Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

4 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I've been continuing my Pink Floyd binge recently. Just ordered (today) Pulse, Ummagumma, and the Later Years highlights vinyl. Reckon I'll now need to complete the collection.

Might then move on to Queen... ;)

It's endless.

It really is endless, just when I think I'm going to be content with finishing one bands discography I get hooked on another couple and the cycle begins again. 

5 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I've been continuing my Pink Floyd binge recently. Just ordered (today) Pulse, Ummagumma, and the Later Years highlights vinyl. Reckon I'll now need to complete the collection.

Might then move on to Queen... ;)

It's endless.

I absolutely love me some Floyd. I've got pretty much everything I can get my hands on by them on vinyl. 

9 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I used to really love coloured vinyl, but recently I had a movie soundtrack from Waxworks records which was just terrible, pops and skips all over the place, but due to the swirl effect you can't spot the issues on the surface. One of the benefits of black is it is much easier to check the quality. 

For this reason I literally just ordered (last week) Bucketheadland 2 on vinyl. There was the choice of black, or blue and pink (it's a double vinyl) for $10 more. Both limited to 500 copies globally. I went with the black.

Now you're making me regret it!

That is enough to put you off though and there's nothing wrong with just getting a standard pressing, so long as it plays well, that's the main thing! I don't own any Bucket vinyl, so may look into that if it's easy enough to purchase, though that said, I've been buying far too many records recently so will need to have a few weeks rest I think while everything gets delivered to me :lol:

23 minutes ago, Dean said:

That is enough to put you off though and there's nothing wrong with just getting a standard pressing, so long as it plays well, that's the main thing! I don't own any Bucket vinyl, so may look into that if it's easy enough to purchase, though that said, I've been buying far too many records recently so will need to have a few weeks rest I think while everything gets delivered to me :lol:

Yeah, spent a fortune recently. My wife is bound to say something soon, I'm on borrowed time!

Bucketheadland 2 is on double vinyl from Ion Records. Google their bandcamp page and you can find it there. $29.99 limited to 500 copies globally. It's one of his best albums (in my opinion).

• Thanks 1

I purchased one of my highly sought after records last Saturday. I had cold feet instantly for some reason, and the gentlemen messaged me saying he needed a few days to post it. It still hasn't been done, or at least he hasn't notified me that it's been posted. I now have the fear as if he has a change of heart, I'm fucked and will have to wait another long time to get it for a decent price. Such is life.

On the plus side, I picked up a 7" picture disc of Scoobie's Magnificent 7. It's the worst thing you'll ever hear in your life, but it has Henrik Larsson on it which makes it the greatest thing visually. 

Delighted to say I pulled the trigger on the Dutch pressing of HIStory Continues. I don't think it's a boxset though, it's a Gatefold that is remastered (still came out in 1995 though) and has the 4 LP's in it, so I'm looking forward to finally being able to play that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I always seem to find myself looking up these records :lol: Great record, I've never really dug deeper into why Baz left them, but he always spoke with such passion about the early days of the band - he was an avid collector of memorabilia too, he more or less had everything they had ever done in terms of multiple releases, special editions on various formats, merch etc etc but lost it all when his house went on fire several years ago. Heart breaking. 

16 minutes ago, Dean said:

I always seem to find myself looking up these records :lol: Great record, I've never really dug deeper into why Baz left them, but he always spoke with such passion about the early days of the band - he was an avid collector of memorabilia too, he more or less had everything they had ever done in terms of multiple releases, special editions on various formats, merch etc etc but lost it all when his house went on fire several years ago. Heart breaking. 

I'll try not to ramble, but here's what I think is the story on their split:

Baz wasn't even supposed to be their singer on the first album. The album was done but their singer got in some sort of legal trouble and had to leave the band. The record label found Bach from a Canadian band called Madame X and just sort of put him into Skids.

So he was never really part of the band to begin with but they had enormous success out of the gate, so everyone went with it. From what I understand, he always wanted more to do with writing and direction of the band but their attitude was always like "we did all of this without you, so we don't need your help with writing and direction". 

Those things, coupled with the downfall of all bands perceived as "hair metal" pretty much all balled up together to cause his exit. That's a very short version of the whole story, but I believe that's it in a nutshell. At this point, there's zero reason why they all shouldn't put their egos aside and get back together. 

