Do you think Slash should've...

Kapitch_77

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think Slash should've had writing credits for Estranged? The guitar part is pretty important to the whole songs+the solo.

Slash said in his book that Axl had writing credits on some songs that were entirely done music wise before he even sang on it... He had writing credits on Locomotive and Coma for exemple. So why didn't Slash had writing credits for Estranged?

Important or not, that's not how writing credits work.

Thanks for explaining. Oh wait...

Axl just needed to write words on a song to have writing credits, I was wordering why would Slash not have writing credits for composing such a guitar work for that particular song.

Axl just needed to write words on a song to have writing credits, I was wordering why would Slash not have writing credits for composing such a guitar work for that particular song.

Lyrics get credit, always. Guitar riffs/solos don't. That's how it works, fair or not.

Lyrics get credit, always. Guitar riffs/solos don't. That's how it works, fair or not.

Pretty much this.

From a moral standpoint, he should've received credit. But that's not how it works. See all of Mick Taylor's contributions to the Stones. On some songs Keith Richards doesn't even play at all and was probably nodded off somewhere when the song was composed and recorded, but the credit is still "Jagger/Richards".

What about melodies though? Because the guitar melodies he wrote for that pretty much took the course for the whole song.

I don't know. Maybe I'm off base. Either way, just goes to show you that songwriting credits aren't the be all end all when it comes to importance. Think how drastically different that song would be without Slash's contributions.