Jump to content

Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I'm out for a month I think. Need to save up.

Just got very poor service on Discogs so a warning to people - took a seller 6 weeks to post me the item (they were selling stock they didn't have, having to buy in to order - took them 5 weeks to find it from somewhere in eastern Europe), they charged me very expensive postage, then offered me 15% discount for the delay but never paid it and are now ignoring all messages.

DAMN. I'm really sorry that happened. I've had reasonably decent success over time on Discogs but I hate to hear of bad experiences for anyone else.

The only course of action at this point is to leave negative feedback so you can hopefully warn others. I'm not a big fan of leaving negative feedback, but I feel it's very warranted in your case. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Expectations: vs. reality:   I know they always give the disclaimers on coloured vinyl that the final product may differ from the mock-ups, but goddamn  

My deck was sitting in storage for over 10 years. So now that I have somewhere to set it up and run properly, I pulled it out and took it to a local audio tech for some lovin' given it is from th

Finally got around to picking up the latest from Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats today.  Also grabbed the new Tedeschi Trucks that came out today. 

Posted Images

The only time I can think of where I had an issue with a seller, was when I ordered a bootleg Buckethead 7". It came from Eastern Europe and at some point I just assumed it was lost in the mail... then it randomly showed up at my door like 6 months after I ordered it :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

picked up the HER soundtrack and the Beatles Love LP this weekend.

As for shitty discogs sellers, I've had a couple over time. The fact that seeing images of the item isn't easier and that all the sellers just make up their own grading, which is what their listings are based upon, is shitty. I feel there are some dumb people on there that just list stuff they have and have NO clue how to ship records. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

picked up the HER soundtrack and the Beatles Love LP this weekend.

As for shitty discogs sellers, I've had a couple over time. The fact that seeing images of the item isn't easier and that all the sellers just make up their own grading, which is what their listings are based upon, is shitty. I feel there are some dumb people on there that just list stuff they have and have NO clue how to ship records. 

The Beatles Love is such a great album to own. I'm surprised it not a bigger deal in the vinyl community as it sounds wonderful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The Beatles Love is such a great album to own. I'm surprised it not a bigger deal in the vinyl community as it sounds wonderful. 

yeah I always had the opinion of "I don't need that, the original songs are perfect." I guess I finally just got to the point where I thought it'd be fun to mix things up a bit. I listen to the beatles station on sirius xm a lot and they'll play tracks from it here and there and that's what finally did me in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZoSoRosewas kind enough to send me some vinyl records. He sent me a signed copy of the latest Lone Bellow album, which is cool. He also sent me a pair of LPs by a local Detroit act called The Lucid Furs. I've never heard their material so it'll be cool to throw them on the turntable this Friday. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

@ZoSoRosewas kind enough to send me some vinyl records. He sent me a signed copy of the latest Lone Bellow album, which is cool. He also sent me a pair of LPs by a local Detroit act called The Lucid Furs. I've never heard their material so it'll be cool to throw them on the turntable this Friday. 

Maybe I can swing by this week!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Maybe I can swing by this week!

That would be rad man. I usually start by 7 on Friday nights. Our old friend wagszilla is usually there every week too 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

That would be rad man. I usually start by 7 on Friday nights. Our old friend wagszilla is usually there every week too 

Tell that bastard he is missed. Slap him across the face with a towel also, Pitman would want it that way.

Also, here is the holy grail none of you thought you needed, but now do!

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Hayes-The-Badstreet-Band-Off-The-Streets/release/7473618

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dean said:

Tell that bastard he is missed. Slap him across the face with a towel also, Pitman would want it that way.

Also, here is the holy grail none of you thought you needed, but now do!

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Hayes-The-Badstreet-Band-Off-The-Streets/release/7473618

I'll be sure to deliver your message haha. 

Also, I clicked that link and thought "that dude looks like Michael Hayes" then of course I was like "HOLY SHIT. THAT'S MICHAEL HAYES!" haha

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dean said:

Tell that bastard he is missed. Slap him across the face with a towel also, Pitman would want it that way.

