Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

ok so I am considering buying both of the Illusions on vinyl, I have found some 180 gram ones pretty decent priced. Any info you guys have on them I'd love to hear.

Also to my shock, CD was on ebay for $90. I about shit when I saw that....

I've heard both the OG and 180 pressings of UYI and they're near identical. I'd go with whichever versions you can find cheaper. I'd assume the newer, 180 versions will be cheaper than the OGs.

As far as CD goes, was that one signed or something? I've never seen a regular copy go for anywhere near that.

Just bought myself a brand new factory sealed Core reissue LP for 22 dollars :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Mike420, I have a few extra copies (sealed) of CD on 180g vinyl. PM me and we'll work something out. As for UYI: I haven't heard the 180 gram versions, I have reissues but they are standard weight (not the 180 one). Hard to explain haha but they sound great

• Like 1

Just bought myself a brand new factory sealed Core reissue LP for 22 dollars :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Mike420, I have a few extra copies (sealed) of CD on 180g vinyl. PM me and we'll work something out. As for UYI: I haven't heard the 180 gram versions, I have reissues but they are standard weight (not the 180 one). Hard to explain haha but they sound great

You're in a for a treat. That Core reissue sounds bad ass hell. Suggestion: crank the fuck out if Dead And Bloated prior to the drums kicking in. Thank me after you do so.

Thanks, but I actually have CD on vinyl, I was just amazed it was being sold for $90. Maybe because of the albums "rarity" these days, it could actually be worth something someday.

Check it out... No bids though.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151194210034

Edited by Mike420

I aaaam smellin like the roses somebody gave me on my birthday death bed! :headbang:

I will for sure crank that album. I LOVE STP. Is the reissue noticably different than the OG pressing?

The new pressing DESTROYS the original pressing. The original was crammed to fit on one LP and suffers terribly from inner groove distortion. From about the 2nd track on, every song just had nearly unlistenable cymbals. The new pressing is spread out over 2 LPs and since there wasn't enough music to fill 4 sides, they did a sweet-ass laser etching of the cover on Side D. Necessary? Not by any means, but still a nice touch to show they care about the people buying it. They did the same thing with Temple of the Dog.

I'm listening to LPs right now. I'll dig out both of them and post a pic of each of the D-Sides in a few minutes.

just won a near mint pecko pressing first release Gramophone UK Deep Purple "Made in Japan" LP on Ebay....

Have not fired up the turntable in close to 20 years so looking forward to this coming.....

YES. There's NOTHING like winning a bid on a LP you haven't heard in forever and dropping the needle on that bad boy. Check back in with us when you do, please!

Thanks, but I actually have CD on vinyl, I was just amazed it was being sold for $90. Maybe because of the albums "rarity" these days, it could actually be worth something someday.

Just looked at that. In a word, that guy is NUTS. You can get CD anywhere on vinyl for next to nothing. That guy is just looking for a sucker which is his right I suppose.

Edit-

Core D-side:

1zydgmx.jpg

Temple D-side:

9ir0nq.jpg

Did the best I could with the lighting in the rock room, but you get the gist.

UYI I just stopped, I say it everytime but holy shit what an amazing album. I'm not sure wha'ts gonna be next though, UYI II, Chinese, Mellencamp's "Scarecrow" or Taylor Swift's "Red" I'm really leaning towards Red haha. Spin it for Aaron

UYI I & II really, REALLY shine on LP. Chinese is good except for the inner tracks, especially IRS. I only have The Lonesome Jubilee by Mellencamp on vinyl but godddamnit if I don't love Cherry Bomb and Check It Out! A buddy brought Red over a couple months ago and we listened to the whole thing. It was better than I was expecting, but if I'm gonna buy some T. Swizzle on vinyl, it's gonna be the first 3 LPs if and when they become available.

Folsom and San Quentin are two others I keep meaning to buy. Did you buy the re-issues or are they original? I'm just curious how either sound.

Both lp's are original editions, i bought them at a fleamarket a little while ago.

Cool. I see them used all the time but always think about waiting to get the reissues. I should probably just grab the originals when I find them in good shape.

Beasties, RATM, Outkast, En Vogue, Bangles and Stevie Wonder. That's it right there boy especially Beasties and the last three.

