other guys. Although they have some gems too.

Of course not. At some point Axl went from being cool crazy to crazy crazy. The only real debate is when that point was.

I'm not sure why he would think CD works for GNR record... remove the vocals and it doesn't sound like a GNR album at all. Even with the vocals it doesn't quite sound right...

I don't think he really believes any of the shit he says about what would "work" for GNR. I think he just twists the narrative of whatever situation he's in to suit his poor little Axl, me against the world, infantile mentality.

I like Chinese Democracy very much. It's not the same band, nor was it intended to be. Might have been a bigger success too, if it had been given a proper release in 2002 or perhaps even 2006.

Nobody could get the wheel. Everybody had the wheel. And when you have a bunch of guys, I'm telling you, you are driving the car off the cliff.

This line makes me chuckle every time, since Axl has done nothing since 1997 other than drive the GNR brand right off the cliff.

I wonder if by that point they had trouble writing together because their lives had gone in different directions and they actually spent very little time together. AFD and UYI tracks up to a point were based on shared experiences and musical interests. By the time theg were trying to write for the next album they all seemed very disparate.

CD sounds nothing like GnR aside from Axl(even that suspect) and Slash's SnakePit, Izzys 90s and Duffs stuff from the 90s have tidbits that sound like GnR but they needed the voice. Still I doubt they could make an epic like the illusions but they could have made a Lies type album something cool.

Thats all I could think while reading that quote. Yeah, some of the solo stuff may not sound like GNR, but your solo effort sounds the furtherest from GNR (and to be honest, aside from maybe Slash, they weren't all trying to make solo stuff that sounded like GNR). That argument only works when Axl isn't dead wrong, which he is here. I'm also sick of hearing people defend Chinese saying its better than UYI or its my favorite album ever. Its just because you chose Axl in the breakup and its the only thing he released. I find it hard to believe fans of GNR genuinely didn't like what Slash Izzy or Duff have put out. The ones saying Chinese is better than UYI are ignorantly not listening to other things

Works for me too. I consider CD to be the "worst" (still great in other words) GNR album, but TWAT and Prostitute are still some of GNR's finest moments and to me a very, well, logical progression from UYI.

VR & the solo projects are pretty 'meh' to me (except for some of Izzy's stuff like Shuffle it all), so yeah, I definitly agree with Axl.

Addressing the absence of his old band members, Rose suggests he simply needed to take control to survive. ''It is the old story that you are told when you're a kid: 'Don't buy a car with your friends,' ', he says with his eyes straight ahead.
''Nobody could get the wheel. Everybody had the wheel. And when you have a bunch of guys, I'm telling you, you are driving the car off the cliff. The reality is, go buy those guys' solo records. There are neat ideas and parts there, but they wouldn't have worked for a Guns N` Roses records.''
-------------
I'm assuming Axl thinks Chinese Democracy works for a Guns N' Roses record. Do you agree with him?

Suprised he endorsed (if you call it that) fans buying Slash's solo work. Must not of hated him as much in 2000 as he does now. "The reality is, go buy those guys' solo records."

Kapitch_77, on 13 Aug 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

-------------

Again what Axl percieved as GNR and the world that made him famous for it doesnt seem to have the same definition. From the start it appears in retrospect that Axl saw GNR as his own personal vison for his own expression and the various players are just contributors to his interpretation. GNR being as big as they were and the way they were marketed and promoted in that 85-93 era solidified a perception of a unified group of misfits that had something important and vital to say and perhaps for a moment in time they did when it was all breaking huge for them.

Again in my opinion, this is the huge argument for his SOLO album to commence because in the end the whole thing came to what we have now and that is definately NOT the GNR i bought into...I bought into the whole amazing way they started, each character and contribution, the way they made it all happen and the difference they made in history. I loved the raw performances..the insistence that what they did was authentic and not contrived drivel, I grooved on the sounds and stories of the collective and not the inner angst of one individual etc...