Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Picked up the Song Remains The Same 4LP set last night.

It's pretty good as anything Zeppelin does is, but that MSG show doesn't have quite the punch as some of their other live stuff, like the shows that How The West Was Won is comprised of from a few years earlier. Still worth having for the 60 bucks it cost though.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone else is an Elvis fan but I snagged the 4 LP, MOV edition of Elvis On Stage In Memphis.

They cut songs from the original release in 1974 so it would fit on 1 LP. This version has 2 LPs with the entire show plus another 2 LPs with an entire show from 2 days before the one in Memphis. The sound on both shows is awesome and I'm really happy with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I've been going boxset crazy lately. In the last week, I have now picked up The Box of Souls (All the Nightmare on Elm Street OSTs in one box) as well as a Soundgarden boxset full of rarities and covers and what not.

Dream Warriors from Dokken is my favourite song from the Nightmare on Elm Street OST's

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Sosso said:

Dream Warriors from Dokken is my favourite song from the Nightmare on Elm Street OST's

Yeah that's a great track.

The box set is all the scores actually, but I do have a 7" single of Dream Warriors.

I saw Dokken live once as part of a festival type show and that was definitely the highlight.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Very brief mention, but if you hit the 25 minute mark, you'll hear Bumblefoot talking about my vinyl collection lol:

https://wrif.com/episodes/radio-chatter-ron-bumblefoot-thal/

@Stiff Competition , @classicrawker and @Sosso check out what I'm talking about when you get a chance :bbf06::headbang:

that's rad! Your collection is radio famous now ha.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

that's rad! Your collection is radio famous now ha.

Haha, yeah, I thought it was awesome. Like Meltdown (the DJ doing the interview) said; we met through Bumble telling him about my collection and Meltdown and I have been friends since. It was such an odd experience that night! I found myself having to tell the #1 DJ in Detroit along with freakin' Bumblefoot that it was 430am and we'd listened to enough music and it was time to go to bed! :lol:

• Like 1

Picked up the first album by this new band called Starcrawler. It's pretty fucking rad. I'm gonna go see them live next  month even.

Also got the Dunkirk OST and I just finally secured a copy of the Third Man release of The Stooges self titled album that was released only on the opening day of their pressing plant. It's yellow vinyl and the album cover is silk screened.

Picked up Culture Club Live At Wembley as I wanted to this morning. Came home and was browsing Discogs and came across a Michael Jackson album I'd be looking for. Blood On The Dance Floor is a really good later record of his that I've just never spent the money on, so I'm glad to have it on the way finally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I ever shared this here but I actually own the original painting used for Rob Zombie's "Everybody's Fucking in a UFO" single. It's also the gatefold set for the full Electric Warlock album and was used on tour shirts as well.

2ewmvyp.jpg

Edited by Stiff Competition
  • Like 1

Ordered a couple of things online-

Doyle Bramhall II & Smokestack - Welcome, 2 LP set. I also ordered the extra single LP with songs left off of Welcome.

I absolutely LOVE this album and it's never been pressed on vinyl. So I simply had to have the 2LP pressing as well as the extra tracks I've never heard.

I also grabbed the 2LP, 45rpm pressing of INXS - Kick. The OP I have sounds just fine if I'm being honest but this is just one of those records for me. I'm a sucker for it and I'll buy any special edition they wish to press. I'm a big fan of the sound on 2LP, 45rpm pressings so I'm sure this will be the best it's ever sounded.

Newest addition to my Rolling Stones Bootleg LP collection.......This is a single LP partial setlist from the November 24th, 1969 Detroit  concert missing 5 songs.  There was a 2LP  complete concert version on the boot label Bash records which  I recently bid for on eBay but it got up to  $140.00 which was too rich for my blood.

Some feel  this concert was where the Stones finally clicked on that 1969 tour and is allegedly one of the best concerts of the tour. I have the complete concert on CD and it is a smoking performance IMHO.....the audio quality on the CD version is VG for the period and this LP looks to be in NM condition but I won't know until I give it a good cleaning and a listen.

Detroit.jpg

https://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=1838

Mine is  the yellow label original pressing

Just found this SB snippet from the 1969 Detroit show...it is from a local TV station video which is supposed to be 40+ minutes long 

short snippet of video

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 7:51 PM, classicrawker said:

Tower Records founder Russ Solomon, 92, died last night while watching the Oscars.....many of my old LPs were  purchased at Tower......RIP Russ

Heard about that the other day. RIP Russ, what an awesome life he had. 

Latest Stones 1969 tour bootleg LP Baltimore 11/26/69...........you can hear "Love in Vain" from this show on the official Live "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" album.  Typical for the 70's/ 80's boot LP's it has a plain white jacket with a separate printed title sheet. Seller claims this was only played once after buying and it does need a cleaning but does look to be in NM/Mint condition

Baltimore.jpg

https://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=1853

I have all the available 1969 concerts on silver CD and most are actually fairly decent sounding for the technology back then..........only need one more bootleg LP from the Stones 69 tour from the 11/8/69 L.A. Forum second show...from what I understand this is a rare one so will be $$$  if and when I finally find one...

https://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=2413

"Love in Vain" from "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" Baltimore no overdubs

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats new album Tearing At The Seams arrived today, I got the edition with a bonus 7" and photo-book. The bonus tracks are quite good.

I'd say it's a better album overall than their first one, but with a worse production style.

Dammit, that bums me out about the production. I'd still be interested in hearing it though. May pick it up over the weekend.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:00 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

It sounds more "live"/off the floor than the first, which isn't what I was hoping for, but it's not like it sounds "bad". I'd still recommend it.

Oh, right on. I might like that sound a lot actually. I'll check it out either way.

• Like 1