Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

2 hours ago, andrew032302 said:

Haven't been active on this forum for a while and I forgot we had this thread. I got super into record collecting over lockdown and it hasn't stopped. I know these might be rookie numbers to some of y'all but who cares.

mH8_X3xWBoWhBOltjYaloEfXRbWJmaAggU098rbT

Any size record collection is the right size :)

You bastards have created a monster.

I've had my favorite 12" single from the aforementioned band Belle & Sebastian since college, but it's been in a closet in my parents' house for the last 20 years.

Now as you might surmise, transported records back and forth from Japan to the States is no picnic and super expensive.   So I've just resigned myself to have my "Japan Collection" here with me, and my "American Collection" on the rare occasions I get to go home.

But I got to obsessing about that record....and it's not super expensive, so I did what can only lead down a dangerous slippery slope.   I bought a Japan copy to have here!

GUYS!    Don't let me do this again....it's a bad, bad idea that can't possibly end well!!

In case you're curious, it's my favorite B&S tune....."This is Just a Modern Rock Song."

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Hell yeah! 

You guys have it all sussed out, I’m really looking forward to seeing you all dive into the obscure/rare items you have and talk about it at great length. If you have any KISS albums that are of significance, that may be your opportunity to get your bearded guitar playing friend on the podcast finally! 

One minor, easily fixed issue though is when mixing the audio for videos. The audio itself is spot on when you’re speaking, it’s more the overdubbed music that seems to be much more dominant and really loud even at a low volume. Everything else is 10/10 and I’m really looking forward to more content!!!

1 hour ago, Dean said:

You guys have it all sussed out, I’m really looking forward to seeing you all dive into the obscure/rare items you have and talk about it at great length. If you have any KISS albums that are of significance, that may be your opportunity to get your bearded guitar playing friend on the podcast finally! 

One minor, easily fixed issue though is when mixing the audio for videos. The audio itself is spot on when you’re speaking, it’s more the overdubbed music that seems to be much more dominant and really loud even at a low volume. Everything else is 10/10 and I’m really looking forward to more content!!!

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the music. It sounded perfectly mixed on several devices prior to upload. Then as soon as it was uploaded, the music sounded too loud. No clue what the deal is, but I'll try to get it under control in the future. 

I just talked to my bearded guitar playing friend this morning actually lol. He's in good spirits and we'll get together to create some content sooner or later :)

As far as KISS goes, I do have a couple records but nothing super rare really. I could definitely do a video on eveeything I do have though. 

We've got another video ready to go that's a run down on my audio equipment, so that'll be next. I'm going to film a bunch more videos about rare pressings etc this Sunday tho, so we'll have a lot more coming! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the music. It sounded perfectly mixed on several devices prior to upload. Then as soon as it was uploaded, the music sounded too loud. No clue what the deal is, but I'll try to get it under control in the future. 

I just talked to my bearded guitar playing friend this morning actually lol. He's in good spirits and we'll get together to create some content sooner or later :)

As far as KISS goes, I do have a couple records but nothing super rare really. I could definitely do a video on eveeything I do have though. 

We've got another video ready to go that's a run down on my audio equipment, so that'll be next. I'm going to film a bunch more videos about rare pressings etc this Sunday tho, so we'll have a lot more coming! 

It’s probably just something on YouTube’s end, which makes sense as a few other podcasts I watch had similar issues when they started uploading content on YouTube too.

I’m looking forward to it, great work and I will forever be jealous of that set up you have, cool as fuck and really really well thought out!!! Always great to hear Bumble doing well and I loved the Barefoot follow ups over lockdown. 

• GNFNR 1

On 11/18/2020 at 4:29 PM, RussTCB said:

Any size record collection is the right size :)

That's the spirit lmao.

Singed up for RSD Black Friday today and apparently I'm one of the first 5 in line. Hoping to grab Kids See Ghosts, MCR, and maybe the Chris Cornell 7". Still salty that Meteora is off the list now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andrew032302 said:

That's the spirit lmao.

Singed up for RSD Black Friday today and apparently I'm one of the first 5 in line. Hoping to grab Kids See Ghosts, MCR, and maybe the Chris Cornell 7". Still salty that Meteora is off the list now. 

My collection video is up and I shared it a couple times in the thread. Any likes, subscriptions, views....are appreciated :)

In any case, if you watch the video you'll see that I have a huge collection BUT that doesn't mean anything about anyone else's collection. I actialy plan to cover a lot of the vinyl community snobbery in future videos. There's just no reason for it. 

