Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

With songs like this i see a decent future for new gnr, they need to put somo old rock/blues oriented songs, and epics,and fast rock songs + Axl singing with rasp they have at least a decent álbum.

In chinese demcracy there are many things that didnt work,specially the industral parts.

If they put out Down by the Ocean and Goin Down with The Seeker, Don't Let It Bring You Down as some sort of 4 track digital ep...

By the way i find it strange why Axl recorded Chinese Democracy with all these multiply layers, when he still clearly prefers classic rock - songs like Riff Raff, The Seeker, now Going Down, and probably Down by the Ocean too. I love CD but I have a really hard time trying to understand that.

• Like 1

"Earthy." - Bumblefoot

This song is really great. Moody and low-key, but with a quiet intensity. Really nice transition when the song kicks in alongside some sweet raw-sounding guitar. The very first time I heard it, I thought Axl's backing vocals were maybe a little out of place, but I have come around to love 'em now. Very nice guitar work throughout - sounds like Bumble to me.

Another sad reminder of what could have been. Failing at releasing music does nothing but hurt this band.

Hopefully Tommy will feel "unshackled" to finally play this one live.

anyone got a smaller mp3? I only have a 90MB version!

The original has the vocals isolated on the right side of the mix (see the chat for a link). A forum member remastered it so that the vocals are in the center of the mix on the alt version - for whatever reason that file is really large.

I have to say, bravo Tommy. The song has his signature all over it, but it still retains a GNR identity. It goes to show that Axl doesn't have to have forty million protools and two million arrangements to make a good song.

What's particularly refreshing about Going Down is that unlike a lot of Chinese Democracy (presumably on account of production extremes) it's soulful.

Edited by NGOG

This is cool - someone mentioned Axl's vocals being their least favourite part and I kind of know what you mean. However i'd have liked to have heard this song with just Axl's vocals or just his in the chorus ala 14 years.

I like it and would much rather them take this sort of approach than the Ashba Better mix.

Best GN'R song since the UYI albums.

No it's not epic orchestras and 17 guitars but it has the GN'R spirit with a contemporary touch.

i love it.

:lol:

are you on drugs ? it's not even a gnr song, dude...

it sounds dull and boring

Edited by supercool

This is cool - someone mentioned Axl's vocals being their least favourite part and I kind of know what you mean.

The rasp would be a better style to use in this particular song. If you have a problem with Axl 'clean' then likely you're going to dislike that aspect of the song. I find Axl 'clean' very disgestable when it's good, and in this particular instance it is. If you don't have Axl's presence on the track, then the average person isn't going to identify it as GNR.

It's a moment Axl shared a few times with Duff and Izzy. It's a real pity they didn't get this out when they had the opportunity, you could genuinely see it charting.

Based on the audio for this song, I've got a feeling it was recorded a long long time ago and then someone (bbf) played bits over the top of it, which is why the sound is different for the fast bit.

Edited by Aaron_H
  • Like 1