All of that aside, I need you to tell me more about this Dutch pressing of HIStory that you found! I don't think I've ever heard about it, so I'd love to hear more. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Baz wasn't even supposed to be their singer on the first album. The album was done but their singer got in some sort of legal trouble and had to leave the band. The record label found Bach from a Canadian band called Madame X and just sort of put him into Skids.

So he was never really part of the band to begin with but they had enormous success out of the gate, so everyone went with it. From what I understand, he always wanted more to do with writing and direction of the band but their attitude was always like "we did all of this without you, so we don't need your help with writing and direction". 

Those things, coupled with the downfall of all bands perceived as "hair metal" pretty much all balled up together to cause his exit. That's a very short version of the whole story, but I believe that's it in a nutshell. At this point, there's zero reason why they all shouldn't put their egos aside and get back together. 

All of that aside, I need you to tell me more about this Dutch pressing of HIStory that you found! I don't think I've ever heard about it, so I'd love to hear more. 

Thanks for that! I'll dig into their history over the next few days, as that has sparked my interest. 

Ha, it's en route currently, but when it arrives, I'll take pictures to show you what it looks like as the images on Discogs don't really show that much! I don't think it comes with the booklet either, but owning the latter half of that record alone is immensely pleasing - plus, I only own Thriller, so owning the past hits is an added bonus!

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-HIStory-Past-Present-And-Future-Book-I/release/1413283

Edit: If I had paid attention to the big sticker on the front cover, it does actually come with the booklet, ha!

Edited by Dean

47 minutes ago, Dean said:

Thanks for that! I'll dig into their history over the next few days, as that has sparked my interest. 

Ha, it's en route currently, but when it arrives, I'll take pictures to show you what it looks like as the images on Discogs don't really show that much! I don't think it comes with the booklet either, but owning the latter half of that record alone is immensely pleasing - plus, I only own Thriller, so owning the past hits is an added bonus!

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-HIStory-Past-Present-And-Future-Book-I/release/1413283

Edit: If I had paid attention to the big sticker on the front cover, it does actually come with the booklet, ha!

Wow, that's really cool. I had no idea that there was ever a gatefold version of this! Seems like it's exactly the same set but in a gatefold instead of the box. Personally, I couldn't care less about the box. I wonder if they might reissue it in the gatefold like this. There was a reissue of sorts a couple of years ago but they were picture disc's. I mega loathe picture discs, so I wasn't happy about it lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wow, that's really cool. I had no idea that there was ever a gatefold version of this! Seems like it's exactly the same set but in a gatefold instead of the box. Personally, I couldn't care less about the box. I wonder if they might reissue it in the gatefold like this. There was a reissue of sorts a couple of years ago but they were picture disc's. I mega loathe picture discs, so I wasn't happy about it lol

I think the box looks smart as fuck, but hopefully it means I can get it into a regular sleeve with it being a gatefold! Yeah, I remember you talking about the picture disc, but I stayed clear as I'm sure you had heard bad reviews of the sound quality etc, plus, the boxset/gatefold is much more pleasant on the eye anyway! I like having the artwork to enjoy while I listen to records, you don't really get that with the picture discs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

He's also an incredible pain in the ass to work with. I mean just look at all the articles that come up on blabbermouth with him picking fights with people on twitter. He's a fucking child.

They were trying to reunite a few years ago and couldn't get past a group text because Baz is so fucking immature. I love his singing but social media over the last 5 years or so has made it very clear why those guys don't want to be in a band with him.

There were also some huge band tensions when they got offered a gig to open for the KISS reunion tour and Baz wanted to do it and the band didn't...which is funny because they ended up opening up for them on a later leg without Baz.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

He's also an incredible pain in the ass to work with. I mean just look at all the articles that come up on blabbermouth with him picking fights with people on twitter. He's a fucking child.

They were trying to reunite a few years ago and couldn't get past a group text because Baz is so fucking immature. I love his singing but social media over the last 5 years or so has made it very clear why those guys don't want to be in a band with him.

There were also some huge band tensions when they got offered a gig to open for the KISS reunion tour and Baz wanted to do it and the band didn't...which is funny because they ended up opening up for them on a later leg without Baz.

Oh I agree that Baz is a child, both before and after social media haha. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh I agree that Baz is a child, both before and after social media haha. 

yeah he certainly always has been, I just feel for me personally, I used to be on the side of those guys are dumb touring without Baz and in the last few years especially, I'm like man when they say it's not worth it, I can see what they mean. It's hard to be a fan of the guy these days. I can only imagine trying to work with him.

both sides are a shadow of what they were without the other though. I think Sanke put it best in an old interview..I think from the early 2000's or so when he said :

"Sebastian can't write 18 and Life and I can't sing it"

• Like 1

That PULSE Punk Floyd vinyl arrived yesterday... goddam scratched right through side 2 of record 4. I can only think it is the cardboard packaging (why they use cardboard for the inner sleeves I'll never know). 

