Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

Oh man.   Anyone else get that adrenaline pumping feeling when you've managed to snag a rare record right as it drops on RSD day?

I feel so dumb for even saying that.   Thousands of years ago, our ancestors needed adrenaline to outrun goddamn sabretooth tigers, and here I am with my heart racing cause I managed to click a button in time to get a record I don't really "need."   We live in crazy times.

Anyway....this stupid bastard record sold out instantly so they pressed some more for one last drop today here in Japan.  I managed to get one.  I was only interested in it for the cover art by one of my favorite artists, but I actually listened to some of it on youtube and it's pretty good, so that's even better.

121541951_4541309709244692_328144000491986698-young-alive-in-love.jpg

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 2

At the recent RSD this past weekend I picked up:

- the Black Mirror soundtrack vinyl (been getting into ambient recently, Brian Eno esque stuff, which on vinyl sounds fantastic)

- Alice Cooper live (LE vinyl)

- Steven Wilson (LE single) - more for value purposes than liking the song*.

- Pineapple Thief - re-recordings with Gavin Harrison LE. He's one of my favourite drummers.

- Miles Davis - Bitches Brew outtakes.

Looking forward to the Black Friday RSD as well... only problem is it's on a frickin' friday! Will have to scrape an hour off work first thing to head down.

*the Guthrie Govan / Marco Minnemann albums he did were beyond fantastic and some of the best albums of the past 10 years (Hand Cannot Erase - any Pink Floyd fan should check this out) but the recent Personal Shopper stuff has been poor. 

34 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Just to add... it seems the excitement around RSD, at least around here, is diminishing. The August drop I went to the store at 7.20am and there was already 15-20 people waiting. I went this past saturday at 7.30am and was the first one in the queue.

I think this last list was the weakest of the 3 this year, or at least it definitely was for me. On top of that the pandemic really threw a wrench in things. It'll be interesting to see how it bounces back next year. I'm thinking it will. 

I haven't even bothered my arse opening the Guns Greatest Hits on vinyl. It's purely there for completions sake and it will continue to remain in it's packaging now that I have this bad boy: 

123106833_352859302614296_1941533648919774399_n.jpg.cd727197ce2ba3e9c257497ff29118f8.jpg

Words cannot emphasize enough my delight at finally owning this, or my thanks to @estrangedtwatfor playing an integral part in me owning it. I'd never heard of Belle & Sebastian prior to their Record Store Day release a few months back of their 90's album Tiger Milk - mental considering they are from my neck of the woods but for whatever reason, I missed them - and the fact that they had a minor part in this story is amusing to me, so in the picture above, to keep with a Glaswegian theme, one of the prodigal sons (Daniel Fergus McGrain) is resting up against one of my now prized possessions :D

Live Era is my most played Guns record after Chinese. I appreciate Appetite in all it's glory, but I always felt that material grew bigger balls in a live setting, and despite the polishing in studio that Live Era received, I feel it still showcases what a great live band GN'R have always been, especially for that period, that in addition with Axl's re-recorded vocals, which my belief is that it showcases him at the very fucking top of his game (as does Chinese), it's always had a lot of play whenever I've been on the go. Balls to the wall and all that. It's not even lunch time and I'm making some progress into it. 1 LP down, 3 to go!!!

Edited by Dean
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I haven't even bothered my arse opening the Guns Greatest Hits on vinyl. It's purely there for completions sake and it will continue to remain in it's packaging now that I have this bad boy: 

123106833_352859302614296_1941533648919774399_n.jpg.cd727197ce2ba3e9c257497ff29118f8.jpg

Words cannot emphasize enough my delight at finally owning this, or my thanks to @estrangedtwatfor playing an integral part in me owning it. I'd never heard of Belle & Sebastian prior to their Record Store Day release a few months back of their 90's album Tiger Milk - mental considering they are from my neck of the woods but for whatever reason, I missed them - and the fact that they had a minor part in this story is amusing to me, so in the picture above, to keep with a Glaswegian theme, one of the prodigal sons (Daniel Fergus McGrain) is resting up against one of my now prized possessions :D

