Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

One of my local record stores re-opened yesterday and I was thrilled to go in. Not only was it awesome to be able to crate dig again after a few months, but it's nice to support the stores when you know they haven't done very well recently.

Picked up records by Dylan, Dead Man's Bones, Cage the Elephant and Johnny Cash.

Hey guys....I've already come to this thread a few times to ask Russ to help me grab the Slint record on record store day....now I've returned to ask for favors again.

Anyone in the UK?

Apparently their version of RSD is called Love Records Stores or something, and it's on June 20th.

I'm a huge fan of Belle & Sebastian.   It's probably weird that my two all time favorite bands are GNR and B&S but that's how it worked out.

Apparently, they're doing a pressing of Tigermilk on baby blue vinyl, but it's limited to 700(!) and only sold at this UK event.

That's my favorite record by them, and god, I love colored or translucent vinyl.

I know it's a loooong shot, but if anyone is reading this in the UK and can help out, I'd appreciate it!!

In the meantime, I AM in Japan and we sometimes have some good/rare stuff here, but the downside to collecting in Japan is that stuff is really expensive.  (Also, for the foreseeable future, the Japan Post Office has suspended outgoing international packages.  But hopefully that will be lifted soon.)

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Hey guys....I've already come to this thread a few times to ask Russ to help me grab the Slint record on record store day....now I've returned to ask for favors again.

Anyone in the UK?

Apparently their version of RSD is called Love Records Stores or something, and it's on June 20th.

I'm a huge fan of Belle & Sebastian.   It's probably weird that my two all time favorite bands are GNR and B&S but that's how it worked out.

Apparently, they're doing a pressing of Tigermilk on baby blue vinyl, but it's limited to 700(!) and only sold at this UK event.

That's my favorite record by them, and god, I love colored or translucent vinyl.

I know it's a loooong shot, but if anyone is reading this in the UK and can help out, I'd appreciate it!!

In the meantime, I AM in Japan and we sometimes have some good/rare stuff here, but the downside to collecting in Japan is that stuff is really expensive.  (Also, for the foreseeable future, the Japan Post Office has suspended outgoing international packages.  But hopefully that will be lifted soon.)

Thanks guys!

Hey man,

I'll help out if possible. I'm not far from Glasgow, but will check with my local record store to see if they're taking this in, if not, I'll arrange to get through there for the 20th. 

7 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

One of my local record stores re-opened yesterday and I was thrilled to go in. Not only was it awesome to be able to crate dig again after a few months, but it's nice to support the stores when you know they haven't done very well recently.

Picked up records by Dylan, Dead Man's Bones, Cage the Elephant and Johnny Cash.

I'm hitting up my local store tomorrow and I cannot wait. The owner is hitting me up the moment he gets the 4 Prince releases for this week so I can come grab them. 

Also, I finally got a record I've wanted for a long time. I was poking around on Discogs and found the second Page / Plant album (Walking Into Clarksdale) for less than I've seen it previously, so I grabbed it. It won't be here til Saturday or so, but I'm really excited to finally have it. 

• Like 1

Hearing a very strong rumor that a Super Deluxe Edition of Prince - Sign O The Times will be announced around June 7th, for release on September 20th. 

It's a 13 LP + 1 DVD set. Time to start saving. This is a Day 1 purchase for me. 

• Like 1

Latest additions are Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 and the End of Days soundtrack!

Still been debating whether or not to pull the trigger on Live Era, will wait and see what the next few weeks are like. I've also been looking at Live Like a Suicide, but I don't mind getting a reissue as I'm still keeping a lookout for a Locked N' Loaded boxset at a sensible price. 

• Like 1

Been on a Dream Theater kick so naturally I have picked up a few of their albums, since COVID really hit the pacific northwest I've acquired:

• Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory - Dream Theater
  • A Change Of Seasons - Dream Theater
  • Octavarium - Dream Theater
  • Distance Over Time - Dream Theater
  • Golgotha - W.A.S.P.
  • Live At Royal Albert Hall - Alter Bridge
  • Score - Dream Theater
  • Year Of The Tiger - Myles Kennedy
  • W.A.S.P. - W.A.S.P.
  • A Dramatic Turn Of Events - Dream Theater [Hasn't been shipped yet]

Plus a ton fo CDs, these put my record collection at 203 records cataloged with a ton yet to be listened to and cataloged since I have had a few relatives give me records in the past couple years.

