Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Happy New Year to all in here, all the very best to you and your families!

What a tremendous few days I've had with firing on a lot of records I was given over Christmas. Daryl Hall & John Oates at the Troubadour is essential listening. It's the first time it's been pressed on vinyl having been released in 2008 I believe, but holy smokes, it is absolutely tremendous. I strongly suggest anyone that even just likes a couple of their tunes, go out and pick it up!! This will continue to get a lot of spins over the coming weeks I think!

My old dear got me a Denon DCD 800NE CD player for Christmas, my set up is looking pretty sweet currently and will hopefully make much needed upgrades in the coming year. I pulled down a lot of my CD's from the loft and have been getting those played too. I was surprised how much some of the things I've picked up over the years have inflated in price. I have an ELO boxset of their albums from 2011 that I paid £20, fetches close to £100 these days. Absurd. I have The Beatles in Mono and Stereo, so have been chipping away at the Mono's every now and then too. 

Music is truly phenomenal, eh?!

All the best, folks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

picked up "At my piano" from Brian Wilson. It's a really nice album to just have on in the background. It's solo piano versions of a bunch of classic Beach Boy's songs.

I've been curious about that. I might need to just pick it up. 

• Like 1

Been doing good on my selling stuff off. $450 on the next three records I've sold off; $229 for Alice Cooper's Along Came A Spider alone (An album I couldn't be more indifferent about), and my copy of the 2015 reissue of Rush's Presto just went for the new high sale on Discogs. Not too shabby. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Been doing good on my selling stuff off. $450 on the next three records I've sold off; $229 for Alice Cooper's Along Came A Spider alone (An album I couldn't be more indifferent about), and my copy of the 2015 reissue of Rush's Presto just went for the new high sale on Discogs. Not too shabby. 

Those 2015 Rush reissues go for big bucks. I have no idea why but the 3 I have are all insanely priced on Discogs. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Those 2015 Rush reissues go for big bucks. I have no idea why but the 3 I have are all insanely priced on Discogs. 

I don't even know why I picked Presto up in the first place. It's got a few great tracks on it but suffers from some awful production and is one of the weakest full albums in my book. My guess is I picked it up some year when my local shop did their annual 40% off sale, in which case my profit on it was something like 800% :lol: 

The other Rush album I have that goes for big bucks is Clockwork Angels, but I don't think I can bring myself to part with that one. Maybe Snakes & Arrows though, that's another $100+ record. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

New video is up. Thanks for the great comment already @Dean:)

Great topic Russ! I know for me personally I fall mostly into the all studio albums approach for completionist, although I do that for CDs more than Vinyl, with Vinyl being the albums I like the most. That being said, those top shelf bands for me like Dream Theater, Priest, Maiden, Scorpions, Queen, Rush, Alter Bridge and Sabbath I've tried to collect all of the studio album on vinyl. Live albums are on a band by band basis.

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I don't even know why I picked Presto up in the first place. It's got a few great tracks on it but suffers from some awful production and is one of the weakest full albums in my book. My guess is I picked it up some year when my local shop did their annual 40% off sale, in which case my profit on it was something like 800% :lol: 

The other Rush album I have that goes for big bucks is Clockwork Angels, but I don't think I can bring myself to part with that one. Maybe Snakes & Arrows though, that's another $100+ record. 

I once saw Clockwork Angels for sale for about 70 bucks and thought I'll wait for it to go down a little... never again have I seen it below $100... I'm kicking myself still.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just a heads up to all who sell on eBay. They changed the threshold this year to you getting a 1099 after selling 600 dollars of goods. It used to be 20k + 200+ transactions.

I am looking to sell a box set that will just about put me over that and we're only in the first month of the year so I am gonna try other routes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

Just a heads up to all who sell on eBay. They changed the threshold this year to you getting a 1099 after selling 600 dollars of goods. It used to be 20k + 200+ transactions.

I am looking to sell a box set that will just about put me over that and we're only in the first month of the year so I am gonna try other routes.

Whoa. That's crazy! 

7 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

It really is crazy. I am not going to try to sell much of anything. I sold about 25 PlayStation 5s and about 10 of the new Xbox’s last year, but  was still under the 200 transactions so I was okay. This year that wouldn’t cut it. I would be killed with taxes. So far this year I have sold a few hundred dollars in Vinyl and a few other items but I am pretty much going to stop selling online because of this new rule.

15 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

It really is crazy. I am not going to try to sell much of anything. I sold about 25 PlayStation 5s and about 10 of the new Xbox’s last year, but  was still under the 200 transactions so I was okay. This year that wouldn’t cut it. I would be killed with taxes. So far this year I have sold a few hundred dollars in Vinyl and a few other items but I am pretty much going to stop selling online because of this new rule.

i hit over 200+ but was just under 20k, so I'm good...but yeah I'm the same. I am going to try not to sell on there anymore. I'll see how it goes.

Morten Harket performed on the Masked Singer here in the UK last year and I caught his performance of Take On Me a few months back. I read the comments and seen that it was in the same style as a-ha's MTV Unplugged show from a few years back and holy fuck, what a performance! Enough for me to pull the trigger on the 3LP set of the concert. Really looking forward to it and avoiding listening to any more of the show.

• Like 1

In the town I grew up in, there was a little record store near the high school, and I went there a lot as a teenager. The owner was cool and would occasionally set stuff aside for me, I walked in one day and he brought out an original pressing of Lies from behind the counter. Paid something like $10 for it and it still sounds great.

Russ, how would you say the Lies remaster compares to the AFD remaster? I didn't mind the AFD remaster, it wasn't bad, but I listened to it a couple times when it was released then never bothered with it again. It's hard to imagine the Lies remaster is so much better than the original.

37 minutes ago, The Dissident said:

Another great video! I managed to find a copy of Lies the summer before last it was such a great find, amazing album

Thank you very much for watching and I'm glad you got one. 

16 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

In the town I grew up in, there was a little record store near the high school, and I went there a lot as a teenager. The owner was cool and would occasionally set stuff aside for me, I walked in one day and he brought out an original pressing of Lies from behind the counter. Paid something like $10 for it and it still sounds great.

Russ, how would you say the Lies remaster compares to the AFD remaster? I didn't mind the AFD remaster, it wasn't bad, but I listened to it a couple times when it was released then never bothered with it again. It's hard to imagine the Lies remaster is so much better than the original.

Honestly, I think the Lies remaster is WORLDS better than the AFD remaster. The sound stage on the acoustic tracks is huge and WAY wider than the original pressing. 

Put it this way: if I'm listening to AFD, I'll reach for my original every time. If I'm listening to Lies, I'll pull the remaster for the better sound and just be mad that OIAM isn't on it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Thank you very much for watching and I'm glad you got one. 

Honestly, I think the Lies remaster is WORLDS better than the AFD remaster. The sound stage on the acoustic tracks is huge and WAY wider than the original pressing. 

Put it this way: if I'm listening to AFD, I'll reach for my original every time. If I'm listening to Lies, I'll pull the remaster for the better sound and just be mad that OIAM isn't on it. 

Interesting... I haven't seen a cheap copy of the B-sides EP in a while but I'll keep an eye out for it. It's weird that they didn't put the acoustic Move To The City on there.

• Like 2