Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

As good as this song is, and I really like it, you have to realize this isn't GNR, right? I mean, there's no one from GNR on it. Its a group of musicians Axl Rose assembled together that happened to record a song, and a very good one at that. But its not Guns N Roses. It is just a bunch of current musicians making music. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, am I totally wrong? We're getting excited about a song that has NOTHING to do with GNR except for the fact that its made by the people currently in the band. Its got no DNA of actual GNR in it. Again, not to shit on the actual very good song, and I'm sure this will get totally ignored because we have something to talk about. I just figured it should be brought up. Very ironic.

wake up

there was GNR before Slash , Duff , and Steven

there is GNR after Slash, Duff , and Steven

The song isn't awful. First thing that came to mind was sort of a Tom Petty vibe to it.

Thought the same thing

As good as this song is, and I really like it, you have to realize this isn't GNR, right? I mean, there's no one from GNR on it. Its a group of musicians Axl Rose assembled together that happened to record a song, and a very good one at that. But its not Guns N Roses. It is just a bunch of current musicians making music. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean, am I totally wrong? We're getting excited about a song that has NOTHING to do with GNR except for the fact that its made by the people currently in the band. Its got no DNA of actual GNR in it. Again, not to shit on the actual very good song, and I'm sure this will get totally ignored because we have something to talk about. I just figured it should be brought up. Very ironic.

wake up

there was GNR before Slash , Duff , and Steven

There was pantera before Phil anselmo. Doesn't make it any fucking good..

It angers me that this song hasn't been played live yet it's Tommy on leads. Surely he could have played this as his solo spot?

Just goes to show how anti Axl is about debuting new music.

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense why Tommy wouldn't play this. Isn't it better for GNR to have Tommy play a new GNR song in Tommy's solo spot than for Tommy to play a cover of one of his own songs? It makes the band more and more like a tribute/individual project for Axl when that happens. If this song is from so long ago, I couldn't be more baffled about why he wouldn't play it. Kick ass song that is kind of getting ruined by how stubborn Axl is. The question comes into play that does Axl not think its good, not have faith anymore in new material, or is just actively trying to keep new material from coming out (which I don't get what the reasoning for that would be)? Whatever the question and answer, its hurting and has been hurting GNR for years. I've always agreed with Bumble's frustration, but this kind of brings it to a new level.

• Like 1

Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense why Tommy wouldn't play this. Isn't it better for GNR to have Tommy play a new GNR song in Tommy's solo spot than for Tommy to play a cover of one of his own songs? It makes the band more and more like a tribute/individual project for Axl when that happens. If this song is from so long ago, I couldn't be more baffled about why he wouldn't play it. Kick ass song that is kind of getting ruined by how stubborn Axl is. The question comes into play that does Axl not think its good, not have faith anymore in new material, or is just actively trying to keep new material from coming out (which I don't get what the reasoning for that would be)? Whatever the question and answer, its hurting and has been hurting GNR for years. I've always agreed with Bumble's frustration, but this kind of brings it to a new level.

Doubt that, it was on that setlist from 2011 remember. If it reached that stage then Axl must think it's a good song. It is baffling why it hasn't been played though.

Maybe this leak will force them to play it

I guess they dont play it because its demanding for Axl and it could into a shitty song if he's not ready. The solo spots are partially for Axl to regain his breath. If he's wheezing through Going Down it would sound terrible. I say when they're well into the tour they should play it when Axl's in top form, maybe as an encore, but who knows! Love the song.

This song is quite cool, wish the vocal was little higher in the mix!

I bet this would sound great live, Axl could easily pull it off. Next live show will have an IRS 2006 "downloading motherfuckers" moment i'm sure!

If someone could point me in the right driection of BITW that would be much appreciated!

Listening to it is making me depressed. like this is all we're going to get because I can't see them releasing an album, not only that but Axl's vocals are continuously getting weaker with every tour. If/When they ever did release an album his voice would be that sterile on the record from all the layers/tuning that him singing those songs live would be awful.

Fuck, idk. I've been drinking and this song is making me sad. Time to go hunt down one of the two betters.

During the verses I hear KOHD with a haunting REM vibe. When the electric guitar kicks in at 1:12, its clear to me one of the best rock riffs I've heard in a long time. It's so heavy and yet so soulful, two words we havent been together in decades it seems. (I think we all know its not DJ Ashba. Hope I'm right haha. Might be Fortus) The solo is mysteriously awesome: is it possible Axl gave industrial music a soul? This is a goal established on Chi Dem but was been unrealized on Chi Dem. I think he might've succeeded here. The fact the solo ends on those particular notes, soaring into the chorus, is something reminding me of the best parts of 80s rock, when the music (sometimes) soared. (The acoustic part in the “You got nothing left to say” also does that.) In the 90s, however, the solos fell, into a usually depressing chorus. In the 00s its just “what's a solo?”, & “what's a good chorus?” Its becoming in the 10s, “What is music?” This track brings into memory so many reference points by which I can attempt to respond to that question. In the meantime, it sounds great and gives me hope.

Edited by Eu4ic
  • Like 1

Reading some of the opinions, I feel like I was listening to a completely different song...

Yeah, tell me about it. Like you previously said, it isn't awful but IMO, it needs to be cleaned up to even reach the average level of a CD song or to have even made it on UYI, UYI II or LIES. It doesn't come close to anything on Appetite.