Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I know the feeling man. The whole "fear of missing out" thing is very real some times buying records. I really calmed down with buying through a lot of last year. One thing I noticed was that I started really listening to a lot of stuff I hadn't listened to in a long time. It was a really good thing to do. 

I've bought more in the past 2 months than I did all of last year, but I need to calm down again soon and enjoy what I have lol. I don't think there's anything coming out soon that I'm dying to own, so I hope that'll help! 

I lasted all but 24 hours haha. An item I had in my wantlist became available, it's only been listed once before so I had to buy it, and then, like a man possessed, proceeded to pull the trigger on things I had been watching on eBay too. So, I won't be buying anything else until the 2nd of March haha, what a carry on, but I'm delighted I've gotten everything.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

New video! We compared an original pressing of Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder to the recently released 3 LP remix / remaster. 

Any new subscribers, views, likes and comments very much appreciated :)

This has probably been my favourite video of yours so far. I don't know if I missed it or not, but if you want to listen to that record, do you spin the reissue or the original? I totally get where you're coming from about being a completionist too, especially with Floyd being one of your favourite bands, so it must have been a great feeling finally getting your hands on the original pressing!

7 minutes ago, Dean said:

This has probably been my favourite video of yours so far. I don't know if I missed it or not, but if you want to listen to that record, do you spin the reissue or the original? I totally get where you're coming from about being a completionist too, especially with Floyd being one of your favourite bands, so it must have been a great feeling finally getting your hands on the original pressing!

Thanks! 

Honestly, I'll always listen to the original first. I just know it so well that the remix changes stand out too much on the reissue for me to enjoy it. 

I didn't mention this in the video but I actually have two original pressings. It took me forever to find a good copy at a decent price. Then like 2 days later I found another one in a store in as good of shape for half the price I paid for the first one! Lol. So I grabbed the second one too just in case something ever happens to my first one and it was so hard to come across. 

And yeah, the completionist thing is a blessing and a curse haha

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

New video! We compared an original pressing of Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder to the recently released 3 LP remix / remaster. 

Any new subscribers, views, likes and comments very much appreciated :)

Great video!

Russ I think I'm now £500 down because of you! Bought Dark Side, then bought the reissue of Delicate Sound after reading about it on here a month or so ago, then worked my way through the catalogue, then bought the PULSE boxset, and I've been bought the David Gilmour Live in Gdansk boxset now (arrived yesterday- sounds great). Really chuffed to own then all though. I've gone for the "Pink Floyd Records" 2018ish release versions each time. The quality seems very good.

The only ones I'm missing I think are the first two albums, Relics, The Final Cut, Endless River and the original Delicate Sound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dean said:

52 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Great video!

Russ I think I'm now £500 down because of you! Bought Dark Side, then bought the reissue of Delicate Sound after reading about it on here a month or so ago, then worked my way through the catalogue, then bought the PULSE boxset, and I've been bought the David Gilmour Live in Gdansk boxset now (arrived yesterday- sounds great). Really chuffed to own then all though. I've gone for the "Pink Floyd Records" 2018ish release versions each time. The quality seems very good.

The only ones I'm missing I think are the first two albums, Relics, The Final Cut, Endless River and the original Delicate Sound.

I have a buddy of mine who lives a couple of hours away and he's in the same boat. He keeps buying stuff after watching my videos haha. 

I do like the latest run of Floyd reissues. They did little things I like such as releasing the correct / rounded edge cover for Obscured By Clouds and so on. The Wall doesn't sound as good as I wanted it to, at least to me, but I've heard other people rave about it so it must be my ears. 

Side note (I quoted Dean again too for this) I really, REALLY appreciate you guys watching and the feedback. Could I ask one favor? Could you make sure to like the videos on YouTube and maybe copy & paste these comments to the videos? 

That may seem like a lot to ask and I kinda feel like an a-hole asking it, but in my short time on YouTube, I've come to find out that literally every single like and comment goes a long way to spread awareness of the videos. 

(I didn't even like typing that, so again, my apologies) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have a buddy of mine who lives a couple of hours away and he's in the same boat. He keeps buying stuff after watching my videos haha. 

I do like the latest run of Floyd reissues. They did little things I like such as releasing the correct / rounded edge cover for Obscured By Clouds and so on. The Wall doesn't sound as good as I wanted it to, at least to me, but I've heard other people rave about it so it must be my ears. 

Side note (I quoted Dean again too for this) I really, REALLY appreciate you guys watching and the feedback. Could I ask one favor? Could you make sure to like the videos on YouTube and maybe copy & paste these comments to the videos? 

