Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

On 1/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, ToonGuns said:

I love Tyr. Love the mix (drums are a bit loud, but I'm a drummer...!), the sound is lovely and polished, and the opening track is a killer!

I don't think Forbidden ever got a vinyl release did it?

Roll on the remix of Forbidden...!

On 1/6/2021 at 12:27 AM, The Dissident said:

Forbidden did at one point I believe get a vinyl release.

According to Discogs the only official vinyl release of Forbidden was released in Brazil in 1995. Goes for stupid money, the median price is $195. It's not as bad an album as everyone makes it out to be, but I'm not about to drop that kind of money on it :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I got that The Wall clear vinyl RSD release as well. Initially didn't like it but it has grown on me. Not a patch on Floyd, and could do without Cindy Lauper, but overall a 3.5/5. Sound quality is excellent. 

I like Cyndi overall but she's one of the low points on there for sure. 

Godammit I just can't stop......I went ahead and bought the marbled red and white edition of the AKIRA soundtrack anyway....even though I already have the regular black vinyl version.......

I blame ALL of you...YOU did this!   You've turned me into a monster!!

BUT....if you're like me and have any love at all for the film AKIRA, buy the Milan reissue of the OST.....no matter the color of the vinyl the packaging is absolutely GORGEOUS.   Amazing illustrations on front and back cover, beautiful double spread gatefold inner illustration, and both disc sleeves have lovely full color art.   Wonderful package....and I haven't even listened to it yet!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

Godammit I just can't stop......I went ahead and bought the marbled red and white edition of the AKIRA soundtrack anyway....even though I already have the regular black vinyl version.......

I blame ALL of you...YOU did this!   You've turned me into a monster!!

BUT....if you're like me and have any love at all for the film AKIRA, buy the Milan reissue of the OST.....no matter the color of the vinyl the packaging is absolutely GORGEOUS.   Amazing illustrations on front and back cover, beautiful double spread gatefold inner illustration, and both disc sleeves have lovely full color art.   Wonderful package....and I haven't even listened to it yet!

Milan is a great label. I think they’re owned by Sony now but they still put out great release.

It’s awesome when they release shows you were at. The live in Nashville one that came out a couple years ago was it for me. I’m even in one of the 8x10s that came with it.

As for this one, I’m passing as of now because without the connection of being there, it’s pretty similar to the bonnaroo vault which is amazing. Who knows? Maybe I’ll change my mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

It’s awesome when they release shows you were at. The live in Nashville one that came out a couple years ago was it for me. I’m even in one of the 8x10s that came with it.

As for this one, I’m passing as of now because without the connection of being there, it’s pretty similar to the bonnaroo vault which is amazing. Who knows? Maybe I’ll change my mind.

I hear ya on the setlist being similar. The show was really, really good in person. I'm curious if the electricity that was in the room will translate to the recording. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:44 PM, RussTCB said:

New YouTube video is up :)

I just finished this record. Phenomenal show, I may pick up the Aloha boxset in the next week or two, I'd love to have that on vinyl. I'm now making my way through Bang Bang, You're Terry Reid. That also arrived today! I don't want to tempt fate, but should all go swimmingly, I may have picked up one of my most sought after records. Just need confirmation that the seller has shipped it and I'll have peace of mind. I sent an email asking about the general condition, but after a bit of digging, I don't think he speaks English. "All in good faith..."

• Like 1

Also, let's not forget that Perry Como done the definitive version of For the Good Times! Ha! Good ol' Perry. I'll give him a play tomorrow, I'm meant to be off the beverages, but may enjoy a few tomorrow. Have a great weekend folks. 

16 minutes ago, Dean said:

I just finished this record. Phenomenal show, I may pick up the Aloha boxset in the next week or two, I'd love to have that on vinyl. I'm now making my way through Bang Bang, You're Terry Reid. That also arrived today! I don't want to tempt fate, but should all go swimmingly, I may have picked up one of my most sought after records. Just need confirmation that the seller has shipped it and I'll have peace of mind. I sent an email asking about the general condition, but after a bit of digging, I don't think he speaks English. "All in good faith..."

Isn't that Elvis MSG show just fantastic?? I wanted to throw this video in because this pressing is SOOOOO good and not only is it still available, but it's super affordable. It costs like $25 for the double LP set, which you can't beat. 

I hope everything goes smooth with your latest purchase! I've had that happen more than a few times where I'm crossing my fingers until it's on the turntable lol. 

Starting next week, I'll be uploading audio from some of our more popular interviews on Mondays and there will still be a new vinyl video every Thursday. 

The vinyl video for next week will be about an original pressing of Slave To The Grind compared to the latest RSD issue of it. 

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Isn't that Elvis MSG show just fantastic?? I wanted to throw this video in because this pressing is SOOOOO good and not only is it still available, but it's super affordable. It costs like $25 for the double LP set, which you can't beat. 

I hope everything goes smooth with your latest purchase! I've had that happen more than a few times where I'm crossing my fingers until it's on the turntable lol. 

Starting next week, I'll be uploading audio from some of our more popular interviews on Mondays and there will still be a new vinyl video every Thursday. 

The vinyl video for next week will be about an original pressing of Slave To The Grind compared to the latest RSD issue of it. 

Truly phenomenal. As you say in the video, Elvis still had some great moments throughout the 70's and in a live setting, there wasn't many who could top him. I was surprised at the price if I'm honest, normally I anticipate the worst in terms of price with the great records you have, but I was more than happy to part with such a small fee for a great sounding record.