1744921650_NotSureIfSerious_answer_4_xla

But I would be shocked if I don't end up listening to all of them in the same sitting too haha.

Why'd you think that? :lol:

I have super eclectic taste so I'm never sure if people are serious or poking fun haha.

No I'm serious. I'm a fan of music that's good to my ears, not genres or what's cool.
  • Like 1

this is my setup

20uxrgj.jpg

Audio Technica LP120 upgraded with an AT120E cartridge.

Audio Engine A5+ Speakers

I have the same turntable. Do you use the built in preamp or do you have another one? I'm thinking up upgrading my cartridge so I'll look up yours as well as the one Russ highly recommended.

I'm debating if I should also get the Illusions on vinyl but the going rate I see is about $40 each and not sure I want to spend that much. Do they really sound that much better than the CD versions?

For Christmas my gf bought me I'm Beside You by RHCP (I'm with you outtakes). She also bought me another album but I don't get it until the weekend. I think it's the White Album :)

Going to head to the record store tomorrow in hopes of some Boxing Day sales.

• Like 1

this is my setup20uxrgj.jpg

I have the same turntable. Do you use the built in preamp or do you have another one? I'm thinking up upgrading my cartridge so I'll look up yours as well as the one Russ highly recommended.

I'm debating if I should also get the Illusions on vinyl but the going rate I see is about $40 each and not sure I want to spend that much. Do they really sound that much better than the CD versions?

For Christmas my gf bought me I'm Beside You by RHCP (I'm with you outtakes). She also bought me another album but I don't get it until the weekend. I think it's the White Album :)

I use the built in pre amp and my speakers are active so it's a really streamlined setup. The record player hooks straight in to the speakers with no need for anything else.

Very nice! I have a black Expedit that I use as a shelf for my turntable, amplifier and extra supplies (outer & inner sleeves, cleaning brushes, etc). I used the AT120E stylus for a long time then eventually stepped up to the AT440MLa. I cannot tell you how big of a different it is. If you get a chance, I highly recommend trying that stylus.

I've been reading reviews and most people say the AT120E is better for the cost (especially since the 440 has gone up in price). How does CD sound with the AT120E?

Very nice! I have a black Expedit that I use as a shelf for my turntable, amplifier and extra supplies (outer & inner sleeves, cleaning brushes, etc). I used the AT120E stylus for a long time then eventually stepped up to the AT440MLa. I cannot tell you how big of a different it is. If you get a chance, I highly recommend trying that stylus.

I've been reading reviews and most people say the AT120E is better for the cost (especially since the 440 has gone up in price). How does CD sound with the AT120E?

Everything but IRS and The Blues sound fine with the AT120, but those two tracks are 100% unlistenable.

Personally, I think there's a world of difference between the 120 and 440. I bent the cantilever on my 440 (being a drunk idiot) and I'm so pissed at myself now that I'm back on the 120 for now.

As for UYI, I cannot stress enough that I think the vinyl is head and shoulders above the CD versions. The guitars alone are worth it. Axl's voice also sounds far more natural on every single track I'm my opinion.

Pretty excited, got both Illusions for $56 bucks including tax and shipping. Both brand new 180 grams. I can't wait to listen to them!!!!

I love vinyl, but I'm in it for the listening and enjoying. Not never opening them. I want to hear them the way they were intended.

BTW, does anyone have lies, tsi, or live era on vinyl? Live era is worth some coin. Was greatest hits ever pressed on vinyl?

Edited by Mike420

Pretty excited, got both Illusions for $56 bucks including tax and shipping. Both brand new 180 grams. I can't wait to listen to them!!!!

I love vinyl, but I'm in it for the listening and enjoying. Not never opening them. I want to hear them the way they were intended.

I open and listen to all my records.

Where did you order the illusions from?

I use the built in pre amp and my speakers are active so it's a really streamlined setup. The record player hooks straight in to the speakers with no need for anything else.

Man where'd you get that copy of Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover?

Man where'd you get that copy of Yesterday and Today with the butcher cover?

eBay about 5 years ago or so

Someday I plan on buying a 2nd state copy as well.

