Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Did a search and couldn't find a thread dedicated to vinyl LPs in general. Does anyone collect and/or use them? About 70% of the music I listen to is on vinyl these days.

yes, i started buying vinyls again about 4 years ago, most modern vinyls either include the album on CD or a link to download the album for free so it is actually a pretty good medium to buy these days

Yep. I love that 90% of the time I get the album in some digital form as well as the LP. These days, if an album I'm interested in is on vinyl, which is pretty much every release now, I buy the LP. I usually use the MP3 code or CD for the car and keep all the LPs in the basement with my stereo set up.

My wife and I have a weekly "Music Meeting" of sorts. It's usually Friday or Saturday night and we invite anywhere from 5 to 20 people over. I've got stuff from all genres and all decades so we end up listening to TONS of different stuff which is really cool.

To give you an idea, last week we went from Harry Connick Jr (the We Are In Love LP) to Ugly Kid Joe (the Cats In The Cradle 45) in one move! haha.

• Like 1

Ya I love my vinyl. Mp3 and vinyl are all I care about anymore. CD's are dead to me. My last vinyl purchase was Celebration Day on Vinyl, cd, and dvd. The only reason I even got the cd was because I had to buy it in order to get the dvd.

I really need to get uyi 1 and 2 and gnr lies on vinyl to complete my gnr vinyl collection. I got the 180 gram appetite and cd, both of which sound fucking awesome. Honestly you haven't heard cd untill you hear it on vinyl, it fucking comes alive. Sounds a lot more "classic rockish".

Edited by Mike420

My most recent purchase is Pokey LaFarge. Pretty cool record but not really my style of music. It is getting my hyped up for Boardwalk Empire though lol

I swear I've seen this topic before ;)

Somewhat related: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/195801-question-about-vinyl/

Whoops! Sorry I missed that you'd started that. I did a search and must have missed it. I'll merge the two so we can keep discussing. It seems a lot of us like vinyl :)

edit:

Seems I can't merge threads in this section, my bad haha.

As for GN'R, I've got everything from Live Like A Suicide through Live Era on vinyl which includes a sealed AFD with the original cover, the 180 reissue of AFD and the 180 versions of both Illusions. I'll post some pics of my collection a bit later.

Edited by russtcb

My Chinese Democracy LP skips. It did it brand new out of the package. I bought it for $1.99 a few years ago when Best Buy put it on sell.

I got the Queen + Paul Rodgers The Cosmos Rocks boxset with the CD/DVD and 180 gram vinyl of TCR and Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, and A Day at the Races.

I've also got three Smashing Pumpkins LPs and Appetite. I might have a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by luciusfunk

Love Vinyl! I have some real gems, most of which I got from my dad. A nice example is the German edition of the Beatles' classic album Help!. But since it's the German edition the title on the cover is "Hi-Hi-Hilfe!". Cool stuff. I got original releases of The Band's The Last Waltz and the Woodstock LP. Some Stones, some more Beatles, some lovely Queen stuff (most notable a perfect condition Live Killers). Neil Young's classic albums Comes A Time and Harvest. Some Dylan stuff. In total I think I have about 100 LP's and maybe 20 or 30 singles. Including an original Another Brick In The Wall. :) I'm sort of trying to get my father in law to give me his Floyd vinyl's. Most are from the 70's and in good condition. -_- Ironically, I don't have a record player anymore. :lol: The last one broke and I haven't had time to find a new one yet.

Edited by username

Love Vinyl! I have some real gems, most of which I got from my dad. A nice example is the German edition of the Beatles' classic album Help!. But since it's the German edition the title on the cover is "Hi-Hi-Hilfe!". Cool stuff. I got original releases of The Band's The Last Waltz and the Woodstock LP. Some Stones, some more Beatles, some lovely Queen stuff (most notable a perfect condition Live Killers). Neil Young's classic albums Comes A Time and Harvest. Some Dylan stuff. In total I think I have about 100 LP's and maybe 20 or 30 singles. Including an original Another Brick In The Wall. :) I'm sort of trying to get my father in law to give me his Floyd vinyl's. Most are from the 70's and in good condition. -_- Ironically, I don't have a record player anymore. :lol: The last one broke and I haven't had time to find a new one yet.

Very nice. You gotta get yourself a new turntable man. Every single Floyd album sounds ridiculous on vinyl.

Very nice. You gotta get yourself a new turntable man. Every single Floyd album sounds ridiculous on vinyl.

I know! There's just some magic to the perfect imperfection of vinyl sound. It really comes out on the Live Killers album as well. I've played my father in law's Atom Heart Mother and Meddle on vinyl. Pure magic! ^_^

Edited by username

Do you guys buy vinyl to actually to play or as a salute to the artist?

I tend to be quite the pirate when it come to music and just avoid the costs unless I really dig the record and want to salute the artist. Would vinyl be a good way to do that?

:rofl-lol:

I do like the novelty of vinyl. There's something to be said for the romance of the physical object -- it's a substantial body, and it feels linked to history more than a CD does to me. I don't know. It's whatever you're into. But I love vinyl. If I had to guess, I'd say you'd be into it too, NGOG.

Edited by magisme

I've been contemplating it for a while, then looking at my brood of CDs and feeling like a mother duckling. But I think you've just convinced me to jump in.

Edited by NGOG

I feel that music does sound better on vinyl. It just sounds like the band is jumping out of the record. So yes I buy records to listen to and enjoy. I don't really care what they are worth, I like them. I understand the whole "collecting for value" side. I just feel like I'm robbing myself of pleasure, especially unopened ones. Just not for me, I like musictoo much.

Do you guys buy vinyl to actually to play or as a salute to the artist?

I tend to be quite the pirate when it come to music and just avoid the costs unless I really dig the record and want to salute the artist. Would vinyl be a good way to do that?

Supporting the artist comes into play sometimes for me, but a lot of times I'll buy used copies of older releases where I don't care if they get more money or not.

I buy all my music to listen to as well. I do have some super rare pressings and what not, but that's because I love that artist or album. I've bought some rare, sealed records and opened them immediately when they arrived.