Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

The WYWH vinyl was in some black shrink wrap. I couldn't even seen the cover. I'm going to go back probably tomorrow and pick up Black Sabbath's Live Evil and We Sold our Souls for Rock N Roll. The latter is a great price IMO, 20 even brand new

That's how WYWH was originally released, so that's why they did it for the reissue. It was in black shrink with the "4 elements sticker" on the outside. Then when you open it, it's got the "Man on fire" picture on the inside. Again, it doesn't make the LP sound any better of course BUT if you try to find an original copy of WYWH in listenable condition, you're going to pay at least $20-$25 for it anyway.

I've never been a big fan of Live Evil because I just don't like Dio that much. I'd rather listen to Ozzy's Speak of the Devil if I'm going to listen to live Sabbath cuts. However, the latest edition of We Sold Our Souls is a STEAL. I've got on OP and I'd replace it just for shits and grins at that price.

Russ - mmlp2 came out this week right? Let us know your thoughts after you give it a spin!

Comes out next Tuesday but my place lets me have new releases when they get them in. I should be spinning it later tonight, if not definitely tomorrow night. I'll report back in either case :)

In regards to Sabbath, am I better off getting the Paranoid album or We Sold Our Soul? They are about the same price.

Depends on what you're looking for. We Sold is a hits package so you obviously get... The Hits lol. You get stuff that's not on Paranoid like Black Sabbath and The Wizard BUT you miss out on stuff like Electric Funeral and Planet Caravan from Paranoid. If I were buying just one, I suppose I'd end up going with We Sold, but I strongly recommend getting both and maybe just getting We Sold first.

Does anyone have the Music On Vinyl reissue of Jar of Flies? Its pretty damn expensive at $45, but it's my favorite AIC album.

In regards to Sabbath, am I better off getting the Paranoid album or We Sold Our Soul? They are about the same price.

Depends on what you're looking for. We Sold is a hits package so you obviously get... The Hits lol. You get stuff that's not on Paranoid like Black Sabbath and The Wizard BUT you miss out on stuff like Electric Funeral and Planet Caravan from Paranoid. If I were buying just one, I suppose I'd end up going with We Sold, but I strongly recommend getting both and maybe just getting We Sold first.

That's probably what I am going to do. Im thinking We Sold > Paranoid > s/t > Live Evil > vol. 4

Does anyone have the Music On Vinyl reissue of Jar of Flies? Its pretty damn expensive at $45, but it's my favorite AIC album.

That's probably what I am going to do. Im thinking We Sold > Paranoid > s/t > Live Evil > vol. 4

Don't have Jar Of Flies but I do have their pressing of AIC Unplugged and it sounds stunning. I've only ever had one issue with a MOV pressing and it was very minor. I've probably got 20 or so LPs by them and they're all excellent pressings.

Just picked up The Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Pay Attention double LP for $40, then saw one in identical condition go for $110. I'm addicted to collecting all their LPs now since they all have several bonus tracks.

LOVE when I get a good find like that. I also love when LPs have bonus tracks. The new Mayer Hawthorne has an extra track that's only on the LP and from what I've read it isn't going to be released elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just picked up The Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Pay Attention double LP for $40, then saw one in identical condition go for $110. I'm addicted to collecting all their LPs now since they all have several bonus tracks.

LOVE when I get a good find like that. I also love when LPs have bonus tracks. The new Mayer Hawthorne has an extra track that's only on the LP and from what I've read it isn't going to be released elsewhere.

Correct, though he played it live on the Fall tour. Hope he does again for the upcoming leg, it's a cool track.

Picked up Arcade Fire Reflektor today for only $20! 2LP with vet nice packaging. Listened to the first record and it sounds great!

Russ: did you listen to mmlp2?

Finally got to listen to it last night. I was expecting an average sound but it really, really sounds great!

Picked these up today:

11878.jpg

The Flaming Lips 2nd cassette demo 7" (30th anniversary celebration). Signed by Wayne and limited to 2000 copies, I actually picked it up for a friend but my local record store had a few and I'm thinking of picking another one up for myself :lol:

Lips-EP-2.jpg

Very cool. I cannot bring myself to get into a collectors market. There's just SO much out there and too many artists that I'd start collecting. I have very, very few pieces that one might consider to be collectible but I always love seeing what everyone else gets.

Supposedly the Black Crowes reissues are coming in early February. Other than that I think Record Store Day is the next biggie for me. I haven't heard much in the way of releases yet though.