BTW, does anyone have lies, tsi, or live era on vinyl? Live era is worth some coin. Was greatest hits ever pressed on vinyl?

I've got Live Like A Suicide thru Chinese on vinyl. Live Era was hands down the hardest one to get. Hits hasn't been pressed on vinyl, but there's a 45 for Sympathy For The Devil.

Live era was harder to get than live like a suicide? Wow....

I pretty much have given up on live like a suicide and live era, but lies and tsi would be fun to have.

Well, what I mean by that is that you can usually find LLaS but it's expensive. Live Era seems a little harder to even find for sale and it's priced crazy most of the time. I happened to luck into both for far less than usual. I can't remember for sure now, but I think my Live Era was sealed when I got it. I'm like you guys, sealed or not, I open that shit and listen to it as soon as it arrives LOL

UYI on vinyl is worth every cent on vinyl. I highly reccomend it, it's worth the investment.

I had a GREAT day today, I picked up:

Mötley Crüe: Too Fast For Love (finally!!)

KISS: Double Platinum

Crosby Stills Nash and Young: So Far (for $4!)

Bread: Guitar Man

Blue Öyster Cult: On Your Feet or On Your Knees

I aaaam smellin like the roses somebody gave me on my birthday death bed! :headbang:

I will for sure crank that album. I LOVE STP. Is the reissue noticably different than the OG pressing?

The new pressing DESTROYS the original pressing. The original was crammed to fit on one LP and suffers terribly from inner groove distortion. From about the 2nd track on, every song just had nearly unlistenable cymbals. The new pressing is spread out over 2 LPs and since there wasn't enough music to fill 4 sides, they did a sweet-ass laser etching of the cover on Side D. Necessary? Not by any means, but still a nice touch to show they care about the people buying it. They did the same thing with Temple of the Dog.

I'm listening to LPs right now. I'll dig out both of them and post a pic of each of the D-Sides in a few minutes.

just won a near mint pecko pressing first release Gramophone UK Deep Purple "Made in Japan" LP on Ebay....

Have not fired up the turntable in close to 20 years so looking forward to this coming.....

YES. There's NOTHING like winning a bid on a LP you haven't heard in forever and dropping the needle on that bad boy. Check back in with us when you do, please!

Just looked at that. In a word, that guy is NUTS. You can get CD anywhere on vinyl for next to nothing. That guy is just looking for a sucker which is his right I suppose.

Edit-

Core D-side:

1zydgmx.jpg

Temple D-side:

9ir0nq.jpg

Did the best I could with the lighting in the rock room, but you get the gist.

That loos Awesome!! I see The Crowes/Jimmy Page @ The Greek LP. I'm thinking about buying that LP soon

I just got back from my local record store and came back with the following goodies :)

Notorious BIG -Ready to Die (re-issue)

Kendrick Lamar - GKMC

Beady Eye - BE

I saw Biggie at my local shop but didn't get it today. I want to get that, Em's Curtain Call, Snoop Lion's Reincarnated and Lil Wayne's Tha Carter IV very soon though

I just got back from my local record store and came back with the following goodies :)

Notorious BIG -Ready to Die (re-issue)

Kendrick Lamar - GKMC

Beady Eye - BE

NICE. I keep meaning to pick up all 3 of those and just never do for some reason.

UYI on vinyl is worth every cent on vinyl. I highly reccomend it, it's worth the investment.

I had a GREAT day today, I picked up:

Mötley Crüe: Too Fast For Love (finally!!)

KISS: Double Platinum

Crosby Stills Nash and Young: So Far (for $4!)

Bread: Guitar Man

Blue Öyster Cult: On Your Feet or On Your Knees

Nice haul. Too Fast and MC '94 are the too I'm missing from them right now. Too Fast is easy to come by, I just need to pull the trigger on it.

I just grabbed:

STP-Tiny Music (on blue marble vinyl)

Jake Bugg-Shangri La

I need Tiny music on vinyl. TFFL is incredibly easy to get on vinyl, I paid 18 dollars for it. I don't think MC94 was released on vinyl though. If it was, I need to get it. I'm still missing SOLA and Theatre from Crüe. Let me know how Tiny Music sounds. I don't have colored vinyl, does it take away from the sound at all?