Ha, I appreciate it my friend. I'll be sure to tell everyone in here about it if and when it does arrive!!

The channel is coming along nicely, I can't remember when I seen it, but the interview premiere with Taj Jackson popped up, so I'm really looking forward to tuning into that - I'm sure that must have been a huge buzz for you to do that! On the topic of his uncle, HIStory has been a regular on my playlist on the go since your upload, I may pull the trigger on that boxset if I can get it for a decent enough price. Money is my go to. 

Edited by Dean
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

Truly phenomenal. As you say in the video, Elvis still had some great moments throughout the 70's and in a live setting, there wasn't many who could top him. I was surprised at the price if I'm honest, normally I anticipate the worst in terms of price with the great records you have, but I was more than happy to part with such a small fee for a great sounding record.

Ha, I appreciate it my friend. I'll be sure to tell everyone in here about it if and when it does arrive!!

The channel is coming along nicely, I can't remember when I seen it, but the interview premiere with Taj Jackson popped up, so I'm really looking forward to tuning into that - I'm sure that must have been a huge buzz for you to do that! On the topic of his uncle, HIStory has been a regular on my playlist on the go since your upload, I may pull the trigger on that boxset if I can get it for a decent enough price. Money is my go to. 

Right the fuck on. Thanks so much for the support and kind words man. I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying the videos and the music I've been talking about! And man......Money is such a jam by MJ. Talk about an underrated jam, that song is the definition of it. 

• GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right the fuck on. Thanks so much for the support and kind words man. I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying the videos and the music I've been talking about! And man......Money is such a jam by MJ. Talk about an underrated jam, that song is the definition of it. 

It's honestly my pleasure, it's very easy to support when the content is top tier! You all have done a great job and it will only continue to grow and grow and I'll be looking forward to seeing it happen!

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, ToonGuns said:

Anyone ordered any vinyls from Buckethead? Most I've ordered have been fine, but Sparks in the Dark and Poseidon, which were both delivered around 3 weeks ago, sound TERRIBLE, unlistenable. Basically constant static crackling sound, can only be a pressing error as all others sound fine. I've written to Bucket's sales email but no joy, although his customer service has never been the best. Not sure what to do. Those vinyls plus postage cost me a small fortune.

Just as an update on this, I cleaned Poseiden a few times and although not perfect it is just about acceptable. Sparks in the Dark was still appalling after cleaning so after sending 3 emails to the Pikes email address (even offering to cover the postage myself) finally, after 5 weeks, I got a response this week and they are sending me a replacement free of charge. So they may be (very!) slow, but they came good in the end. I'm really chuffed.

• GNFNR 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:05 AM, RussTCB said:

Third Man Vault 47 has been announced and I couldn't be happier. I was at this show and it was fucking amazing. 

https://vault.thirdmanstore.com/news/introducing-vault-package-47-jack-white-live-at-the-masonic-temple

I've got a few vinyls on my hit list from gigs I was at: Slash + Myles Kennedy live (the relatively new LTD one from 2019) and Flying Colors - Third Stage Live. For some reason I feel obliged to buy if I was there!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:41 PM, ToonGuns said:

I've got a few vinyls on my hit list from gigs I was at: Slash + Myles Kennedy live (the relatively new LTD one from 2019) and Flying Colors - Third Stage Live. For some reason I feel obliged to buy if I was there!

The one at the roxy?

i was there too and also have the album,  it is almost unlistenable though. Myles is so bad.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, The Dissident said:

I have acquired the Queen coloured Vinyl box set, playing the first album now, the sound is pretty good, and the packaging is amazing. 

That's been on my list of "things I almost buy, but don't" for a few years. I have Hits I & II, along with Live At Wembley and Live Magic, so I think I'm just gonna pass on it ultimately. I've heard great things about it though. 

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

That's been on my list of "things I almost buy, but don't" for a few years. I have Hits I & II, along with Live At Wembley and Live Magic, so I think I'm just gonna pass on it ultimately. I've heard great things about it though. 

I've been toying with it for about a year, and decided to hit purchase over the weekend. The box the records comes in is really well done, and the book upon a quick glance is very detailed. I respect the choice but they have so much that wouldn't make it onto the Hits albums and their early deep cuts are amazing. 

• Like 1

Phenomenal packaging on the Queen box set and I’m a big mark for coloured vinyl, so I had that pre-ordered back in 2015. I still predominately play my original pressings, but do put on one or two whenever I feel it. 

I had Live Killers on earlier, growing up I couldn’t appreciate that for what it is, as I was predominantly 80’s Queen. It’s a great record and showcases them in the midst of becoming one of the worlds top live acts. Live Magic was lazily put together and is horrendous all in, the only saving grace is Soundboard audio from Knebworth. 

Wembley has the definitive mix for me out of all their live releases (GOAT Under Pressure), though many will disagree. Freddie was in his vocal pomp from ‘79-‘82, so the Live at the Bowl and Montreal releases are also phenomenal.

• GNFNR 1

30 minutes ago, Dean said:

I’m a big mark for coloured vinyl, so I had that pre-ordered back in 2015.

I used to really love coloured vinyl, but recently I had a movie soundtrack from Waxworks records which was just terrible, pops and skips all over the place, but due to the swirl effect you can't spot the issues on the surface. One of the benefits of black is it is much easier to check the quality. 

For this reason I literally just ordered (last week) Bucketheadland 2 on vinyl. There was the choice of black, or blue and pink (it's a double vinyl) for $10 more. Both limited to 500 copies globally. I went with the black.

Now you're making me regret it!

• Haha 1