Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I see Pink Floyd have announced a 45rpm double vinyl release of the Knebworth live gig that was in the Later Years. 

They are fuckers aren't they. They know I'll feel ripped off. But know I likely can't resist.

Is it 45rpm?? I was wondering why in the hell you'd need a 2 LP set for a 7 song set. At least that makes more sense if it's at 45rpm. 

And yes, it's a bullshit release really and yes, Pink Floyd absolutely knows people like us will buy it anyway LOL 

I had that Floyd release announcement sent to me earlier on that led to a discussion on Queen's last show at Knebworth. I'd love for the full show to one day get out (it's predominantly the source for Live Magic), but Queen productions don't seem to want to do it seen as there is no video footage to accompany such release (if you're to believe the official word, the gentleman responsible for filming that day's show forgot to hit 'record').

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:10 AM, RussTCB said:

Is it 45rpm?? I was wondering why in the hell you'd need a 2 LP set for a 7 song set. At least that makes more sense if it's at 45rpm. 

And yes, it's a bullshit release really and yes, Pink Floyd absolutely knows people like us will buy it anyway LOL 

Yeah it is 45rpm. Money takes up the entire side of one of the vinyls. Sound quality should hopefully be good.

Anyway - ordered it. No surprises really. Feel a bit ripped as 4 of the 7 songs are also on the "Latter Years Highlights" vinyl that I also bought maybe 4 months ago (with some of the DSOT remixes)... I reckon the DSOT remix will also likely get a standalone remix at some point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Yeah it is 45rpm. Money takes up the entire side of one of the vinyls. Sound quality should hopefully be good.

Anyway - ordered it. No surprises really. Feel a bit ripped as 4 of the 7 songs are also on the "Latter Years Highlights" vinyl that I also bought maybe 4 months ago (with some of the DSOT remixes)... I reckon the DSOT remix will also likely get a standalone remix at some point.

I have a feeling the Momentary Lapse Remix will be Floyds RSD 2021 offering. A way for Gilmour to charge even more for it as a standalone :/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coma16 said:

@RussTCBis Michael Jackson Bad 180 grams (not picture disk) a good pressing? 

There are a few 180g pressings of Bad and I've never heard anything negative about them. 

One of my pressings is the Music On Vinyl 180g pressing and it's fantastic. One thing that's great about reissues of Bad is that you get Leave Me Alone as the last track on the album. Original pressings of the album ended with Smooth Criminal and didn't have Leave Me Alone included at all. 

13 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There are a few 180g pressings of Bad and I've never heard anything negative about them. 

One of my pressings is the Music On Vinyl 180g pressing and it's fantastic. One thing that's great about reissues of Bad is that you get Leave Me Alone as the last track on the album. Original pressings of the album ended with Smooth Criminal and didn't have Leave Me Alone included at all. 

Thanks, not sure exactly which one but someone in my area is selling a sealed one for 29$ CAD and I've been meaning to pick a copy up.

He also has a sealed copy of GNR GH for $45 that I'm happily going to pass on...

Edited by Coma16

38 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Thanks, not sure exactly which one but someone in my area is selling a sealed one for 29$ CAD and I've been meaning to pick a copy up.

He also has a sealed copy of GNR GH for $45 that I'm happily going to pass on...

That seems to be a reasonable price for Bad 

And yeah, I've had many opportunities to pick up GN'R GH and I just keep passing on it. 

11 hours ago, Coma16 said:

It looks like the 2015 Euro version, which doesn't look like it contains Leave Me Alone... ah well, still glad I picked it up.

Wow, I honestly wasn't aware there were 180g reissues without that song. Damn. 

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Leave Me Alone is a great song...was that just a single after Bad's original release? I was unaware it wasn't included on the original pressing!

It was on the original CD of Bad but not the original cassette and vinyl pressings. It was supposed to be a way to get people to continue buy the CD over the other two formats. 

There was a 7" single for it when the video was released but it wasn't included on any vinyl pressings until reissues started around 2010. It's also included on the 3 LP "Bad 25" set along with a lot of cool demos. One song included on that set is called "Streetwalker" which was almost included on Bad in place of Leave Me Alone. Streetwalker is a bad ass song and I actually prefer it to Leave Me Alone at times. 

• Thanks 1

I was in Walmart with my wife last night and took a look through their vinyl because they have a lot of exclusives. 

I ended up getting a great deal on. Bob Segers Greatest Hits. It's a 2 LP set with MoFi style inner sleeves. It's got all the Seger songs I need and it was $22.97!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Here's the latest video

Thanks for already watching and leaving a comment @ToonGuns:)

It is an excellent video, and your responses to comments are also top notch!

This week has been a very exciting one for Vinyl shopping I splurged since I got accepted into my Masters Degree and it is spring break so celebratory Vinyl purchases were a must:

• Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
  • Fates Warning - The Spectre Within [Coloured]
  • Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian
  • Evanescence - The Bitter Truth [Pre-Order]
  • King Crimson - In the Court Of The Crimson King 
  • King Crimson - Red 
  • Kiss - Kiss [Box Set]
  • Kiss - Hotter Than Hell [Box Set]
  • Kiss - Dressed To Kill [Box Set]
  • Kiss - Destroyer
  • Myles Kennedy - The Ides Of March [Pre-Order; Multi Coloured]
  • Queesryche - The Queensryche EP 
  • Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
  • The Who - Live At Leeds [3 LP Version]
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Dissident said:

It is an excellent video, and your responses to comments are also top notch!

