Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Skid Row are finally releasing a box set, hopefully they release the albums individually so I can get Subhuman Beings On Tour at some point.

Skid Row - The Atlantic Years (1989 - 1996) 

• 7x Vinyl LP boxset
  • Standard Black Vinyl
  • All Albums Newly Remastered

RELEASE DATE: 12/3/2021

DESCRIPTION:
This five album, 7LP side loading boxset includes:

• SKID ROW
  • SLAVE TO THE GRIND (2 x LP)
  • B-SIDE OURSELVES
  • SUBHUMAN RACE (2 x LP)
  • SUBHUMAN BEINGS ON TOUR!!

Oh shit. The only things I'm missing from this are Subhuman and Subhuman On Tour but I'm gonna have to buy the whole thing in case they don't release everything separately. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Holy shit! that skid row set...amazing.

I just sold my og copy of subhuman for like 300+ or something last year, so i'm happy that i'll get it back.

I rarely ever sell records but I'm seriously considering bouncing my original pressings of the debut album and Slave To The Grind along with the RSD pressing of Slave. 

I mean....why not? Selling those would easily pay for the whole boxed set and them some. 

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I rarely ever sell records but I'm seriously considering bouncing my original pressings of the debut album and Slave To The Grind along with the RSD pressing of Slave. 

I mean....why not? Selling those would easily pay for the whole boxed set and them some. 

yeah I am considering selling them as well now.

I've gotten to a point recently where like unless it's a band I specifically collect, I don't really need expensive pressings if there are other alternatives. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 1:52 AM, RussTCB said:

I've gone that many times for a mixture of reasons. I went with my mom numerous times before she passed away. I went with several different friends over the years. I also used to travel a ton for work and I'd stop in whenever I was in Memphis. As a matter of fact, I got the shirt in that video during a work trip. 

Having said that, literally as I'm typing this post, a message just came into my phone saying Elvis' drummer Ronnie Tutt passed away :(

That's cool that yourve been many times. Massive Elvis fan, and sad about Ronnie, such a great drummer,the 70s live stuff was amazing 

• Like 1

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that Skid Row boxset, they're a band I've never really given a chance and I've come close to picking up Slave to the Grind over the past few months, so at least this way I'll get everything else along with it from the Baz era.

Last few purchases include Billy Joel's 52nd Street, Neil Sedaka with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Live at the Royal Festival Hall (I figured with how incredible the Glen Campbell record I picked up was at the same venue, this would be a great one too), The Replacements The Complete Inconcerated Live, AC/DC High Voltage (original cover), Daryl Hall & John Oates Abandoned Luncheonette. I think that's everything, so a lot of great music has been played of late!

• Like 1

Ended up selling Slave, S/T and B-Side ourselves this weekend after the announcement of the boxset. Can't wait to pick that up.

Only new thing I got this weekend was another variant of St Vincent's 'Masseduction' when I went to Amoeba.

Every time I go there, I just miss the old location. Everything from the physical location to the size of the store to the hours of business were so much better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Ended up selling Slave, S/T and B-Side ourselves this weekend after the announcement of the boxset. Can't wait to pick that up.

Only new thing I got this weekend was another variant of St Vincent's 'Masseduction' when I went to Amoeba.

Every time I go there, I just miss the old location. Everything from the physical location to the size of the store to the hours of business were so much better.

I might be out in LA in mid November. I was thinking I'd check out the new location but maybe I shouldn't? Is there anywhere else I should hit up instead? 

Just now, RussTCB said:

I might be out in LA in mid November. I was thinking I'd check out the new location but maybe I shouldn't? Is there anywhere else I should hit up instead? 

I mean, it's worth going to. It's still one of the best selections for a record store in the nation, if not the world.

BUT, as someone who used to go there every week, it's not as awesome as it used to be.

In terms of other stores in the area, Freak Beat in Sherman Oaks is awesome. Rockaway Records in Glendale is great but I think you have to make an appointment to shop there now since they re-opened. Rockaway has tons of really collectible and high-end stuff as well as a good selection of regular but well curated used stuff. Aside from those two, everything else is pretty typical hit or miss kind of places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti will be with me soon!

Been on a bit of a Mats binge of late. I've ordered the boxsets for Dead Man's Pop and Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out The Trash - I'd been playing a lot of Tommy's first Bash & Pop record and it really is just a fucking joy to the ears! Tiny Pieces is top tier. 