Live Era is my most played Guns record after Chinese. I appreciate Appetite in all it's glory, but I always felt that material grew bigger balls in a live setting, and despite the polishing in studio that Live Era received, I feel it still showcases what a great live band GN'R have always been, especially for that period, that in addition with Axl's re-recorded vocals, which my belief is that it showcases him at the very fucking top of his game (as does Chinese), it's always had a lot of play whenever I've been on the go. Balls to the wall and all that. It's not even lunch time and I'm making some progress into it. 1 LP down, 3 to go!!!

Congrats on getting Live Era! 

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just gonna skip buying GH. The European pressing of Chinese that i got sounds amazing and will most likely be the last GN'R LP I buy. I'm really thankful to finally have a great sounding pressing of Chinese though. 

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Congrats on getting Live Era! 

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just gonna skip buying GH. The European pressing of Chinese that i got sounds amazing and will most likely be the last GN'R LP I buy. I'm really thankful to finally have a great sounding pressing of Chinese though. 

Thanks!!

The US pressing was horrendous wasn't it? In saying that, I wanted another sealed copy of it and the US version was much cheaper so currently waiting on that getting shipped across. I may open that eventually if Tommy or Bumble etc are ever back over here doing shows and get them to sign it and just leave my EU pressing for playing. They should have rectified that issue to begin with though. Would love to see a Red Hand cover on vinyl if they ever do a re-release and hopefully you change your tune RE the last Guns related LP you buy if and when they release something new! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dean said:

Thanks!!

The US pressing was horrendous wasn't it? In saying that, I wanted another sealed copy of it and the US version was much cheaper so currently waiting on that getting shipped across. I may open that eventually if Tommy or Bumble etc are ever back over here doing shows and get them to sign it and just leave my EU pressing for playing. They should have rectified that issue to begin with though. Would love to see a Red Hand cover on vinyl if they ever do a re-release and hopefully you change your tune RE the last Guns related LP you buy if and when they release something new! 

Yeah, it's so unfortunate but the US pressing of Chinese might be the single worst sounding LP I've ever heard. 

As far as future GNR releases go, I'll absolutely buy a new studio album if they ever release one. I might even buy a new live album, but I'd be on the fence about that. 

• Like 1

Over the past month I've been acquiring some records to either complete classic runs of bands I've been into for a while, or to add to the collection of more recently discovered bands that I've been getting into, albiet I'm very late to the game for some of these bands, either by avoidance or taking longer to get used to their singer's vocals

• Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  • Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  • Black Sabbath - Sabotage
  • Elton John - Madman Across The Water
  • Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
  • Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution
  • Rush - Signals
  • Rush - Grace Under Pressure
  • Rush - Power Windows
  • Rush - Presto
  • Scorpions - Savage Amusement
  • Yes - The Yes Album
  • Yes - Fragile
  • Yes - Close To The Edge
  • Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
  • Yes - 90125

Needless to say my turntable has had quite a few spins as of late. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Dissident said:

Over the past month I've been acquiring some records to either complete classic runs of bands I've been into for a while, or to add to the collection of more recently discovered bands that I've been getting into, albiet I'm very late to the game for some of these bands, either by avoidance or taking longer to get used to their singer's vocals

• Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  • Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  • Black Sabbath - Sabotage
  • Elton John - Madman Across The Water
  • Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
  • Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution
  • Rush - Signals
  • Rush - Grace Under Pressure
  • Rush - Power Windows
  • Rush - Presto
  • Scorpions - Savage Amusement
  • Yes - The Yes Album
  • Yes - Fragile
  • Yes - Close To The Edge
  • Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans
  • Yes - 90125

Needless to say my turntable has had quite a few spins as of late. 

90125 is the only LP I have by Yes. I really need to get some more for sure. 

