Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

I really enjoy this. Feels like an Izzy song, but I think Tommy's solo stuff also sounds pretty similar to Izzy's solo stuff. It's stuck in my head already. It feels kind of like older guy rock, but in a good way. A mature way, as opposed to guys in their 50s trying to write songs like they are 20s. It sounds like a song by a group of 40+ year olds who have lived a bit. I really like the CD style, and this isn't anything like that, but I also enjoy this. I can see why it wasn't on CD, since it doesn't fit at all. I wonder if there is another album of stuff like this.

Solo is definitely a bit inappropriate, but I like it.

Edited by Stro

Now, I hate to assume...

BUT!! I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who are not enjoying this song aren't old enough to have actually grown up with the original band.

Maybe if they understood a little more about the dynamic that made the songwriting so great, I think they'd dig the song?

No disrespect but I simply don't understand how so many of you like this song so much. Axl's background vocals are far from great, it's a Tommy Stinson song, it sounds like pop crap that we hear on radio nowadays, the solo doesn't fit the song at all, Tommy is not a good singer, the guitar parts are just basic chords, nothing extraordinary and it's get old real fast. I don't get it sorry.

exactly.

but don't try to convince a fanatic, it's like talking to a wall.

they are sheeps ready to worship anything

+1

The funny thing is that they're enjoying a Stinson song, the guy who admited that he hates Guns N'Roses. :lol:

As you've said, they're ready to worship anything.

I'm reading some comments... Best since UYI? It's not like we have 10 albums between... I think people are excited because it's a new song, but the song itself has nothing special. The song only contain backing vocals from Axl.... I didn't know there were so much Stinson fans here... And here we go again with the "that song would be a hit". We heard that plenty of time when we had the 2007 leaks, and look what happened. That song is not a hit material.

This.

People are acting like it is the next welcome to the Jungle. Better is 10 times the song Going Down is. I'm grateful to whomever leaked it and appreciate it to no end but the song is merely average to me.

I'm with you guys. This song is at best a decent Izzy style b-side with a shitty guitar solo.

People are acting like it is the next welcome to the Jungle. Better is 10 times the song Going Down is. I'm grateful to whomever leaked it and appreciate it to no end but the song is merely average to me.

No they're not. People are simply refreshed by GNR taking a more simple approach to songwriting and it working.

Clearly this isn't considered a big gun (or it wouldn't be appearing on live set lists) so why is anybody expecting anything other than a fun rocker? Which it totally achieves.

People are simply refreshed by GNR taking a more simple approach to songwriting and it working.

:lol:

no disrespect but that song hasn't been written by gnr and it doesn't sound like gnr.

You can say the same about the majority of the the Illusions...

People are simply refreshed by GNR taking a more simple approach to songwriting and it working.

no disrespect but that song hasn't been written by gnr and it doesn't sound like gnr.

So does 14 Years sound like a GN'R song? Cause this ain't that much of a departure from that...

:lol: :lol:

the illusions were mainly written by slash, izzy, axl and duff (a.k.a. guns n' roses)

going down was written by tommy stinson :lol:

Edited by durruti column

There hasn't been a definitive GNR sound since Appetite. It always gripes me when people use that silly phrase. Fortunately GNR aren't some one dimensional cock rock act that rehash the same boring formula.

• Like 2

the illusions were mainly written by slash, izzy, axl and duff.

Sorry, I was talking about the sound - which is very different compared to AFD.

So does 14 Years sound like a GN'R song? Cause this ain't that much of a departure from that...

Please don't compare this song to 14 Years. I will say this though. This song would be at least ten times better with Izzy and Slash on it.

the illusions were mainly written by slash, izzy, axl and duff (a.k.a. guns n' roses)

We don't know that. Is it probably written by Tommy? Yes. But it's like people want the band to be more involved in songwriting, and when we get a Tommy-penned song, people are bitching about it? Gimme a break.

Please don't compare this song to 14 Years. I will say this though. This song would be at least ten times better with Izzy and Slash on it.

Not comparing quality. But stylistically, it's not that far off.

• Like 1

There hasn't been a definitive GNR sound since Appetite. It always gripes me when people use that silly phrase. Fortunately GNR aren't some one dimensional cock rock act that rehash the same boring formula.
lmao

so if nugnr comes up with a polka album, you will defend it, because "GNR aren't some one dimensional cock rock act that rehash the same boring formula"... :lol: