Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I've thanked the man profusely in private, but I once again need to make a public THANK YOU to our main man Dean for hooking me up with a very rare and hard to get record that was only available in the UK on RSD.  He did it on a few hours' notice too....unbelievable!  

The record arrived here in Japan a few hours ago in perfect condition (Belle & Sebastian...so what, I happen to love faggy music sometimes, gimme a break!) so this is just a major shout out to Dean!  Domo arigato, brother!!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

I've thanked the man profusely in private, but I once again need to make a public THANK YOU to our main man Dean for hooking me up with a very rare and hard to get record that was only available in the UK on RSD.  He did it on a few hours' notice too....unbelievable!  

The record arrived here in Japan a few hours ago in perfect condition (Belle & Sebastian...so what, I happen to love faggy music sometimes, gimme a break!) so this is just a major shout out to Dean!  Domo arigato, brother!!

Haha, you're some man. It was honestly no bother at all - you saved me about £300 on Live Era going by the prices I'm seeing nowadays, so how could I fucking say no?! :lol:

He sent me that really fucking cool House of Blues 01.01.01 bootleg CD in return from 2018, released only in Japan - SBD audio. Smartest artwork I've ever seen on any bootleg along with it being one of my favourite ever GN'R shows, so that'll be getting popped next to my Chinese red hand!

I picked up Razorlight's Olympus Sleeping and Terence Trent D'Arby's Introducing the Hardline... - great album that, but he fucked it from the get go by saying it was better than anything The Beatles did :lol:

The Razorlight effort was solid, but was with a completely new lineup. The song Carry Yourself, I was expecting that to be plastered everywhere here in the UK, but it wasn't to be. Johnny has since disbanded that lineup and is back with their most popular lineup and back in the studio recording new material. They recently streamed a concert for PPV - they never done anything from this record so I wouldn't be surprised to see this become quite obscure to get.

10 hours ago, Dean said:

I picked up Razorlight's Olympus Sleeping and Terence Trent D'Arby's Introducing the Hardline... - great album that, but he fucked it from the get go by saying it was better than anything The Beatles did :lol:

The Razorlight effort was solid, but was with a completely new lineup. The song Carry Yourself, I was expecting that to be plastered everywhere here in the UK, but it wasn't to be. Johnny has since disbanded that lineup and is back with their most popular lineup and back in the studio recording new material. They recently streamed a concert for PPV - they never done anything from this record so I wouldn't be surprised to see this become quite obscure to get.

Introducing The Hartline is so, so good. I thought he said that about his second album? Either way, he shouldn't have said it about any of his albums lol. That first one is excellent though. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Introducing The Hartline is so, so good. I thought he said that about his second album? Either way, he shouldn't have said it about any of his albums lol. That first one is excellent though. 

You’re probably right, I knew it was him that came away with it anyway!! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Got this off of eBay for about 20 bucks. I don't know how many would remember or have even heard of this show. The Electric Company was a educational show that taught kids how to read through live action and animated skits, music, and were pioneering in early chroma keying, etc. Well worth checking out. This LP is a collection of the songs from their 71-72 years (first season) It gets funky, psychedelic, jazzy, and sometimes like old timey burlesque numbers. The album sleeve and record are in great condition. It also included a full 24 page booklet. This has definitely been babied.

(BTW I wasn't trying to cook it LOL,  just best space for lighting purposes)

arBoMSi.png

[img]https://i.imgur.com/j46rtQR.png[/img]j46rtQR.png

(the booklet)
OvMtXNW.png

r65tzhH.png

sample: not from my copy

• Like 2

Can't remember if I mentioned it in the thread, but I am so excited they finally pressed KMFDM - Angst on vinyl. 

It's one of those albums that just defines the 90s for me. That CD was in everyone I knews car back in 93.

It's one of those albums I've always wanted on vinyl and figured it just wasn't going to happen. Lo and behold, they released it on a 2 LP, 45rpm set in April. 

They only made 1000, but I managed to get one. It shipped today and I can't wait for it to arrive next week! 