Aside from that it is a great sounding record, I think better than Delicate Sound.

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

That PULSE Punk Floyd vinyl arrived yesterday... goddam scratched right through side 2 of record 4. I can only think it is the cardboard packaging (why they use cardboard for the inner sleeves I'll never know). 

Aside from that it is a great sounding record, I think better than Delicate Sound.

Yeah, cardboard and paper inner sleeves do way more damage than good :( hopefully you can get an exchange easily.

For the record, I do believe Pulse sounds superior to Delicate Sound. 

£17.99 this gatefold retailed for in 1995 - the HMV sticker is still on the front, I was nearly sick all over myself :lol: Got it spinning just now, will take snaps afterwards. The cover has seen better days, but considering how much it sells for, £125 is alright in my eyes.

• Like 1

I finished it this morning. It was listed as VG+ on both media and cover, but there’s a fairly sizeable hairline scratch on the first record and they all seem to skip quite a bit during the first two or three songs on each side. I may not get it for that price again, so I’m going to see if the cleaning kit I have coming makes any difference!

D4854077-D43D-4D5E-B503-B990484D7249.jpeg.aee2ce36e2382ab70267f8a95feabc64.jpegD98B4446-13EE-4245-A7AC-F8897F2ECDC3.jpeg.a94f7dbedbd88f7fbf05fbfec2b654a2.jpeg7834C541-7A26-44DD-8E90-626C4000F617.jpeg.cede92e1f6fa1c103c0eb20c9bf06ffc.jpegAF866C54-9733-4B08-BC09-35CF47EB4FE0.jpeg.28a463d1abded78df37b9098123aeafa.jpeg2290B4BD-8649-4BA7-8E09-2EF7B4B4A211.jpeg.bb0ce216679d5aeac22a1414c187d14f.jpeg40975D44-09AF-49E6-A131-67E2F7A61FC9.jpeg.ac4f909608ec1c13a3c446ad46e31109.jpeg254CC487-FF2E-47DB-AC4A-D15FE50A24E6.jpeg.7c3dab1cc7f08bd05905aec90095f41c.jpegAA7BCB54-F532-49D6-84EC-87BAD45AF08F.jpeg.4ba85ae0a07abac7b98aa3c9b21c2ad2.jpeg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I finished it this morning. It was listed as VG+ on both media and cover, but there’s a fairly sizeable hairline scratch on the first record and they all seem to skip quite a bit during the first two or three songs on each side. I may not get it for that price again, so I’m going to see if the cleaning kit I have coming makes any difference!

D4854077-D43D-4D5E-B503-B990484D7249.jpeg.aee2ce36e2382ab70267f8a95feabc64.jpegD98B4446-13EE-4245-A7AC-F8897F2ECDC3.jpeg.a94f7dbedbd88f7fbf05fbfec2b654a2.jpeg7834C541-7A26-44DD-8E90-626C4000F617.jpeg.cede92e1f6fa1c103c0eb20c9bf06ffc.jpegAF866C54-9733-4B08-BC09-35CF47EB4FE0.jpeg.28a463d1abded78df37b9098123aeafa.jpeg2290B4BD-8649-4BA7-8E09-2EF7B4B4A211.jpeg.bb0ce216679d5aeac22a1414c187d14f.jpeg40975D44-09AF-49E6-A131-67E2F7A61FC9.jpeg.ac4f909608ec1c13a3c446ad46e31109.jpeg254CC487-FF2E-47DB-AC4A-D15FE50A24E6.jpeg.7c3dab1cc7f08bd05905aec90095f41c.jpegAA7BCB54-F532-49D6-84EC-87BAD45AF08F.jpeg.4ba85ae0a07abac7b98aa3c9b21c2ad2.jpeg

Thanks for posting the pics. In all my time collecting vinyl and being an MJ fan, I never had ANY clue that a gatefold version of this existed. Very cool to see. 

Having said that, I'm REALLY bummed for you that songs skip on every side. I hope you have some success with cleaning it. Please keep me updated. I'm really hoping you can get it to play through well. 

If you can't, don't be afraid to speak up for yourself with the seller. I've always had good luck in getting sellers to give me a partial refund if/when there's problems with records I've bought. 

