Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Picked up Sabbath's 13 today - found a used copy in mint condition, $13. Hated the album, but I do collect Sabbath so I had to get it eventually :tongue2:

Did that with Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue a couple months ago. Didn't really hate the album, but never liked it enough to pay full price. Found a used copy in mint condition for $10 so I couldn't pass it up. I'd buy 13 if I found that deal too even though I didn't like it much.

Picked up Sabbath's 13 today - found a used copy in mint condition, $13. Hated the album, but I do collect Sabbath so I had to get it eventually :tongue2:

I didn't mind 13. What do you think they could have done different to make the album more enjoyable?

Write a more natural album than "try" to sound like Sabbath - it comes off as very forced to me. Go check out the recent Sabbath threads and you'll see more of my feelings on 13 :lol:

Anyone ever used Discogs to buy records before? I'm still on my Bosstones kick and found that their prices are much better than anything on eBay, and generally speaking, the records seem to be in better shape. Just picked up 2 more from sellers on Discogs, so we'll see how it goes :popcorn:

I didn't mind 13. What do you think they could have done different to make the album more enjoyable?

Write a more natural album than "try" to sound like Sabbath - it comes off as very forced to me. Go check out the recent Sabbath threads and you'll see more of my feelings on 13 :lol:

Anyone ever used Discogs to buy records before? I'm still on my Bosstones kick and found that their prices are much better than anything on eBay, and generally speaking, the records seem to be in better shape. Just picked up 2 more from sellers on Discogs, so we'll see how it goes :popcorn:

I use Discogs CONSTANTLY. Out of everything I've purchased from there, I've only ever had 2 problems and both were resolved quickly.

Hey Russ one of my mates wants to get a new turntable - what gear you specifically got? Speakers aren't an issue.

Hey Russ one of my mates wants to get a new turntable - what gear you specifically got? Speakers aren't an issue.

I'm running a AT-LP240 turntable with a AT150MLX stylus installed. Turntable runs into an Adcom 7500 amplifier which runs into a Sony ES 8100 receiver.

I'm running a AT-LP240 turntable with a AT150MLX stylus installed. Turntable runs into an Adcom 7500 amplifier which runs into a Sony ES 8100 receiver.

Looks lot like my old Technics SL-1700 MKII table I bought in the 80's which is just an automatic version of the SL-1200 DJ table. Thing is Direct Drive and is built like a rock and I am getting ready to service it so I can start using it again. Need to deoxit the switches, lube the motor and most likely replace the arm return belt as they get gummy with age. Also need to find a new cartridge as I have an old Stanton 881S on it now and you can't get Stanton stylus for them anymore. Been reading on line that they are still considered decent tables so that will have to do for this year............

https://www.google.com/search?q=Technics+SL-1700+MK+II&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n4fqUuGdE8LesATEtIHwBQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1031

I love this thread as it helped me get vinyl fever again...I have read that first pressing of albums are usually the best sounding so I have been buying some select stuff off of ebay recently.

I bought 3 different first pressings of one of my desert island albums Deep Purple " Made in Japan" ...an original U.K , a Japanese (Live in Japan) and a U.S. pressing as I thought it would be fun to compare them and I am pretty sure my originals packed away in an upstairs closet are pretty beat up.

Have near mint (so the sellers claim) Black Sabbath "Vol. 4: and Jethro Tull "Thick as Brick" coming and am bidding on a few other favorite albums..........

Next purchase will be a record cleaner and might get a Spinclean for now and upgrade to a VPI in July when we get our bonuses.

Looking forward to spinning my first vinyl in close to 30 years!.............

Edited by classicrawker

Just received my first record off of Discogs; $40 for a sealed copy of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Question The Answers 2 x 10". There's a story about that one - there was a song called Pirate Ship that got pulled off the album at the last minute, but they somehow overlooked the 2 x 10" version of the album, so it's one of the rarest Bosstones records.

So far very happy with Discogs, I'll be using it in the future for sure!

Just received my first record off of Discogs; $40 for a sealed copy of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Question The Answers 2 x 10". There's a story about that one - there was a song called Pirate Ship that got pulled off the album at the last minute, but they somehow overlooked the 2 x 10" version of the album, so it's one of the rarest Bosstones records.

Will have to give them a try as I have been lucky with e-bay so far but I am buying 30-40 year old first pressings of my favorite old LP's so you have to be careful how people describe thing................

Will have to give them a try as I have been lucky with e-bay so far but I am buying 30-40 year old first pressings of my favorite old LP's so you have to be careful how people describe thing................