• Like 1

Thrift store purchase. I had a Brazilian friend if mine translate, at least, the title of it.
"Perispanic And Mestizo Music". Some of it is very indigenous. I tried to get some audio of it through my camera but it sounded like shit. No bass at all but I think that was the point.

lzC32Rz.jpg

rDxajrA.jpg

• Like 3

Think I mentioned a few weeks back but I picked up Quiet Kenny at Record Store Day, a lovely little jazz record by kenny Dorham. Well since RSD its exploded in price and now going for c. USD100. Crazy. I played the thing tonight for the second time, and side B is scratched. No clue how. It's poly lined, and I handled it so carefully when I played it the first time, but there's various minor scuff marks which are creating sporadic pops, and as it is a dynamic jazz record with quiet bass solos etc it is really noticeable. I'm so frustrated, both about the fact it is scratched, and that i don't know how. Doubt there's much I can do either.

All I know is that this is from Russia. Translate is of zero help. The music on this sounds like sideways versions of shit you'd hear on Benny Hill.

uo5Qnv3.png

2eTQcVf.png

kCdYR6Q.png

BTW anybody here in to reel to reel? I have this sweet TEAC A4010 SL machine. It was made in 1965 and I'm on a mad hunt for reels more than vinyl. This thing is a fucking workhorse.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

It's Holy Grail / Wish List day for me. My copy of KMFDM - Angst is out for delivery. I cannot wait to spin it tonight. 

On the topic of Holy Grails, this arrived earlier!

9C170626-ED5E-44D3-A607-866408FBCBEF.jpeg.857401db57d1360a8e3f138999cfcede.jpeg

I have a sealed copy of the reissue (I’ve just never bothered to open it as I play Lies frequently) and never thought I’d bother with the original, but over the past few months I’ve debated pulling the trigger on it and then it popped up for auction on eBay and I snagged it - the guy was only 20 odd miles away and hand delivered it! What a champion.

The storage issue I’ve had for some time is nearly resolved - I have a unit bought, so will get that built with a few cans tonight I think!!

Another thing, I’ve been on a bit of a Razorlight binge of late and bought the solo album of the now ex guitarist of the band via bandcamp, but the edging at the top of it has come away due to the way it was shipped. It was only £15, and part of me thinks it was like that for a batch of them hence why it’s so low in price, the other part of me wants to complain, but then it’d mean he’d probably be out of pocket with replacing it and I can’t see his limited run of 500 selling in all honesty. I may just cut my losses for the sake of £15 - it’s signed and is pressed on purple vinyl (it looks class)

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 12:36 AM, Jabberwocky said:

All I know is that this is from Russia. Translate is of zero help. The music on this sounds like sideways versions of shit you'd hear on Benny Hill.

uo5Qnv3.png

2eTQcVf.png

kCdYR6Q.png

BTW anybody here in to reel to reel? I have this sweet TEAC A4010 SL machine. It was made in 1965 and I'm on a mad hunt for reels more than vinyl. This thing is a fucking workhorse.

I watched the video of it that you put up, it looks fucking sweet. What Reels have you picked up so far?

On 7/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, Dean said:

I watched the video of it that you put up, it looks fucking sweet. What Reels have you picked up so far?

The only reels I have are the ones my friend gave me with the machine. I have 8 total and all of them are some variant of jazz. All dubs right now, nothing pre-recorded. This is going to be the first purchase. eBay for, I think, 45 dollars. But man oh man do the prices skyrocket like a mofo
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1

While not strictly related, I’m throwing this in here. @estrangedtwatsent me that cool as fuck HOB bootleg so I wanted to throw that in a frame along side the rest of them. They are not perfectly aligned, but it’s a room I jam in so it’s not something I lose any sleep over 😂 big thanks to @GNRfanMILOfor helping me find most of them, particularly the Red Hand.

35799F5F-CF31-4D46-A92E-6491953D0436.jpeg.7f9e27fa08b2c46e93d4fbdd6c63ecc2.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

While not strictly related, I’m throwing this in here. @estrangedtwatsent me that cool as fuck HOB bootleg so I wanted to throw that in a frame along side the rest of them. They are not perfectly aligned, but it’s a room I jam in so it’s not something I lose any sleep over 😂 big thanks to @GNRfanMILOfor helping me find most of them, particularly the Red Hand.

35799F5F-CF31-4D46-A92E-6491953D0436.jpeg.7f9e27fa08b2c46e93d4fbdd6c63ecc2.jpeg

WOW that is one rad ass display. Kick ass man.

• GNFNR 1

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

WOW that is one rad ass display. Kick ass man.

Thanks man! It's been a relief getting shit sorted this weekend - so I obviously treated myself to that pressing of Pet Sounds you mentioned on the channel, ha!

• Like 1