Also, here is the holy grail none of you thought you needed, but now do!

https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Hayes-The-Badstreet-Band-Off-The-Streets/release/7473618

Haha. That album cover reminds me of a situation I was in a few years ago at a car boot sale - I was rifling through a guys vinyl collection (you know the type  £2 each or 6 for £10) and there were a few third generation hair metal style albums of bands I'd never heard of (Poison clones), one of which had the four band members on the front cover in proper fluorescent semi topless clothing, chest hair hanging out, hairspray and highlights, the absolute works which made me laugh out loud. It was so incredibly "good" that I wanted to buy it, but because the guy had heard me chuckling out loud he refused to sell it to me 😂

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Haha. That album cover reminds me of a situation I was in a few years ago at a car boot sale - I was rifling through a guys vinyl collection (you know the type  £2 each or 6 for £10) and there were a few third generation hair metal style albums of bands I'd never heard of (Poison clones), one of which had the four band members on the front cover in proper fluorescent semi topless clothing, chest hair hanging out, hairspray and highlights, the absolute works which made me laugh out loud. It was so incredibly "good" that I wanted to buy it, but because the guy had heard me chuckling out loud he refused to sell it to me 😂

That is outstanding, that guy sounds like a petty dick for refusing to sell. Hopefully he had a shite day trying to punt the records after you left 😂😂😂

I’ve not been to a car boot sale since about 2004. They were always good for picking up records dirt cheap with the occasional rarity being found. Do Newcastle still have a lot of active record stores (before this pandemic anyway)? There was this one place that I picked up a pristine copy of Dire Straits’ self titled effort. I could never remember the name of it or where it was located for that matter whenever I was back down. The last time I was down, the store I went into had that Queen Studio on the go for over £300, which was around £80-£100 more than I paid for it, so I thought the pricing would’ve been way off, that turned out to be wrong as I picked up a sealed copy of Chinese for £6! I already had a few pressings by that point but at that price, it would’ve been rude not to! That store was in the shopping centre not far from the train station. Not doing too great with my descriptions of these places am I? 😂😂😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some Amazon GCs so I grabbed a few things that should be here tomorrow:

I Wish You Love - Music From The Bodyguard (it's a 2 LP reissue of sorts of the original soundtrack with a second LP of more songs from the movie) 

I also grabbed the first two Sturgill Simpson albums finally. 

Lastly, I grabbed the new album by Edie Brickell and New Bohemians. I had NO idea they even had a new album, but I've liked everything I've heard from them so it was an easy blind buy for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Had some Amazon GCs so I grabbed a few things that should be here tomorrow:

I Wish You Love - Music From The Bodyguard (it's a 2 LP reissue of sorts of the original soundtrack with a second LP of more songs from the movie) 

I also grabbed the first two Sturgill Simpson albums finally. 

Lastly, I grabbed the new album by Edie Brickell and New Bohemians. I had NO idea they even had a new album, but I've liked everything I've heard from them so it was an easy blind buy for me. 

RPM maybe? It's opposite the bus station right in town centre, underneath the shopping centre. Small place. The other place is maybw Windows which is in a smaller shopping arcade near the big column, it's pretty good (also sells musician instruments etc - back in the day I'd spend ages in there. They once gave me a free Jordan Rudess cd).

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Had some Amazon GCs so I grabbed a few things that should be here tomorrow:

I Wish You Love - Music From The Bodyguard (it's a 2 LP reissue of sorts of the original soundtrack with a second LP of more songs from the movie) 

I also grabbed the first two Sturgill Simpson albums finally. 

Lastly, I grabbed the new album by Edie Brickell and New Bohemians. I had NO idea they even had a new album, but I've liked everything I've heard from them so it was an easy blind buy for me. 

I had to buy a cooker light fitting yesterday off Amazon so "had" to spend a bit more money to qualify for free shipping (what I told my wife anyway, a white lie!) - ordered The ReconstruKction of Light by King Crimson to continue my KC binge. It's sold out on the KC official website so figured it might be hard to come by soon. It's a vinyl exclusive remix of one of their later period albums with the drums completely re-recorded, and side 4 has some bonus tracks not on the cd.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest purchases:

Chairmen of the Board's self titled effort

Bread's Baby I'm-A Want You, Guitar Man and Lost Without Your Love

Gilbert O'Sullivan's I'm a Writer, Not a Fighter

Rod Stewart's Never a Dull Moment

I picked up another copy of Wings at the Speed of Sound, my pressing was a hand-me-down that has seen better days!