• Like 1

Shot the first couple of YouTube videos for my podcast today. Did a run down of my whole music area, where we record the show and so on for the first video. Then the second one is a run down of my full audio rig. 

Those two should be out in a couple of weeks. After that, I'm gonna start doing more videos on the collectibles and rare pressings I have. Should be fun. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 3:36 AM, RussTCB said:

Shot the first couple of YouTube videos for my podcast today. Did a run down of my whole music area, where we record the show and so on for the first video. Then the second one is a run down of my full audio rig. 

Those two should be out in a couple of weeks. After that, I'm gonna start doing more videos on the collectibles and rare pressings I have. Should be fun. 

I love watching stuff like that, plus with your set up, the material you can shoot is endless!!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dean said:

I love watching stuff like that, plus with your set up, the material you can shoot is endless!!!

Right on. It should be fun for sure. Hoping to get the first video up soon. I'll post it in here and the podcast thread once it's up :)

• Thanks 1

I posted this in the locked and loaded thread but at udiscovermusic right now they have a 30% off sale and if you use code 30OFF!FALL, you get an additional 30% off.

i picked up volumes 1 and 2 or the Def Leppard box sets for essentially the price of one of them.

Theres some other good box sets by soundgarden, john Lennon, etc that can be had for great prices right now.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last record I purchased. I think it was the latest Raconteurs album (which I love) that came with ticket purchase. Anyway I just noticed that one of my favorite albums, Powderfinger's Odyssey Number Five, was recently reissued so I had to pick it up. Had to order it from Amazon.com, and its being shipped from the UK. Comes in a lovely aqua colour with a 2nd disk with bsides/different takes. Cant wait!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

I can't remember the last record I purchased. I think it was the latest Raconteurs album (which I love) that came with ticket purchase. Anyway I just noticed that one of my favorite albums, Powderfinger's Odyssey Number Five, was recently reissued so I had to pick it up. Had to order it from Amazon.com, and its being shipped from the UK. Comes in a lovely aqua colour with a 2nd disk with bsides/different takes. Cant wait!

I love when rare / out of print stuff gets reissued. 

The last LP I bought was that Skid Row reissue for Record Store Day. I think I'm good for a while at this point other than a Matchbox Twenty set I ordered a while back. 

Nothing on the coming soon lists I've been waiting for. Which is fine, because my wallet needs a break lol 

On 11/5/2020 at 12:00 AM, RussTCB said:

I love when rare / out of print stuff gets reissued. 

The last LP I bought was that Skid Row reissue for Record Store Day. I think I'm good for a while at this point other than a Matchbox Twenty set I ordered a while back. 

Nothing on the coming soon lists I've been waiting for. Which is fine, because my wallet needs a break lol 

That skid Row reissue was £50 in my local store on RSD. No idea why it was so expensive. Most others were £30. Had it been £30 probably would have bit.

Anyone else hate it when they stick stickers on the cellophane wrap on a new vinyl? Got a limited edition movie soundtrack vinyl this week and the "limited edition" sticker is on the wrap. No way to save it unless I keep it unopened. Why don't they stick that stuff on the actual packaging?!

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

That skid Row reissue was £50 in my local store on RSD. No idea why it was so expensive. Most others were £30. Had it been £30 probably would have bit.

Not justifying the price, but I will say the packaging was FAR better than I expected. It's in a gatefold that's really thick cardboard. They also included poly inner sleeves, which is a nice touch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably my final Vinyl purchase for the year, unless I come across some of the records on my instant purchase list, is the 5 vinyl box set of Iced Earth - Alive In Athens. It came in today, the set looks beautiful, I'm deciding on how I approach it since the album is 3 hours long. That cover art was created for Vinyl.

• Like 1

Just picked up Discovery and Random Access Memories on vinyl. Two of my favorite records. 

I've been scouting at purchasing Queen's Live at Wembley, but don't want to pay a small fortune for it. Holding off to find a copy in the right condition for the right price!