Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

26 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Picked up some new vinyl recently:

- Herbie Hancock trio from RSD Black Friday 

- Alice in Chains Sap also from RSD Black Friday 

- Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder. Russ convinced me (and I love it - hadn't read any of the fuss about the remix but read a bit after it was mentioned above, but I actually much prefer this new mix). Only gripe is the thin outer box / poor packaging.

- Johnny Winter's last album on "bullet" red vinyl

- Dark Side of the Moon 2016 remastered version (an Amazon black friday snap purchase).

- 5 disc Steven Wilson live boxset (some of the songs off this were recorded at a gig I attended). The whole set is excellent.

That's me done until spring I think. 

Wow, it's funny that we're completely opposite on the Floyd released lol. I'm not a fan of the mix at all but I do like the packaging. Different strokes though! :)

55 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wow, it's funny that we're completely opposite on the Floyd released lol. I'm not a fan of the mix at all but I do like the packaging. Different strokes though! :)

The design of the packaging is fantastic, and inner sleeves good. I just think the "box" is too thin. It should be hard card. Otherwise, it's excellent. I never really listened much to the original mix so am not really emotionally attached to it.

3 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

The design of the packaging is fantastic, and inner sleeves good. I just think the "box" is too thin. It should be hard card. Otherwise, it's excellent. I never really listened much to the original mix so am not really emotionally attached to it.

Right on. Yeah, if you're not into the original mix or haven't heard it that much I could definitely see preferring this one. 

Will tune into that later tonight!!!

Awaiting deliveries of more records. Finally picked up Terry Reid’s self titled album at a decent price, hoping it’ll be in good enough condition though the listing did say it was grand, so it should be fine! 
Frank Sinatra’s In the Wee Hours and another Greatest Hits compilation, Perry Como’s First 30 Years boxset, John Lennon’s Double Fantasy and a Rat Pack compilation. Today has been a good day!

• Like 1

Picked up a couple of things at the record store this morning:

Eminem - Music To Be Murdered By 

Elvis - From Elvis In Nashville (50th Anniversary Edition) 

Sturgill Simpson - Cuttin' Grass Volume 1

I also wanted some 7" records but they didn't have anything interesting, so I came home and ordered some off Discogs:

Eddie Money - Take Me Home Tonight 

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

The Pretenders - Brass In Pocket 

• Like 1

Going through a Dire Straits binge this morning. I picked up their self titled album for £7.50 in a record store in Newcastle back in 2005 - Probably haven't played it since, but the condition of it is pristine, doesn't look it's 42 years at all. Had that played early doors and now making my way through Brothers in Arms.

• Like 2

Terry Reid's self titled effort arrived today. I picked this up for around £20, condition is a good enough, but playing well so far. Great record and if you haven't heard of him, I strongly advise you listen to this record, Seed of Memory and River. Great records and was the first chanter Jimmy Page approached to front a band he was getting together, he declined and recommended Plant. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Really cool. I have this album on CD and might bust it out again.

The latter half is so, so good. Thanks for watching btw :)

I've got plenty of videos filmed and they'll come out every Thursday. More to come on rare and special pressings. 

Going forward, I really want to see some interaction on the YouTube page. I want to make videos based on what everyone might want to see. 

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The latter half is so, so good. Thanks for watching btw :)

I've got plenty of videos filmed and they'll come out every Thursday. More to come on rare and special pressings. 

Going forward, I really want to see some interaction on the YouTube page. I want to make videos based on what everyone might want to see. 

Was this album repressed on vinyl in 2018, or just the new songs?

Anyone ordered any vinyls from Buckethead? Most I've ordered have been fine, but Sparks in the Dark and Poseidon, which were both delivered around 3 weeks ago, sound TERRIBLE, unlistenable. Basically constant static crackling sound, can only be a pressing error as all others sound fine. I've written to Bucket's sales email but no joy, although his customer service has never been the best. Not sure what to do. Those vinyls plus postage cost me a small fortune.

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Anyone ordered any vinyls from Buckethead? Most I've ordered have been fine, but Sparks in the Dark and Poseidon, which were both delivered around 3 weeks ago, sound TERRIBLE, unlistenable. Basically constant static crackling sound, can only be a pressing error as all others sound fine. I've written to Bucket's sales email but no joy, although his customer service has never been the best. Not sure what to do. Those vinyls plus postage cost me a small fortune.

That's a really bummer man, sorry that happened. I've never ordered any Bucket vinyl and the only people I know who have, ordered them just to collect, not play. 