What's peoples opinions on hype stickers and shrink wrap? I've been carefully slitting open the vinyl along the edge maintaining the shrink and hype stickers, but if course it means on gatefold you can't appreciate the inside artwork as much. I'm tempted just to rip the stuff off, but then you lose the hype "Limited Edition" etc stickers.

5 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

What's peoples opinions on hype stickers and shrink wrap? I've been carefully slitting open the vinyl along the edge maintaining the shrink and hype stickers, but if course it means on gatefold you can't appreciate the inside artwork as much. I'm tempted just to rip the stuff off, but then you lose the hype "Limited Edition" etc stickers.

I'm a big fan of hype stickers so I save them when possible. If it's a single LP, I'll just cut the shrink wrap open like you do. If its a gatefold, I do everything in my power to get the hype sticker off the cellophane so i can stick it to the outer sleeve I put the record in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

If they are cool, I keep them. If it’s something that just easy “180g vinyl” or so,etching stupid like that, I trash them. Like Russ, I will try to peel them off and put them on the sleeves I use.

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 2

What's everyone's thoughts on originals vs reissues? If you discover a record that has some how passed you by or were unfamiliar with, would you always look toward picking an original pressing no matter the price, or go with a reissue or even both?!

I've been adding to my AC/DC records and picked up 2003 reissues of Dirty Deeds, Powerage and Highway to Hell, with the latter being quite pricey for an original pressing. I'm not normally too bothered, but usually I'd go for an original pressing but I like the cover to be in just as good condition as the record itself and sometimes, unless you're actually in a shop where you can see the record in your own hands, you can get caught out with that. I've heard mixed reviews from some reissues over the years, but I suppose it's largely down to the company that presses them and what masters they use. What's the general consensus among you guys?

31 minutes ago, Dean said:

What's everyone's thoughts on originals vs reissues? If you discover a record that has some how passed you by or were unfamiliar with, would you always look toward picking an original pressing no matter the price, or go with a reissue or even both?!

I've been adding to my AC/DC records and picked up 2003 reissues of Dirty Deeds, Powerage and Highway to Hell, with the latter being quite pricey for an original pressing. I'm not normally too bothered, but usually I'd go for an original pressing but I like the cover to be in just as good condition as the record itself and sometimes, unless you're actually in a shop where you can see the record in your own hands, you can get caught out with that. I've heard mixed reviews from some reissues over the years, but I suppose it's largely down to the company that presses them and what masters they use. What's the general consensus among you guys?

Depends...

If it is a band I absolutely love and collect, like as a hobby...I'll probably get an original or both

If it is a band that I recently discovered that I think is pretty cool and want their music but am not some huge fan or anything, reissues are just fine.

Funny thing is too, in terms of collecting...with some of the reissues these days coming in so many limited variants, sometimes a reissue will be more valuable than an original.

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dean said:

9 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Depends...

If it is a band I absolutely love and collect, like as a hobby...I'll probably get an original or both

If it is a band that I recently discovered that I think is pretty cool and want their music but am not some huge fan or anything, reissues are just fine.

Funny thing is too, in terms of collecting...with some of the reissues these days coming in so many limited variants, sometimes a reissue will be more valuable than an original.

For me, original vs reissue comes down to two things: first, I do my research. Sure, there are a ton of examples where originals sound way better than reissues BUT there are a lot of reissues that truly sound a ton better than any original. 

So I always start by researching sources I trust: YouTube channels I like, asking others on here, other vinyl forums, etc. One thing I watch for is WHY people say one or the other sound better. I've seen people say "the original has way more bass" or something like that and I'll think "OK, well maybe I'll grab the repress since I want more balanced sound". 

The other big factor for me is money. If a repress costs $20 and the original costs $300+,there's little in my mind to justify the price difference. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

I moved a few months back so had to start over on where everything goes.

this is my record wall now and my player / speakers are in the twin peaks themed room you can see in the background.

EnxqQKuVQAEtnF2?format=jpg&name=large

Very nice man, looks great. Been looking into investing in one of The Beatles boxsets, I may sell the mono and stereo boxsets on CD to raise funds for it, they've never been played, though dunno if they've even held value since I bought them in 2009. How phenomenal is the packaging of the Queen box though? Great piece.

• Like 1