Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Very nice man, looks great. Been looking into investing in one of The Beatles boxsets, I may sell the mono and stereo boxsets on CD to raise funds for it, they've never been played, though dunno if they've even held value since I bought them in 2009. How phenomenal is the packaging of the Queen box though? Great piece.

The mono set is the one to get. It’s spectacular, though pretty pricey these days. The stereo one is ok. I’ve had it and sold it. I have the MFSL set that covers the stereo side of things.

And yeah, the queen set was very nicely executed. It’s the same setup as the Beatles sets (Same box, comes with a book, etc...just wrapped differently)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

The mono set is the one to get. It’s spectacular, though pretty pricey these days. The stereo one is ok. I’ve had it and sold it. I have the MFSL set that covers the stereo side of things.

And yeah, the queen set was very nicely executed. It’s the same setup as the Beatles sets (Same box, comes with a book, etc...just wrapped differently)

I've been toying with the Queen and Rolling Stones Box sets for weeks. This while incredibly helpful makes them more tempting which isn't ideal at this time xD

9 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

I moved a few months back so had to start over on where everything goes.

this is my record wall now and my player / speakers are in the twin peaks themed room you can see in the background.

EnxqQKuVQAEtnF2?format=jpg&name=large

That's a great looking setup 

9 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Thanks man!

this is the other side of the wall with the player.

EnyjTPrUUAEAPHc?format=jpg&name=large

Did you get a chance to check out my YouTube videos I posted in the thread? There's a couple up now and I'm gonna put another one up every Thursday morning. 

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Did you get a chance to check out my YouTube videos I posted in the thread? There's a couple up now and I'm gonna put another one up every Thursday morning. 

I watched the one of you going through the room and showing the racks you got from the old store.  Very cool.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stiff Competition said:

I watched the one of you going through the room and showing the racks you got from the old store.  Very cool.

Right on. Thanks for taking a look. The one I put up today is a run down of my audio gear. The next one is a little more about the decorations on the walls but after that, every video will be about rare and favorite pressings. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Been putting it off for a while but my new Rega Planar record player arrived this past week. Amazing what a difference it makes to the sound. Soooooo smooth. 

I equally love and hate you guys.... You've gotten me into a fantastic but bloody expensive hobby! 🙂

Congrats and sorry haha. 

As for me, I picked up a couple of odds & ends recently:

Grabbed the 3 LP remix / remaster edition of Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder. This was strictly a completionist thing as I have everything else from Floyd. There's a lot of REALLY bad things about it with the packaging probably being the only redeeming quality. 

While I was at the record store, they still had some copies of Alice In Chains - Sap, so I grabbed that. I still need to get the recent reissue of Facelift as well but I grabbed Sap first since it's limited. 

My last pick up is super odd. I found out yesterday that Walmart had an exclusive pressings of Poisons Greatest Hits so I ran to a local Walmart to grab it. 

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Congrats and sorry haha. 

As for me, I picked up a couple of odds & ends recently:

Grabbed the 3 LP remix / remaster edition of Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder. This was strictly a completionist thing as I have everything else from Floyd. There's a lot of REALLY bad things about it with the packaging probably being the only redeeming quality. 

While I was at the record store, they still had some copies of Alice In Chains - Sap, so I grabbed that. I still need to get the recent reissue of Facelift as well but I grabbed Sap first since it's limited. 

My last pick up is super odd. I found out yesterday that Walmart had an exclusive pressings of Poisons Greatest Hits so I ran to a local Walmart to grab it. 

I was looking at that Pink Floyd release. I'd be interested to know what you don't like about it, as from what I've seen it looks amazing.

At RSD Black Friday I picked up Herbie Hancock. Was also after Bill Evan's but think it was in mega demand so missed it - I suspect the store only received 1 or 2 copies.

I also recently picked up the Exorcist soundtrack. I've got a thing for soundtracks. Also have The Thing deluxe box set.

55 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I was looking at that Pink Floyd release. I'd be interested to know what you don't like about it, as from what I've seen it looks amazing.

At RSD Black Friday I picked up Herbie Hancock. Was also after Bill Evan's but think it was in mega demand so missed it - I suspect the store only received 1 or 2 copies.