This week has been a very exciting one for Vinyl shopping I splurged since I got accepted into my Masters Degree and it is spring break so celebratory Vinyl purchases were a must:

• Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding
  • Fates Warning - The Spectre Within [Coloured]
  • Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian
  • Evanescence - The Bitter Truth [Pre-Order]
  • King Crimson - In the Court Of The Crimson King 
  • King Crimson - Red 
  • Kiss - Kiss [Box Set]
  • Kiss - Hotter Than Hell [Box Set]
  • Kiss - Dressed To Kill [Box Set]
  • Kiss - Destroyer
  • Myles Kennedy - The Ides Of March [Pre-Order; Multi Coloured]
  • Queesryche - The Queensryche EP 
  • Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
  • The Who - Live At Leeds [3 LP Version]

Thank you very much and hot damn, that's a great selection of vinyl you got for yourself! The only Queensryche I have is Empire (which I love) but I need to get some more. 

Edited by RussTCB

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Thank you very much and hot damn, that's a great selection of vinyl you got for yourself! The only Queensryche I have is Empire (which I love) but I need to get some more. 

I've been hunting for Empire and The Warning for a while. I do have The Verdict, Rage For Order and my personal favourite of Operation: Mindcrime which now that I think of it is in need of a spin in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dissident said:

I've been hunting for Empire and The Warning for a while. I do have The Verdict, Rage For Order and my personal favourite of Operation: Mindcrime which now that I think of it is in need of a spin in the near future.

There's this one record store fairly close to my house that used to kick major ass in the 90s, bit they've gone way downhill over the past 15 years or so. 

I stopped in there about 5 years ago maybe just to see if it was as bad as I'd heard. The rumors were true :( the store was like 90% drug paraphernalia and 10% music.

Anyway, they had a tiny vinyl section so I flipped through it and BAM, they had a copy of the Friday Music pressing of Empire. I've never been back since but that one stop in was worth it lol. 

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

There's this one record store fairly close to my house that used to kick major ass in the 90s, bit they've gone way downhill over the past 15 years or so. 

I stopped in there about 5 years ago maybe just to see if it was as bad as I'd heard. The rumors were true :( the store was like 90% drug paraphernalia and 10% music.

Anyway, they had a tiny vinyl section so I flipped through it and BAM, they had a copy of the Friday Music pressing of Empire. I've never been back since but that one stop in was worth it lol. 

That is a real shame, we have one across town, but I've had spotty luck so I decided to give it a go today, it appears that the quality of the store has greatly increased since I was last there about 2 years ago, I normally do a day trip into Vancouver and hit stores there but today was a pleasent surprise a fair number of the ones of the list were from there. 

• Like 1

These Walmart & Target exclusives are gonna be the death of me lol. 

I found a Target exclusive copy of The Go-Go's Greatest Hits yesterday. I don't have any of their stuff so i grabbed it. Everything I know by them is right on Side 1 so when I got home, I put Side 2 on first just to hear some new tunes. 

There were some REALLY good tunes on Side 2! Then I flipped it over and took a trip down memory lane. I like the record a lot but I ts further proof that I need to stop looking in the vinyl section at Walmart & Target because I'm just gonna keep finding things I think I need lol 

I'm out for a month I think. Need to save up.

Just got very poor service on Discogs so a warning to people - took a seller 6 weeks to post me the item (they were selling stock they didn't have, having to buy in to order - took them 5 weeks to find it from somewhere in eastern Europe), they charged me very expensive postage, then offered me 15% discount for the delay but never paid it and are now ignoring all messages.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I'm out for a month I think. Need to save up.

Just got very poor service on Discogs so a warning to people - took a seller 6 weeks to post me the item (they were selling stock they didn't have, having to buy in to order - took them 5 weeks to find it from somewhere in eastern Europe), they charged me very expensive postage, then offered me 15% discount for the delay but never paid it and are now ignoring all messages.

That is an absolute sickener. I'd keep chasing mate, or if it's not a hard to come by item (I assume it is given that it took so long), just go for the full refund and pick it up from elsewhere. That's some carry on and is enough to put anyone off, but poor show from the seller as they should have handled that much better - being honest up front about not actually having the item would have been a start. Maybe send him a message saying something along the lines of that you are incredibly disappointed with the service that you have received, you hate leaving negative feedback but feel that you've been forced into a position to do so in order to prevent the same happening to other people. Something like that!

2 hours ago, Dean said:

That is an absolute sickener. I'd keep chasing mate, or if it's not a hard to come by item (I assume it is given that it took so long), just go for the full refund and pick it up from elsewhere. That's some carry on and is enough to put anyone off, but poor show from the seller as they should have handled that much better - being honest up front about not actually having the item would have been a start. Maybe send him a message saying something along the lines of that you are incredibly disappointed with the service that you have received, you hate leaving negative feedback but feel that you've been forced into a position to do so in order to prevent the same happening to other people. Something like that!

The crazy thing is it is a bricks and mortar shop, not even just a "bloke" selling from his garage. A proper shop. Terrible really. Think I'm just going to park it. Not worth the hassle. And they did (eventually) deliver the item.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, The Dissident said:

That is a real shame, we have one across town, but I've had spotty luck so I decided to give it a go today, it appears that the quality of the store has greatly increased since I was last there about 2 years ago, I normally do a day trip into Vancouver and hit stores there but today was a pleasent surprise a fair number of the ones of the list were from there. 

I used to hit Neptoon records and Scrape records whenever I was in Van. Scrape was the best, shame it closed down a few years ago.

The stores around Victoria kinda suck, but there's a couple decent ones. Tbh I get most of my records online now.