That may seem like a lot to ask and I kinda feel like an a-hole asking it, but in my short time on YouTube, I've come to find out that literally every single like and comment goes a long way to spread awareness of the videos. 

(I didn't even like typing that, so again, my apologies) 

Of course, I keep on losing track on what day it is :lol:, as usually I'd watch the videos on YouTube not long after they premier so would be able to post some comments there. I'll get into the habit of doing it again!

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

Of course, I keep on losing track on what day it is :lol:, as usually I'd watch the videos on YouTube not long after they premier so would be able to post some comments there. I'll get into the habit of doing it again!

Thanks man. I very much appreciate you watching and I really do hate even asking.

One of my favourite bands released a single today and announced their next album, so I pre-ordered the black/white splatter vinyl. I usually just go for the standard black vinyl, but since that wasn't an option I spent the extra couple bucks on the cooler looking variant. Been listening to this track all morning and now I'm disappointed that I have to wait 3 months to hear the full album :lol:

The single is pretty good though, if anyone's interested:

• Like 1

I love how lively this section has become in recent times.

I haven't been buying as much lately, mostly because Amoeba has been closed for about a year now so the smaller shops around don't have such a huge rotation of records so there is no need to go as often.

I really miss traveling to other states and countries and checking out all the local shops wherever I may be. Hopefully I can get back to that by the end of the year or so.

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

I love how lively this section has become in recent times.

I haven't been buying as much lately, mostly because Amoeba has been closed for about a year now so the smaller shops around don't have such a huge rotation of records so there is no need to go as often.

I really miss traveling to other states and countries and checking out all the local shops wherever I may be. Hopefully I can get back to that by the end of the year or so.

I'm excited by how much posting is going on in the thread too! There were whole years there where the thread was basically you and I telling each other what we bought lol. 

That's gotta be a bummer with Amoeba gone. I am very thankful to still have my main local store still going strong. There's a couple of stores I want to get to down in Ohio, but I never actually follow through. 

Once this whole pandemic BS is over, I'd love fot you to make it out to Detroit some time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm excited by how much posting is going on in the thread too! There were whole years there where the thread was basically you and I telling each other what we bought lol. 

That's gotta be a bummer with Amoeba gone. I am very thankful to still have my main local store still going strong. There's a couple of stores I want to get to down in Ohio, but I never actually follow through. 

Once this whole pandemic BS is over, I'd love fot you to make it out to Detroit some time.

I almost said the exact same thing about us just telling each other what we got :lol:

Amoeba will open again once Covid chills. They were moving, then the pandemic hit and it juts fucked their plans up. The new store is done, just waiting to open.

Dude, I would love to go back out to Detroit. I'm a huge Wings fan (even though they suck now) and haven't been to the new arena. Last time I was there, I really dug UHF in Royal Oak.

47 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

I almost said the exact same thing about us just telling each other what we got :lol:

Amoeba will open again once Covid chills. They were moving, then the pandemic hit and it juts fucked their plans up. The new store is done, just waiting to open.

Dude, I would love to go back out to Detroit. I'm a huge Wings fan (even though they suck now) and haven't been to the new arena. Last time I was there, I really dug UHF in Royal Oak.

Right on man. I live over closer to Dearborn Music, but I'm about 20 minutes or so from UHF so it's not too bad. Found Sound is over that way, which I dig too. 

As you might imagine, I've been to a million Wings games at JLA. I've been to a couple of LCA but yeah, the Wings suck now so you can pretty much walk in for free lol

Earned a few hundred quid more than I was expecting this month so bit the bullet and (almost) completed my PF collection - got Relics, Pipers, Saucerful, Final Cut and the 2018 reissue of Delicate Sound. Have heard there are some major pressing issues with the latter (similar to CD US vinyl) so hope my copy is ok.

The only thing I think I'm missing is Endless River which I have on CD.

Next stop Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson.

Edit: for clarity that's the original Delicate Sound of Thunder reissued as park of the back catalogue reissue 2-3 years ago. Not the remixed new reissue from last year.

Edited by ToonGuns
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Earned a few hundred quid more than I was expecting this month so bit the bullet and (almost) completed my PF collection - got Relics, Pipers, Saucerful, Final Cut and the 2018 reissue of Delicate Sound. Have heard there are some major pressing issues with the latter (similar to CD US vinyl) so hope my copy is ok.

The only thing I think I'm missing is Endless River which I have on CD.

Next stop Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson.

Edit: for clarity that's the original Delicate Sound of Thunder reissued as park of the back catalogue reissue 2-3 years ago. Not the remixed new reissue from last year.