I also recently picked up the Exorcist soundtrack. I've got a thing for soundtracks. Also have The Thing deluxe box set.

The Exorcist soundtrack sounds interesting, I love Tubular Bells. What else is on it?

34 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

The Exorcist soundtrack sounds interesting, I love Tubular Bells. What else is on it?

Picked it up from Waxwork Records. "Pazuzu smoke" coloured vinyl. The packaging is always excellent from those guys. It's basically excerpts from the soundtrack. Mostly around Tubular Bells and variations of that, but additional compositions. Very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

What I don't like about it comes down to the remix aspect of it. 

I adore the original album / mix. The could have remastered the original mix, added fee 9 songs and everything would have been fine. 

Gilmour didn't do that though. Nearly every song sounds at least 60% different from the original version, some are nearly 100% different. 

That's a lot to swallow for fans who have been listening to the album a certain way for 30+ years. 

Having said all of that, if you've never heard the album or maybe aren't even that familiar with it, I could see not minding. 

59 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

New YouTube video is up :)

Incredible.

Love the Waters autograph too. My friend missed Floyd in their heyday, but caught Waters at the O2 back in 2011 where Gilmour appeared for Comfortably Numb. I think that was kept on the down low and wasn't advertised, I could be wrong on that, but he at least didn't know about it and said it was phenomenal and ended up covered in goosebumps when he appeared. Love hearing stuff like that!

42 minutes ago, Dean said:

Incredible.

Love the Waters autograph too. My friend missed Floyd in their heyday, but caught Waters at the O2 back in 2011 where Gilmour appeared for Comfortably Numb. I think that was kept on the down low and wasn't advertised, I could be wrong on that, but he at least didn't know about it and said it was phenomenal and ended up covered in goosebumps when he appeared. Love hearing stuff like that!

That's so rad that he was there for the Gilmour appearance. I have a friend who was there for the reunion at Live8 and I'm eternally jealous. 

Meeting Roger was VERY cool though. He was far nicer than I anticipated and I think the fact that I was an actual fan, not an eBayer helped. 

Thanks for watching the videos. It's such a grind getting a YouTube channel off the ground lol. 

Next week starts the rare & special pressings videos. I've got 7 more videos in the can right now including stuff from GN'R, MJ, Prince & more. There will be one every Thursday highlighting a different artist & pressing. 

Not sure where I'll go after that but hopefully we'll get more views, likes, comments & questions that will help me find the direction of the channel. 

• GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's so rad that he was there for the Gilmour appearance. I have a friend who was there for the reunion at Live8 and I'm eternally jealous. 

Meeting Roger was VERY cool though. He was far nicer than I anticipated and I think the fact that I was an actual fan, not an eBayer helped. 

Thanks for watching the videos. It's such a grind getting a YouTube channel off the ground lol. 

Next week starts the rare & special pressings videos. I've got 7 more videos in the can right now including stuff from GN'R, MJ, Prince & more. There will be one every Thursday highlighting a different artist & pressing. 

Not sure where I'll go after that but hopefully we'll get more views, likes, comments & questions that will help me find the direction of the channel. 

Looking forward to them!

Waters would have definitely appreciated that, plus he must be able to pick out genuine fans from the folk punting various items on eBay for inflated prices, especially when you're not throwing several LP's in his face to sign! :lol: 

It'll be hard to get it off the ground, but I definitely think you're on the right track. I reckon when you start doing rare pressings, you'll get an entire different audience that may not necessarily listen to podcasts and you'll be able to get new listeners that way. I just had a quick look and there seems to be a rack of views on videos relating to that Moonwalker game, may even be worthwhile doing a standalone video solely on that, bit of playthrough etc and you could send that across the MJ community to help get the ball rolling. The options are endless for what you can do and you've already done the hard part - owning all of that cool stuff! It may be a bit of a grind, but keep doing what you're doing and I have every faith your hard work will pay off. Just make sure you're tagging everything imaginable into your videos - I don't even know if it's still a thing, but you could tag in a lot of key words that are all relative to ensure that the videos appear on searches relating to those specific words!