My only advice is to stay on the company who's handling his merch until you get a refund or a suitable replacement. 

Picked up some new vinyls this week:

- Barboletta by Santana

- Edgar Winter's White Trash

Both second hand off Discogs. The Santana copy is pretty ropey to say the least. Shame as it is a good album.

Also ordered a load of Pink Floyd albums (all 2016 remasters):

- Meddle

- Obscured by Clouds

- A Momentary Lapse of Reason

- Animals 

Been on a PF binge ever since picking up the live boxset. Will probably ultimately end up getting the lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Picked up some new vinyls this week:

- Barboletta by Santana

- Edgar Winter's White Trash

Both second hand off Discogs. The Santana copy is pretty ropey to say the least. Shame as it is a good album.

Also ordered a load of Pink Floyd albums (all 2016 remasters):

- Meddle

- Obscured by Clouds

- A Momentary Lapse of Reason

- Animals 

Been on a PF binge ever since picking up the live boxset. Will probably ultimately end up getting the lot.

That run of Floyd remaster are really good. 

49 minutes ago, Dean said:

One Man Mutiny arrived yesterday so I'm just getting round to spinning it now. Fucking love this record, particularly Come To Hide.

I've got an autographed copy of that.i need to spin it again soon, fantastic album! 

For everyone else, new rare vinyl video is up :)

• GNFNR 1

29 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've got an autographed copy of that.i need to spin it again soon, fantastic album! 

Very nice. I hope with whatever Tommy does next that he get's Village Gorilla Head issued on vinyl to coincide with the release of something new, like he done with Friday Night is Killing Me and Anything Can Happen.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Watched it - live! Think I was second person to view it 🙂 very good.

Just one comment to help, and I'll prefix this by saying I know nothing about how youtube works, but would it be better to put "Prince" in the title? For searches etc?

On a side note - Meddle and Obscured arrived by post today. Love the attention to detail on the packaging - Obscured has rounded corners. Sounds great as well.

59 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Watched it - live! Think I was second person to view it 🙂 very good.

Just one comment to help, and I'll prefix this by saying I know nothing about how youtube works, but would it be better to put "Prince" in the title? For searches etc?

On a side note - Meddle and Obscured arrived by post today. Love the attention to detail on the packaging - Obscured has rounded corners. Sounds great as well.

First of all, thank you for watching :)I appreciate any and all tips, comments and suggestions! 

Having said that, this one is a little odd because Prince wasn't using the name "Prince" during this era. He was very strict about using the symbol as his name or being called "The Artist". 

That puts me in a weird spot because I don't want to piss off any Prince die hards who may find the video. As dumb as that may sound, I know how I get when I see "Axel" or "Guns & Roses", so I kinda get it haha. 

However, you can add hashtags to the video description as well as in a hidden box when you upload the video. I made sure to hashtag  "Prince", "thelovesymbol" and "theartist" hidden ones. Supposedly that helps when people are searching for videos. 

Either way, like I said: I greatly appreciate you watching and please don't ever hesitate to let me know if you have any suggestions or anything. 

We have about 4 more videos in the tank right now that we already shot. Skid Row, GNR, Elvis and Van Halen are all coming up. Then we're getting together soon to shoot another round of videos to keep sharing after those :)

Edited by RussTCB

42 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

First of all, thank you for watching :)I appreciate any and all tips, comments and suggestions! 

Having said that, this one is a little odd because Prince wasn't using the name "Prince" during this era. He was very strict about using the symbol as his name or being called "The Artist". 

That puts me in a weird spot because I don't want to piss off any Prince die hards who may find the video. As dumb as that may sound, I know how I get when I see "Axel" or "Guns & Roses", so I kinda get it haha. 

However, you can add hashtags to the video description as well as in a hidden box when you upload the video. I made sure to hashtag  "Prince", "thelovesymbol" and "theartist" hidden ones. Supposedly that helps when people are searching for videos. 

Either way, like I said: I greatly appreciate you watching and please don't ever hesitate to let me know if you have any suggestions or anything. 

We have about 4 more videos in the tank right now that we already shot. Skid Row, GNR, Elvis and Van Halen are all coming up. Then we're getting together soon to shoot another round of videos to keep sharing after those :)

No worries and glad to help.

I should have also prefixed my comment by also clarifying that I equally no pretty much nothing about Prince! I did have one album on CD, the one a UK newspaper distributed for free, but I sold it I think a few years back to help fund my house purchase at the time.

Keep 'em coming!