• 1 month later...

Mobile Fidelity finally issued their version of Drops Of Jupiter by Train, so I ordered it. Other than that, I still have a European pressing of Chinese Democracy on the way. 

I think my next purchases will be on the RSD dates coming up. 

Sweet! Only now did I find out about this thread. So, here are my latest additions:

CApXDWC.jpg

Plus, I finally pulled the trigger on AFD Super Deluxe and got it in the mail today.

I'm also waiting for John Denver - Poems, Prayers & Promises.

48 minutes ago, baldek said:

Sweet! Only now did I find out about this thread. So, here are my latest additions:

CApXDWC.jpg

Plus, I finally pulled the trigger on AFD Super Deluxe and got it in the mail today.

I'm also waiting for John Denver - Poems, Prayers & Promises.

I keep wanting to get that Teskey Brothers album. One of the co hosts on my podcast was praising it recently, so I need to order it. 

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I keep wanting to get that Teskey Brothers album. One of the co hosts on my podcast was praising it recently, so I need to order it. 

It's really refreshing knowing there are new bands out there still capable of embodying that old blues sentiment and somehow mix it with modern day elements and production, resulting in one badass combination. Do get it when you can :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 2:31 AM, RussTCB said:

Hearing a very strong rumor that a Super Deluxe Edition of Prince - Sign O The Times will be announced around June 7th, for release on September 20th. 

It's a 13 LP + 1 DVD set. Time to start saving. This is a Day 1 purchase for me. 

You get a pre-order in or anything?   It's about $400 in Japan!!

13 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

You get a pre-order in or anything?   It's about $400 in Japan!!

I'm gonna pick it up from my local shop once it's released. The owner always give me a decent discount on stuff that large, so that'll take a bit off the price. 

Hi Folks... for a relative vinyl newbie, what am I looking for in an amp? Prices seem to range from £100 to £5000 and I can't work out what's good / bad / what the difference is / what to go for. My 20yr old vinyl collection was collated when I was young, played using a all-in-one cheap tower, but now looking to rebuild and re-engage in  vinyl. Happy to spend money, but some of the costs just seem farcical. What's a good intro amp?

If you also do need a record player, I recommend the Pro Ject Jukebox E. 

Its a decent player including a very good pre amp. Its an plug and play system and the cost/value is top notch.

You don’t need an additional amp. All you need is speakers. 

Edited by zigzagbigbag
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 7:24 PM, Dean said:

Hey man,

I'll help out if possible. I'm not far from Glasgow, but will check with my local record store to see if they're taking this in, if not, I'll arrange to get through there for the 20th. 

And now here it is, sitting in my room next to my clear vinyl Hyperspace by Beck and a 12 inch of Legal Man, also by Belle and Sebastian.........Tigermilk by Belle and Sebastian on baby blue vinyl.

HtXTt5n.jpg

My man Dean came through for me....only 700 of these pressed and he got one for me and mailed it to me in Japan...a complete stranger!   What an amazing guy!!   Thanks so much man, I owe you big time!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

I haven't got too much lately..

All i can really think of is a re-press of the THE VVITCH soundtrack and Margo Price's new album.

I picked up the new Margo as well. I dig it. Next things up for me are the Crowes reissue on RSD, then the Prince Sign boxed set.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I picked up the new Margo as well. I dig it. Next things up for me are the Crowes reissue on RSD, then the Prince Sign boxed set.

yeah it's a solid album. A handful of really good songs on there.

I know I have that Stooges boxset coming and then there is a new live stooges album coming out and after that I guess I have to go back through the RSD lists as I kind of lost interest when it got pushed way back. I remember there were a few things i wanted.

9 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

yeah it's a solid album. A handful of really good songs on there.

I know I have that Stooges boxset coming and then there is a new live stooges album coming out and after that I guess I have to go back through the RSD lists as I kind of lost interest when it got pushed way back. I remember there were a few things i wanted.

There's only 3 things I can remember that I wanted:

Black Crowes - Lions (this is an all time grail from my want list) 

Various Artists - Sweet Relief (solid benefit album from the 90s that I liked) 

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind (I have an OP, but the RSD version has extra tracks I want) 

• 2 weeks later...