Discogs has their own unified grading system, so I think people's grading would more likely be accurate with their system, since eBay doesn't have a grading system. Russ has more experience with Discogs, maybe he can shed some light on this too? :shrugs:

Looks lot like my old Technics SL-1700 MKII table I bought in the 80's which is just an automatic version of the SL-1200 DJ table. Thing is Direct Drive and is built like a rock and I am getting ready to service it so I can start using it again. Need to deoxit the switches, lube the motor and most likely replace the arm return belt as they get gummy with age. Also need to find a new cartridge as I have an old Stanton 881S on it now and you can't get Stanton stylus for them anymore. Been reading on line that they are still considered decent tables so that will have to do for this year............

https://www.google.com/search?q=Technics+SL-1700+MK+II&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n4fqUuGdE8LesATEtIHwBQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1031

I love this thread as it helped me get vinyl fever again...I have read that first pressing of albums are usually the best sounding so I have been buying some select stuff off of ebay recently.

I bought 3 different first pressings of one of my desert island albums Deep Purple " Made in Japan" ...an original U.K , a Japanese (Live in Japan) and a U.S. pressing as I thought it would be fun to compare them and I am pretty sure my originals packed away in an upstairs closet are pretty beat up.

Have near mint (so the sellers claim) Black Sabbath "Vol. 4: and Jethro Tull "Thick as Brick" coming and am bidding on a few other favorite albums..........

Next purchase will be a record cleaner and might get a Spinclean for now and upgrade to a VPI in July when we get our bonuses.

Right on! So glad to hear that the thread is having that effect :D

I've been messing around online with various outlets for cartridges over the years and the one I've been happiest with thus far is www.turntableneedles.com

Discogs has their own unified grading system, so I think people's grading would more likely be accurate with their system, since eBay doesn't have a grading system. Russ has more experience with Discogs, maybe he can shed some light on this too? :shrugs:

Discogs has been excellent for me. I've bought a lot of records from there over the past 2 years and I've only ever had a few problems. Both times were 45s that were not in the condition described. With each instance, I sent a PM to the seller saying what the issue was and in both instances, they immediately replied and worked something out. It is like eBay in that you can just look at a sellers feedback and get a good idea for how trustworthy they are. Overall though, I've never run into many sellers that are bad.

Right on! So glad to hear that the thread is having that effect :D

I've been messing around online with various outlets for cartridges over the years and the one I've been happiest with thus far is www.turntableneedles.com

Discogs has been excellent for me. I've bought a lot of records from there over the past 2 years and I've only ever had a few problems. Both times were 45s that were not in the condition described. With each instance, I sent a PM to the seller saying what the issue was and in both instances, they immediately replied and worked something out. It is like eBay in that you can just look at a sellers feedback and get a good idea for how trustworthy they are. Overall though, I've never run into many sellers that are bad.

Thanks Russ I had checked out turntableneedles but their replacement stylus was $160.00 which makes me think a new cartridge would be more economical but I found another place that had one for about half that price so have to check it out.

Oh ok cool. I wish replacement stylus' were priced better overall. If I've got the cartridge, the stylus itself should be priced better IMO.

Side note-

Bought a couple records yesterday and got to check them out last night along with the Foreverly LP:

White Zombie-Astro Creep 2000

Kacey Musgraves-Same Trailer Different Park

LOVED the song on all 3 records!

Just scored a first pressing pink label Allman Bros "Live at the Fillmore East" album in Mint- condition off of ebay...........one of my desert island albums so can't wait to fire up the old Technics turntable and play all the vintage vinyl I have been buying. Still need to freshen up the turntable and check the Stanton stylus on the microscope at work to see if the tip is still in good shape but I am getting closer to liftoff!.............

Just picked up MMLP2 for only $22! Can't wait to play it tonight.

Side 1a has the 1b label...

Somehow missed this. I just spun it again the other night. Solid pressing, good sound outside of a slight distortion on the "S's" during Headlights.

Just scored a first pressing pink label Allman Bros "Live at the Fillmore East" album in Mint- condition off of ebay...........one of my desert island albums so can't wait to fire up the old Technics turntable and play all the vintage vinyl I have been buying. Still need to freshen up the turntable and check the Stanton stylus on the microscope at work to see if the tip is still in good shape but I am getting closer to liftoff!.............

I passed on an original pink pressing of Pink Floyd's Animals last week and I'm sort of kicking myself over it now.

Just picked up MMLP2 for only $22! Can't wait to play it tonight.

Side 1a has the 1b label...

Somehow missed this. I just spun it again the other night. Solid pressing, good sound outside of a slight distortion on the "S's" during Headlights.

I just brought it back to the record store. Opened up another copy and it had the same issue so I wanted a refund. The girl tried selling on a store credit per their policy and I wouldn't take no for an answer. Took about 2 minutes to get my money back :) Sucks that I don't own the record anymore...

Second record from Discogs came today / another happy purchase :)

I had a GREAT find on Discogs the other day that's almost too good to be true. I'm anxiously awaiting arrival and hoping that the record is in the shape the seller says it is.