Rolling Stones' Tattoo You

Barry White's Let The Music Play

IT FEELS GOOD TO BE BACK!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've picked up a Brazilian pressing of Rod Stewart's Unplugged and Seated from Discogs for a snip of £35. It'll no doubt be too good to be true though, so I'll expect the worst.

I was watching the Rio 2001 show earlier and I always loved Finck's solo spot where he performs Sossego. I've known of that song for my fast approaching two decades following this shit show of a band and not once did it ever occur to me to look up the original - it's a 70's Disco Track... I've got the album that's off of bought from Amazon, ha! If you like a bit of 70's disco, it's £13. I think the original pressing is really sought after going by the amount of people that have it in their want list on Discogs.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dean said:

I've picked up a Brazilian pressing of Rod Stewart's Unplugged and Seated from Discogs for a snip of £35. It'll no doubt be too good to be true though, so I'll expect the worst.

I was watching the Rio 2001 show earlier and I always loved Finck's solo spot where he performs Sossego. I've known of that song for my fast approaching two decades following this shit show of a band and not once did it ever occur to me to look up the original - it's a 70's Disco Track... I've got the album that's off of bought from Amazon, ha! If you like a bit of 70's disco, it's £13. I think the original pressing is really sought after going by the amount of people that have it in their want list on Discogs.

 

I picked up that Rod Stewart record about 5 years ago from a local shop. I was very surprised to see it so I scooped it right up. No clue what I paid for it, but it's a fun spin once in a while. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Joined a vinyl group on Facebook and saw these for sale. You can't quite tell from the pic, but it's 2 racks. Dude wanted $50 for them, so scooped them up.

Hes bringing them to my house on Friday and I'm pretty stoked. I was nearly out of room in my record bins. So I'm gonna put these a little ways across the room and move the beginning of the alphabet to them. It'll give me room for about 250/300 more records which is good. 

Should look rad when I'm done!

Screenshot_20210327-133602_Facebook.jpg

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look awesome! I have recently shifted to Ikea shelves (which fit records) perfectly from bins. Although I haven't quite figured out how many records should be on each shelf. Plus it allows for storage of other stuff. Those shelves look quite space efficient. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Those look awesome! I have recently shifted to Ikea shelves (which fit records) perfectly from bins. Although I haven't quite figured out how many records should be on each shelf. Plus it allows for storage of other stuff. Those shelves look quite space efficient. 

I have no idea where the guy got them in the first place but I'll ask when he delivers them. I'd love to get more like them for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Those look awesome! I have recently shifted to Ikea shelves (which fit records) perfectly from bins. Although I haven't quite figured out how many records should be on each shelf. Plus it allows for storage of other stuff. Those shelves look quite space efficient. 

I think those ikea shelves are almost the go to worldwide vinyl shelving solution. I had a 4x4 shelf unit that I only chucked out as we were having what my wife calls a "declutter". So now the boxes of vinyls are on the floor!

13 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Joined a vinyl group on Facebook and saw these for sale. You can't quite tell from the pic, but it's 2 racks. Dude wanted $50 for them, so scooped them up.

Hes bringing them to my house on Friday and I'm pretty stoked. I was nearly out of room in my record bins. So I'm gonna put these a little ways across the room and move the beginning of the alphabet to them. It'll give me room for about 250/300 more records which is good. 

Should look rad when I'm done!

Screenshot_20210327-133602_Facebook.jpg

That does look amazing. Are those actual vinyls that have been branded to be used as separaters? I'd be interested to see how they have been built - might copy that approach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I think those ikea shelves are almost the go to worldwide vinyl shelving solution. I had a 4x4 shelf unit that I only chucked out as we were having what my wife calls a "declutter". So now the boxes of vinyls are on the floor!

That does look amazing. Are those actual vinyls that have been branded to be used as separaters? I'd be interested to see how they have been built - might copy that approach. 

He made those dividers himself. Just used junk records, attached them to old covers and put the band logos on them. 

I think my dividers are gonna end up looking really cool in them as well. I won't know until they're actually here, but I *think* I'll be able to fit my A through D section into both racks. 

I'm really excited if so because that will free up a TON of room in my existing bins. I'll post new pics of my setup once the dust settles. I'm really excited for him to bring them on Friday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...