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Thanks for posting the pics. In all my time collecting vinyl and being an MJ fan, I never had ANY clue that a gatefold version of this existed. Very cool to see. 

Having said that, I'm REALLY bummed for you that songs skip on every side. I hope you have some success with cleaning it. Please keep me updated. I'm really hoping you can get it to play through well. 

If you can't, don't be afraid to speak up for yourself with the seller. I've always had good luck in getting sellers to give me a partial refund if/when there's problems with records I've bought. 

I sent him a message just explaining the issues, but I had a nosey before hand at his rating and the way he responds to these folks is very cut throat, so didn't want to risk negative feedback. I said I'll see how they fair after a clean and wished him the best. Here are a few examples:

image.png.19e0ec419bb467be66d262d9a352c8dd.png

image.png.459b9db1663c42a325e42a28da99fe4c.png

Seems a partial refund isn't likely! Fingers crossed all will be grand

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I sent him a message just explaining the issues, but I had a nosey before hand at his rating and the way he responds to these folks is very cut throat, so didn't want to risk negative feedback. I said I'll see how they fair after a clean and wished him the best. Here are a few examples:

image.png.19e0ec419bb467be66d262d9a352c8dd.png

image.png.459b9db1663c42a325e42a28da99fe4c.png

Seems a partial refund isn't likely! Fingers crossed all will be grand

Good luck man, I hope it turns out OK. I've only ever had one truly bad interaction on Discogs. The guy didn't give me negative feedback, but we had some nasty interactions. I bought a copy of Cinderella - Heartbreak Station from him. It took forever to be delivered then when it arrived, it was in awful shape. He graded it as VG but it looked like it had been ice skated on. It didn't skip somehow, but it had a TON of pops of clicks to the point where it was almost unlistenable. 

He ended up issuing a refund and left me neutral feedback saying I expected way too much lol. I ended up finding a decent copy for the same price and I just shelved the other one. 

Here's hoping things go OK for you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Good luck man, I hope it turns out OK. I've only ever had one truly bad interaction on Discogs. The guy didn't give me negative feedback, but we had some nasty interactions. I bought a copy of Cinderella - Heartbreak Station from him. It took forever to be delivered then when it arrived, it was in awful shape. He graded it as VG but it looked like it had been ice skated on. It didn't skip somehow, but it had a TON of pops of clicks to the point where it was almost unlistenable. 

He ended up issuing a refund and left me neutral feedback saying I expected way too much lol. I ended up finding a decent copy for the same price and I just shelved the other one. 

Here's hoping things go OK for you. 

That is horrendous, but at least you stood your ground and got reimbursed for your troubles!

I've taken more time with an anti static cloth I have and given the first side another spin again. If it somehow reduces it a fair amount throughout all 3 LP's, I'll just keep hold of it and see how it goes with this spin clean device when it arrives. Regardless of this slight bump in the road, it's still some buzz owning it. Some of the stuff on the Hits side, I haven't heard in many years!

I've also been meaning to ask you your thoughts on Invincible, and if you knew if Jackson planned on releasing another record at any point before his untimely passing?

Edited by Dean

Sellers on Discogs shouldn't be able to leave negative feedback if a buyer has a genuine issue and complains about it and then can get threatened or penalised for complaining, that's a broken system.

That said I tend to find people always over score the quality.

A lot of the problem is some sellers have so many records they cannot possibly accurately listen or grade, they just take a fly at it.

I ordered a Santana record around 2 months ago, was described as VG+ and was full of scratchy sounds. Thankfully the seller gave me a full refund.

Edited by ToonGuns

1 hour ago, Dean said:

That is horrendous, but at least you stood your ground and got reimbursed for your troubles!

I've taken more time with an anti static cloth I have and given the first side another spin again. If it somehow reduces it a fair amount throughout all 3 LP's, I'll just keep hold of it and see how it goes with this spin clean device when it arrives. Regardless of this slight bump in the road, it's still some buzz owning it. Some of the stuff on the Hits side, I haven't heard in many years!

I've also been meaning to ask you your thoughts on Invincible, and if you knew if Jackson planned on releasing another record at any point before his untimely passing?

Perosnalljy, I really like Invincible. It's got two of my favorite ballads of his: Speechless and Butterflies. The pop / rock cuts are great too. The album is very divisive among MJ fans, but I dig it. 

I do know he recorded more after that, but I don't think he had any specific plans for releasing anything. 

• Like 1