Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Fuck yeah! I got one a while back but really need to do some cleanup / fixup on it. Yours is in MUCH better condition then mine is. Congrats! 

I've wanted on so long and this one came up a couple towns over from me. It plays great which was the main thing I was looking for.

• Like 1

Been a white since I posted here and can’t remember what I updated people on.

Recently pre-ordered the new Porcupine Tree album. Ordered two vinyl versions - the standard black version, and a limited edition 45rpm box set with additional tracks.

Also pre-ordered the 2022 reissue of Kaleidoscope by Transatlantic, which will complete my Transatlantic studio albums collection.

Finally have the following on hold in local stores: 

Mr Big from RSD

and Ghosts of Mars Soundtrack also from RSD - pretty stoked about this one due to the Guns / Finck / Bucket link, and it has been delayed time and time again due to the pressing plant backlog so chuffed it finally got sorted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

Hey @RussTCB, have you done a review on the various LPs from the GNR L&L box?

I recently shot a video comparing the original pressing of Lies to the EP that's including in L&L. 

That video should be out in a few weeks. Assuming it does well, I'll do a follow up on the rest of the vinyl from the box. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's a great sounding single. I always wished a few more got released from the album. 

Definitely! The album had a lot of potential at varying points, but regardless of all the flaws surrounding it’s release, I’m just grateful we have it!

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, The Dissident said:

Wondering what everyones experience is with purchasing via discogs and any tips they have using it. I have several items on my vinyl search list which have been evading me for a long while. 

Hit and miss. I’d personally only pick a seller who has a lot of positive reviews. I’ve had a few experiences of delayed deliveries and / or cancelled orders where the seller has not actually had the item they advertised for sale. It’s an excellent website, just pick your sellers carefully and should be fine 👍

• Like 2

I'm working towards significantly downsizing my collection. Started at 760 records according to my Discogs collection, what a hassle. But I'm up about $300 on the first five I've sold in the past week :shrugs: And I've only managed to list about 20 so far, so I guess I'm doing okay. 

• Wow 1

48 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm working towards significantly downsizing my collection. Started at 760 records according to my Discogs collection, what a hassle. But I'm up about $300 on the first five I've sold in the past week :shrugs: And I've only managed to list about 20 so far, so I guess I'm doing okay. 

It adds up quick man. I looked at my eBay sales for the year and was shocked to see I have sold over 11k in records in 2021.

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, The Dissident said:

First attempted purchase on discogs, already being asked to send additional funds because of an error on their part for the postage cost... 

I've never sold anything on Discogs but I will say this in the sellers defense: apparently there have been a lot of changes to Discogs policies over the past few weeks. A lot of sellers seem to be genuinely confused. 

• Like 1

I can tell you as a new seller on Discogs I’m confused about how payments work to an extent. In short, right after I set up my sellers account, they sent out a mass message that everything would be handled through PayPal now. They said that the way they’d set it up, you wouldn’t be sent a monthly invoice for seller fees anymore but they’d be deducted transaction-by-transaction. I’ve noticed the match isn’t adding up though; the amount going into my account is the full amount before seller fees are deducted, and nothing is getting deducted from my PayPal account. So there seems to be some miscommunication there. 

Additionally, if you’re shipping USPS, they raise their prices around the holidays. Since sellers have their own set shipping fees in Discogs, they may not know this until they go to process an order and suddenly the shipping cost may be higher than their set shipping fees without them knowing prior. Any other time of the year I might agree that sounds suspicious but right now I wouldn’t think anything of it. 

Just starting my way through the Skid Row boxset. For the price of it, I'm disappointed that they never made the effort with the poly lined inners, but even outwith that, the quality control, Subhuman 'Beigs' on Tour! I've not properly looked at the individual covers, but I noticed that on the spine from the get go - I'm patiently awaiting another Baz video so he can call them out on it :lol:

Once these Skid Row albums are out the way, I've got Daryl Hall & John Oates at the Troubadour lined up next for my listening pleasure. A lot of stuff to get through following Christmas. I pre-ordered Tears for Fears' new album The Tipping Point - the title track which came out the other month there is a tremendous listen. If you're into them, definitely check that song out. 

I got the last of the four Beatles records I needed to complete their discography, so I just finished getting my way through them all today. What a band. I'd been debating whether or not trying to pick up early mono pressings of all the albums, maybe treating myself to one a month or something to spread it out, but may hold off on that - I have The Beatles Singles Collection which are all in Mono, so that fills the need of experiencing some of their songs as originally recorded, but it's not the same is it?!

I'm awaiting a delivery of these two singles. Absolute jams!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dean said:

Just starting my way through the Skid Row boxset. For the price of it, I'm disappointed that they never made the effort with the poly lined inners, but even outwith that, the quality control, Subhuman 'Beigs' on Tour! I've not properly looked at the individual covers, but I noticed that on the spine from the get go - I'm patiently awaiting another Baz video so he can call them out on it :lol:

Once these Skid Row albums are out the way, I've got Daryl Hall & John Oates at the Troubadour lined up next for my listening pleasure. A lot of stuff to get through following Christmas. I pre-ordered Tears for Fears' new album The Tipping Point - the title track which came out the other month there is a tremendous listen. If you're into them, definitely check that song out. 

I got the last of the four Beatles records I needed to complete their discography, so I just finished getting my way through them all today. What a band. I'd been debating whether or not trying to pick up early mono pressings of all the albums, maybe treating myself to one a month or something to spread it out, but may hold off on that - I have The Beatles Singles Collection which are all in Mono, so that fills the need of experiencing some of their songs as originally recorded, but it's not the same is it?!

I'm awaiting a delivery of these two singles. Absolute jams!

I hadn't even noticed that typo on the Skid Row EP when I'd made my video on it. Stuff like that is disappointing. Although I think poly sleeves should be in every album, I'm getting more and more used to it never happening. My biggest disappointment remains the Ozzy set. It was over double the price of the Skid Row set and still no poly sleeves. 

• Like 1

just found this thread, and if this isn't the right place to post this feel free to move it or let me know, but for christmas I got UYI II on vinyl and im just now using it and holy crap the mix in it is so different than what I had been listening to. Estranged had the piano way up in the mix and axis vocals seemed clearer if that makes sense.

Quite shocked and now may have to go down a rabbit hole

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

just found this thread, and if this isn't the right place to post this feel free to move it or let me know, but for christmas I got UYI II on vinyl and im just now using it and holy crap the mix in it is so different than what I had been listening to. Estranged had the piano way up in the mix and axis vocals seemed clearer if that makes sense.

Quite shocked and now may have to go down a rabbit hole

I've noticed vastly different listening experiences with some albums when I listen on vinyl. It's one of the reasons I love the format. It doesn't always happen, but I've noticed it on many albums. 

• Like 2