Is there anything coming on vinyl you everyone is looking forward to?

Has the record store day list been released? Always hoping to see GNR listed

I sincerely doubt that GN'R will have any RSD releases any time soon for many reasons.

The list isn't out yet but early February is the time when things start to trickle out. I usually up in for about $200 on the April RSD, so I'm expecting that again. The only thing I've even heard a rumor about thus far is The White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan finally getting a re-issue. Other than that, everything is completely a guess at this point.

Has the record store day list been released? Always hoping to see GNR listed

I sincerely doubt that GN'R will have any RSD releases any time soon for many reasons.

The list isn't out yet but early February is the time when things start to trickle out. I usually up in for about $200 on the April RSD, so I'm expecting that again. The only thing I've even heard a rumor about thus far is The White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan finally getting a re-issue. Other than that, everything is completely a guess at this point.

I never expect to see a GN'R RSD thing, but one can always hope. Last year was sweet, the Aerosmith reissues :headbang: Countdown to February starts now!

Stopped by one of my local stores today because they are doing 20% off everything this week. Was planning on picking up the new Lady Gaga since it was supposed to come out yesterday but it got pushed back AGAIN. Whatever. I'm sick of these delays. I grabbed the first two She & Him LPs though so at least I got a deal on something while I was there.

Picked these up today:

11878.jpg

The Flaming Lips 2nd cassette demo 7" (30th anniversary celebration). Signed by Wayne and limited to 2000 copies, I actually picked it up for a friend but my local record store had a few and I'm thinking of picking another one up for myself :lol:

Lips-EP-2.jpg

Very cool. I cannot bring myself to get into a collectors market. There's just SO much out there and too many artists that I'd start collecting. I have very, very few pieces that one might consider to be collectible but I always love seeing what everyone else gets.

I don't really have much collectible stuff. I have some GnR records, singles and stuff that I've had to really search for, but a lot of the time I just come across stuff in record stores. (I never leave Seattle empty-handed! There's at least 3 stores I go to every time I'm there).

I'm really looking forward to Cradle of Filth releasing their Total Fucking Darkness demo from 1992 (their debut record came out in 1994, btw). It's got about 35 minutes of extra music (the cassette rip that's been online forever is only about 25 min), a bunch of unseen photos from that era, and it's a double record/gatefold sleeve. I don't know what it's gonna be limited to but I'm pretty sure it'll be color vinyl as well.... I don't really like color vinyl though, but whatever.

Picked these up today:

11878.jpg

Lips-EP-2.jpg

I don't really have much collectible stuff. I have some GnR records, singles and stuff that I've had to really search for, but a lot of the time I just come across stuff in record stores. (I never leave Seattle empty-handed! There's at least 3 stores I go to every time I'm there).

I'm really looking forward to Cradle of Filth releasing their Total Fucking Darkness demo from 1992 (their debut record came out in 1994, btw). It's got about 35 minutes of extra music (the cassette rip that's been online forever is only about 25 min), a bunch of unseen photos from that era, and it's a double record/gatefold sleeve. I don't know what it's gonna be limited to but I'm pretty sure it'll be color vinyl as well.... I don't really like color vinyl though, but whatever.

Same here. Anything I have that's considered "collectible" is pretty much by accident if I happened to see it.

I'm not a big fan of colored vinyl either, but I'll take it if nothing else is available. The only thing I refuse to own is picture discs. There are several albums that I just plain will not own due to the only version available being a pic disc.

Picked these up today:

11878.jpg

Lips-EP-2.jpg

Same here. Anything I have that's considered "collectible" is pretty much by accident if I happened to see it.

I'm not a big fan of colored vinyl either, but I'll take it if nothing else is available. The only thing I refuse to own is picture discs. There are several albums that I just plain will not own due to the only version available being a pic disc.

The nice thing about colored vinyl is you know it was virgin vinyl to begin with which is not always the case with the black vinyl which can be made of recycled and lower quality material...............

• Like 1

Picked these up today:

11878.jpg

Lips-EP-2.jpg

The nice thing about colored vinyl is you know it was virgin vinyl to begin with which is not always the case with the black vinyl which can be made of recycled and lower quality material...............

Touche salesman. That thought has never crossed my mind! That's a freakin' great point.

Picked these up today:

11878.jpg

Lips-EP-2.jpg

Touche salesman. That thought has never crossed my mind! That's a freakin' great point.

http://www.tested.com/tech/43554-colored-vinyl/