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

Looking forward to them!

Waters would have definitely appreciated that, plus he must be able to pick out genuine fans from the folk punting various items on eBay for inflated prices, especially when you're not throwing several LP's in his face to sign! :lol: 

It'll be hard to get it off the ground, but I definitely think you're on the right track. I reckon when you start doing rare pressings, you'll get an entire different audience that may not necessarily listen to podcasts and you'll be able to get new listeners that way. I just had a quick look and there seems to be a rack of views on videos relating to that Moonwalker game, may even be worthwhile doing a standalone video solely on that, bit of playthrough etc and you could send that across the MJ community to help get the ball rolling. The options are endless for what you can do and you've already done the hard part - owning all of that cool stuff! It may be a bit of a grind, but keep doing what you're doing and I have every faith your hard work will pay off. Just make sure you're tagging everything imaginable into your videos - I don't even know if it's still a thing, but you could tag in a lot of key words that are all relative to ensure that the videos appear on searches relating to those specific words!

I've been trying to do the tagging like you mentioned. I tag a crap load of stuff when I upload the video, then I even use some hashtags in the descriptions. 

Michael Jackson fans pounce on ANYTHING lol, so the first rare vinyl video coming next week is Michael Jackson - HIStory. It's a rare pressing in the first place and on top of that, MJ fans will probably watch and share it a lot. 

I actually picked a really diverse selection of artists for the first 7 rare pressing videos for exactly the reason you mentioned. I'm hoping to draw in fans of all different types of artists, then go from there once the (hopefully) likes & comments start flowing it. 

That's a good idea about doing a video on the Moonwalker can specifically. I will probably put that in the next round of videos we shoot! 

I've just ordered Steve Perry's alternative Traces. Got it on Spotify currently, easy way for him to cash in at this time of year but some of the arrangements are truly fantastic. I'd love for him to do a few shows to support this record once it's safe to do so, can't believe he never took the plunge when Traces came out back in 2018 but he may still have reservations about being exposed like that.

I also ordered Bash & Pop's Friday Night is Killing Me. Imported in from the States via Amazon for £2 delivery. Beautiful. God bless Tommy Stinson and have a great fucking weekend folks!!!

That said, I'm feeling spinning some Bing Crosby and Perry Como tonight :lol:

3 hours ago, Dean said:

I've just ordered Steve Perry's alternative Traces. Got it on Spotify currently, easy way for him to cash in at this time of year but some of the arrangements are truly fantastic. I'd love for him to do a few shows to support this record once it's safe to do so, can't believe he never took the plunge when Traces came out back in 2018 but he may still have reservations about being exposed like that.

I also ordered Bash & Pop's Friday Night is Killing Me. Imported in from the States via Amazon for £2 delivery. Beautiful. God bless Tommy Stinson and have a great fucking weekend folks!!!

That said, I'm feeling spinning some Bing Crosby and Perry Como tonight :lol:

I really need to go back and pick up the original version of Traces. 

I haven't spun anything all week, but I'm getting down tonight for sure. I can't wait to spin the Poison - Greatest Hits LP I picked up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I really need to go back and pick up the original version of Traces. 

I haven't spun anything all week, but I'm getting down tonight for sure. I can't wait to spin the Poison - Greatest Hits LP I picked up!

Get it picked up!!! Solid effort. His cover of 'I Need You' is superb, as is the acoustic take on this alternative release. I definitely prefer the acoustic version of No Erasin', Steve at his best!

• Like 1

Picked up some new vinyl recently:

- Herbie Hancock trio from RSD Black Friday 

- Alice in Chains Sap also from RSD Black Friday 

- Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder. Russ convinced me (and I love it - hadn't read any of the fuss about the remix but read a bit after it was mentioned above, but I actually much prefer this new mix). Only gripe is the thin outer box / poor packaging.

- Johnny Winter's last album on "bullet" red vinyl

- Dark Side of the Moon 2016 remastered version (an Amazon black friday snap purchase).

- 5 disc Steven Wilson live boxset (some of the songs off this were recorded at a gig I attended). The whole set is excellent.

That's me done until spring I think.