I didn't know there was issues with the 2018 Delicate Sound. I hope yours is OK. I'm glad they did that reissue though because original pressings are hard to come by and I'd like for people to have a choice between the original and the 3 LP 

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I didn't know there was issues with the 2018 Delicate Sound. I hope yours is OK. I'm glad they did that reissue though because original pressings are hard to come by and I'd like for people to have a choice between the original and the 3 LP 

Yeah I think side B of vinyl A is meant to have major issues on some pressings. The track "sorrow" in particular. I'll let you know what mine is like. Was debating whether to get it but your video convinced me. Damn you! 🙂

• Haha 1

The expense continues. Just picked up the below:

- Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - got the limited edition independent record shop white vinyl version, and the shop I use chucked in some limited edition postcards and a signed 12" poster free of charge!

- Steven Wilson - 12 Things I Forgot 12" single.

- Flying Colors - Third Stage Live in London - 3 disc orange vinyl boxset. Was at this gig so been meaning to get this for a while.

- Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In The Dark limited red swirl vinyl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

The expense continues. Just picked up the below:

- Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - got the limited edition independent record shop white vinyl version, and the shop I use chucked in some limited edition postcards and a signed 12" poster free of charge!

- Steven Wilson - 12 Things I Forgot 12" single.

- Flying Colors - Third Stage Live in London - 3 disc orange vinyl boxset. Was at this gig so been meaning to get this for a while.

- Nick Johnston - Wide Eyes In The Dark limited red swirl vinyl.

Nice selections. Thanks for the YouTube comment btw :)

There's not a lot out there I feel like I need right now and to be honest, that's a good thing lol. RSD will be here sooner than I realize in June and I'm sure there will be more than a few "must haves" for me. 

• Like 1

After hearing more good things than bad about the latest Foo Fighters album, I blind bought the LP. I won't get a chance to listen to it until Friday but I'm looking forward to it. I also made sure to get the Target exclusive version of it. I'm all for supporting local record stores, but the Target cover is just way cooler to me.

Also, the next vinyl YouTube video will be up tomorrow morning. This time out I'm covering the super rare Motley Crue - S/T (1994) album :)

• Like 1

My mum was clearing out her attic so she's donated a load of old vinyls to me. No lost masterpieces or first editions worth thousands unfortunately, but not a bad haul. The highlights are:

- Best of the Mamas and Papas

- Rolled Gold - the best of the Rolling Stones

- Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

- Paul Simon - Graceland

- Arlo Guthrie - Running Down The Road

- The Who - Sell Out

- The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord

- Wings - At The Speed of Sound

- Wings - Venus and Mars

Plus some classical stuff, Nat King Cole, Diana Ross, and that kind of stuff. All 60's / 70's original pressings. They're a bit musty!, but the ones I've played so far play well and aren't warped.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

My mum was clearing out her attic so she's donated a load of old vinyls to me. No lost masterpieces or first editions worth thousands unfortunately, but not a bad haul. The highlights are:

- Best of the Mamas and Papas

- Rolled Gold - the best of the Rolling Stones

- Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

- Paul Simon - Graceland

- Arlo Guthrie - Running Down The Road

- The Who - Sell Out

- The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord

- Wings - At The Speed of Sound

- Wings - Venus and Mars

Plus some classical stuff, Nat King Cole, Diana Ross, and that kind of stuff. All 60's / 70's original pressings. They're a bit musty!, but the ones I've played so far play well and aren't warped.

Venus and Mars is great!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 4:39 AM, RussTCB said:

Here it is :)

Great album, but I honestly didn't know it was pressed on vinyl - I thought the vinyl copies were all bootlegs lol. (I know there's some Generation Swine bootlegs out there too.) Do you know how many were actually pressed?

The album you forgot was Saints Of LA, btw :P

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Great album, but I honestly didn't know it was pressed on vinyl - I thought the vinyl copies were all bootlegs lol. (I know there's some Generation Swine bootlegs out there too.) Do you know how many were actually pressed?

The album you forgot was Saints Of LA, btw :P

Thanks for watching and yeah, I remembered SoLA as soon as we got done shooting that video lol. 

I'm not sure how many official pressings of MC94 were made but due to when it was released and how much real ones go for, it must be a very low number. 

I've seen those bootlegs too and I had to laugh at some of them having pics of Vince on the inner sleeve haha. I *might* actually buy the Generation Swine bootleg just to have Shout 97 on vinyl, but I'm on the fence about that. 

I have the 7" for Hooligans Holiday too and I probably should have included that in the video. I don't think it's super rare or anything, but I bought it about a year before I got the full album.