My original artwork copy of High Voltage arrived in a condition much worse than VG+. I'd have let the shoddy artwork slide if the record itself wasn't plagued with skips. Haven't went for a return before so hopefully the seller will be sound about it - he's relatively new going by his rating (2 negatives out of 20) so it's my own fault for taking the risk.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dean said:

Zeppelin IV and Physical Graffiti will be with me soon!

Been on a bit of a Mats binge of late. I've ordered the boxsets for Dead Man's Pop and Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out The Trash - I'd been playing a lot of Tommy's first Bash & Pop record and it really is just a fucking joy to the ears! Tiny Pieces is top tier. 

My original artwork copy of High Voltage arrived in a condition much worse than VG+. I'd have let the shoddy artwork slide if the record itself wasn't plagued with skips. Haven't went for a return before so hopefully the seller will be sound about it - he's relatively new going by his rating (2 negatives out of 20) so it's my own fault for taking the risk.

That's disappointing. I hope you get that worked out easily. I couldn't care less about condition of cover art, but if the LP itself isn't in the condition described then that's a problem. 

As for me, I'm going to go make a hate purchase today. I'm going to buy the overpriced, 2 LP, 45rpm (for no reason), remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason. 

This is 100% a completionist purchase and I will probably listen to it once at the most. I am part of the problem with these type of releases lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That's disappointing. I hope you get that worked out easily. I couldn't care less about condition of cover art, but if the LP itself isn't in the condition described then that's a problem. 

As for me, I'm going to go make a hate purchase today. I'm going to buy the overpriced, 2 LP, 45rpm (for no reason), remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason. 

This is 100% a completionist purchase and I will probably listen to it once at the most. I am part of the problem with these type of releases lol

Enjoy it when it arrives, good sir! When it comes down to that being the only record missing for the particular band or artist, it's always going to end in one way - paying over the top to add it to the collection!!!

I'm currently sending emails back and forth. He wishes to give me a discount instead, but I'd essentially be paying for a record to sit on a shelf and not play it which is utterly pointless to me, I certainly won't be putting it on the turntable again and I'm more inclined to just pick up a reissue of it. I've been quite polite in my responses, I've made it known I'm not disappointed or anything, it just hasn't worked out and I'd like to proceed with the refund etc etc, hopefully I've done enough to not get negative feedback! I'll contest it if I do anyway. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I bought that for the same reason... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Top 5 Pink Floyd songs is an impossible ask for me. It changes every week. Same as Deep Purple, Led Zep etc. So many great tunes, shortlisting to 5, and then putting those 5 in order!, is an impossible task.

I hear ya. There's very few songs of theirs I don't like or love so this was a hard list to put together. 

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on two 7" single boxsets of Morrissey's that cover the period of '88-'90 and '91-'95. I think there are 10 in each and all in came in at £80 odd, not bad all things considered! My favourite Moz track is Alma Matters which is on Maladjusted - that fetches a pricey sum these days so I may never get to own it on vinyl unless a reissue is released. The man is unfortunately a complete dick, but I enjoy the tunes - trust the music and not the artist as they say!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Pulled the trigger on two 7" single boxsets of Morrissey's that cover the period of '88-'90 and '91-'95. I think there are 10 in each and all in came in at £80 odd, not bad all things considered! My favourite Moz track is Alma Matters which is on Maladjusted - that fetches a pricey sum these days so I may never get to own it on vinyl unless a reissue is released. The man is unfortunately a complete dick, but I enjoy the tunes - trust the music and not the artist as they say!

The Smiths / Morrissey are one of those artists I could just never get into. I have a friend who tries every couple of months at music night though lol. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The Smiths / Morrissey are one of those artists I could just never get into. I have a friend who tries every couple of months at music night though lol. 

They are definitely an acquired taste, though Moz doesn't do himself any favours with the tangents he goes on which no doubt alienates his fan base!

Their first record is absolutely sensational though. Are you familiar with their album version of What Difference Does It Make? I'm at work, but I'll post it later for you to check out if you've not heard it. It's relatively dark and heavier than the poppy version that they had the hit with from the Peele sessions. You may still hate it though, I'm sadly unable to guarantee that it'll get pass marks :lol:

• Haha 1

Just ran to Rock City Music Company for some LPs. 

I got:

Cheap Trick At Budokan (believe it or not, I've never owned or heard this whole album) 

Grand Funk Railroad - Collected (another band I've never owned anything by. A hits package seemed like a good place to start) 

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason Remix / Remaster (this is a completionist purchase and will rarely get played lol) 

• Like 1