Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

I need to get more Floyd on vinyl, the only one I have the Darkside 180 gram reissue from a couple of years ago.

I've got Saucerful, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, DSotM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, Final Cut, MLoR and Delicate Sound of Thunder. But I really want to get the rest.

No reliics? Thats one of my favs. But really I'd be happy if I had darkside through the wall.

Hi folks, got a question regarding vinyl & players.

How much damage does playing vinyl do to the record itself?....and is this compounded by the cheaper & crappier the player that is spinning the record? (eg. a top of the line player, won't fuck up the vinyl as much).,,,,or is it down to the needle?

Reason I ask is I have some really old vinyl, some quite rare, that I still listen too. However, I'm conscious that I might be slowly degrading them (and keep meaning to digitally back up the rarer ones).

Cheers

Depends on what kind of player you have, cheap once can damage the record. But if you have a good player that is set up right and you take care of it you chould not worry that much about it.

Right pressure on the counterweight on the tonearm, corect anti skating and a stylus set right on point whit a protractor is all you need to play those records for years whitout damage..

I need to get more Floyd on vinyl, the only one I have the Darkside 180 gram reissue from a couple of years ago.

I've got Saucerful, Obscured By Clouds, Meddle, DSotM, WYWH, Animals, The Wall, Final Cut, MLoR and Delicate Sound of Thunder. But I really want to get the rest.

No reliics? Thats one of my favs. But really I'd be happy if I had darkside through the wall.

I forgot the mention the early hits package that I have. It's a like a variant on Relics. It's called Masters Of Rock or something to that effect. Similar tracks to Relics; Candy And A Current Bun, Careful With That Axl..., Julia Dream, etc.

Does it have biding my time and the nile song? Those are two of my favs.

I'm out of time and can't remember of the top of my head but you're right, those are jams. I will get More when I get a chance because I like the whole album and The Nile Song is on that. I think Relics is the only place to get Biding My Time though and that tune kicks ass too.

Hi folks, got a question regarding vinyl & players.

How much damage does playing vinyl do to the record itself?....and is this compounded by the cheaper & crappier the player that is spinning the record? (eg. a top of the line player, won't fuck up the vinyl as much).,,,,or is it down to the needle?

Reason I ask is I have some really old vinyl, some quite rare, that I still listen too. However, I'm conscious that I might be slowly degrading them (and keep meaning to digitally back up the rarer ones).

Cheers

Depends on what kind of player you have, cheap once can damage the record. But if you have a good player that is set up right and you take care of it you chould not worry that much about it.

Right pressure on the counterweight on the tonearm, corect anti skating and a stylus set right on point whit a protractor is all you need to play those records for years whitout damage..

Thats interesting, thanks.

I'm due an upgrade, so will limit playing some of the older records until my piece of shit old player is replaced :)

So what is the best reasonably priced record cleaner in everyone's opinion? I have read and heard very good things bout this gizmo......

http://www.needledoctor.com/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-Value-Pack?sc=2&category=108

I have a VPI 16.5 vacuum and a Spin Clean. I really don't like the Spin Clean for anything other than 45s to be honest. It's a lot of work for every single record for little results.

Does anyone know if getting Prince's other top albums are hard to find or expensive on vinyl. I've been so in love with Purple Rain lately that I really want to get 1999, around the world, parade, and sign.

All those you mentioned are very easy to find. You'll see OG versions are Parade & Around The World at a lot of record stores. I grabbed the 180g version of 1999 when Best Buy was clearing out vinyl a couple years ago and I've been happy as hell with it. Sign 'O' The Times shows up a lot in record stores as well, but not as often as the others you mentioned.

The hardest Prince LPs for me to get so far were Diamonds & Pearls, O+-> and The Gold Experience.

Finally picked up Pearl Jam-Lightning Bolt today along with the latest LP by Quadron.

Let us know if there are quality issues with Lightning Bolt.

Listened to Side A today while I was working in the basement. Didn't hear any issues at all so I think I'm set!

My AT150MLX was delivered today. I installed it and listened to Locomotive, This I Love and two tracks by Eminem. Right out of the box, it's easily the best sounding stylus I've ever heard.

What are you going to do with your other ones? I'll take one off of your hands if it is in great condition (which I'm sure it is) and the price is right.

My AT150MLX was delivered today. I installed it and listened to Locomotive, This I Love and two tracks by Eminem. Right out of the box, it's easily the best sounding stylus I've ever heard.

What are you going to do with your other ones? I'll take one off of your hands if it is in great condition (which I'm sure it is) and the price is right.

I've got 2 that I'm not using:

AT120E/T-

It's great, but not a micro line stylus so it does nothing for inner groove distortion. Here's the skinny on it:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT120E-Standard-Cartridge/dp/B001255YL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389733617&sr=8-1&keywords=at120e

AT440MLa-

This is everything the 120 is except it's a micro line so it clears up all inner groove issues. It also gives you a little more on the highs and lows. Here's the info on that:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389733832&sr=8-1&keywords=at440mla

Take a look at reviews of both and shoot me a PM. I'll cut you a deal on whichever one you want.

Holy shit, Pink Floyd LPs are expensive. Russ: The Dark side reissue...is it worth the money? It is my favorite Floyd album, but its over thirty dollars.

I realize that may make me sound like a cheapass but I think I could find a used OG LP for much cheaper

It really grinds my gears when single LPs are more than $20.

Holy shit, Pink Floyd LPs are expensive. Russ: The Dark side reissue...is it worth the money? It is my favorite Floyd album, but its over thirty dollars.

I realize that may make me sound like a cheapass but I think I could find a used OG LP for much cheaper

It really grinds my gears when single LPs are more than $20.

Overall I agree but the Floyd remasters are generally done really well. DSotM for example has the posters and post cards that the original came with, etc. I know that doesn't effect the music but it's still a nice touch. The one I find crazy over priced is the latest edition of The Wall. It's damn near $50 and although it sounds fantastic, I just don't understand where they got the pricing from on it.

wfa-

The thing with Floyd LPs is this; the originals still sound FANTASTIC but it's very hard to find them for sale in any sort of good shape. Generally, the people that took good care of their Floyd LPs still treasure them. If you do find them used in great shape, you're generally going to pay around $20+ for DSotM anyway. It only gets worse from there. A copy of something like The Final Cut, Relics or AMLoR can go for even more. Hell... unsealed copies of The Division Bell go for over a $100.

I checked the sticker price for the Floyd LPs and:

DSOTM: 35.99

The Wall: 54.99

Wish You Were Here: 34.99

:no:

Like I said, The Wall is outrageously priced if you ask me. At least with the new editions of DSotM and WYWH, you get all the cool extras they used to come with in the originals. The Wall never had much in the way of extras so, while amazing, the vinyl is crazy over priced. If you ask me, you'll be able to find it marked down at least $10 sooner than later if you keep looking.

Speaking of Floyd, I picked up Relics today as Mike420 pretty much shamed me into it LOL. I also grabbed The Marshall Mathers LP 2 while I was there.