Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

It's a cool song, but I don't really see it fitting in with any ChiDem material thematically. Makes a good bonus track.

No, but it would fit on a UYI style album. I'm sure there's a couple of songs from CD that, if stripped down, would fit on that kind of album. I think quite a few if they weren't so overproduced would fit on that kind of album.

It's a cool song, but I don't really see it fitting in with any ChiDem material thematically. Makes a good bonus track.

No, but it would fit on a UYI style album. I'm sure there's a couple of songs from CD that, if stripped down, would fit on that kind of album. I think quite a few if they weren't so overproduced would fit on that kind of album.

Catcher is def a song where, at the very least, the first half should be stripped down. Always thought it should build up to a crescendo instead of going up to 11 within 5 secs.

If they put out Down by the Ocean and Goin Down with The Seeker, Don't Let It Bring You Down as some sort of 4 track digital ep...

By the way i find it strange why Axl recorded Chinese Democracy with all these multiply layers, when he still clearly prefers classic rock - songs like Riff Raff, The Seeker, now Going Down, and probably Down by the Ocean too. I love CD but I have a really hard time trying to understand that.

I don' think Axl necessarily prefers the classic sound. He simply likes music, both old and new souding stuff. I don't think the plan was ever to completely forget about the old sound, but to create both old and new sounding stuff. I think this Axl quote tells a lot: It kills me when someone will call KLOS from Builder's Emporium on their lunch break going, "Play Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung.' " It's like, why even request it? They're going to play it anyway. And they're going to play ZZ Top's "Legs." And why does everything have to sound old? The only time I hear fresh sounds is in movies. Like "Drive."

Then there's of course the fact. that GNR fans still mostly prefer old sounding stuff. That must be one reason why they like to play songs like Riff Raff and The Seeker.

I think Axl knows darn well that sometimes less is more. But he also know that sometimes less is less. There's no way an orchestra would have suited a song like Going Down,

Anyway, I like the song. It's better than the worst stuff on Chinese Democracy, for example If The World. It's good to hear that the band can write this kind of old sounding stuff. (not that I ever doubted it) In my opinion it's nowhere near the best old or new GNR songs though. It's way too generic for that. But I'm just very very very very happy to hear a new GNR song.

I agree with magisme, that the solo sounds a little out of place. But maybe they'll fix it in the finished version.

I agree with magisme, that the solo sounds a little out of place. But maybe they'll fix it in the finished version.

Finished version? :rofl-lol:

I'd honestly prefer if they just fixed up the sound, mixed it properly, brought Axl a little higher in the mix and released it tomorrow. I don't think the solo is great either but I'd rather them release it how it is than try to fix it and fuck the song up. Sadly, none of this is gonna happen and maybe we'll see a release in 2023.

Tried to transcribe, but a lot of parts is probably wrong (cause it didn't make any sense :tongue2: )

Please post your corrections, especially to the first two verses...

I know that shames me
???
It never seems to be
The skin's not ???
The stars ???

You used to be so sweet
You walked with a smile
???? and the coffee's cold
???? make it useful

Pre-chorus:
You've got nothing good to say
Keep your mouth shut
Nothing good to do
????
Nothing's ever good enough for you

Chorus:
Sick of the things you say
It's going down
Sorry for everything
Sick of the things you do
It's going down
You look like a fool
You never need to hurt no woman
Who just happened to be there next to you
'Cause you put me down

I know this ??? face
Who heard these words
???? familiar times
Who heard them yell
Even heard them sob

Get into your car and drive
Just as fast as you can
You've had your 15 minutes
You tried to take an hour
Not no one for you to call

Pre-chorus

Chorus X 2

'Cause you're going down
You're going down

'Cause you're going down
You're going down

Nothing's good enough for you

Edited by Spirit

They might as well cut Axl from the mix.. it sounds like a cat is being abused in the background :P

Other than that.. WTF NEW SONG!!!! Lol :D

The song itself is pretty good. The songwriting is good. I like it. The mix could be a lot better, especially in the beginning I can hardly hear what Tommy is singing. Luckily it gets better during the song.

This song would actually sound better without Axl on it. It's a real Tommy song with extra solo's (and a dying cat :P ).