Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

16 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Same here!

Only things I'll get are the Joe Perry album (finally) and the St. Vincent 7" and those are both in the July drop.

I want the Kings X releases but I doubt they'll be hard to get. 

I love the Prince acoustic album (The Truth) but at 13k pressed, it'll be super easy to get. 

8 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Yeah nothing on there that gets me excited at all. St Vincent is cool though, fantastic guitarist.

I'd be interested in RATM The Battle of Mexico City (but tbh I'm always wary of live albums), and then the Beastie Boys Aglio E Olio. But those two are scrapping at the bottom of the barrel for me.

Slightly off topic - how do y'all store your boxsets? Not a fan of the format (big old cardboard boxes with loads of stuff inside), but I do have a number of them through subscriptions as well as bands that have released entire catalogs etc. Made the decision to just ditch the boxes recently (including any token gestures within them, posters, pins, badges, bandanas, whatever) and just store the vinyl as per normal as if not part of a box set. 

Have all that stuff tucked into a fancy box makes it a pain in the ass for me to get the records out, and noticed I just can't be fucked listening to the stuff because of this. Removing everything from the boxset has worked out well so far. Probably annoys purists though.

I just keep them on the shelf with everything else.

Sometimes with boxes like some of the older TMR vaults that have like dvd, patches, etc...i've just sold all the novelty shit and have the records in the box.

Mostly all boxsets I buy are really just albums in a box though...maybe a poster or booklet here or there, like the recent John Lennon Gimme Some Truth box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hudsonsaul said:

Sightly off topic - how do y'all store your boxsets? Not a fan of the format (big old cardboard boxes with loads of stuff inside), but I do have a number of them through subscriptions as well as bands that have released entire catalogs etc. Made the decision to just ditch the boxes recently (including any token gestures within them, posters, pins, badges, bandanas, whatever) and just store the vinyl as per normal as if not part of a box set. 

Have all that stuff tucked into a fancy box makes it a pain in the ass for me to get the records out, and noticed I just can't be fucked listening to the stuff because of this. Removing everything from the boxset has worked out well so far. Probably annoys purists though.

Up until very recently, I kept all of them in line with the rest of the records in my bins. 

I started running out of room again though so I moved all the TMR boxed sets I won't listen to regularly to down below my main bins. If/when I want to listen to them, I'll just get down there and get them. 

Moving the TMR sets get me a lot of room back, so that's all I moved for now. Everything else is still in line until I get desperate for room and have to figure something else out. 

• Like 1

I'd have picked up that Freddie Mercury single, but it appears it's bundled in with the Adam Lambert live release. No thanks. I'm sure someone will sell it separately eventually, I'm not really in any hurry for it either. 

• Like 1

RSD UK has a different list to the USA one I think, although it doesn't look particularly exciting either. The stand outs are a few of the jazz records which look decent (RSD always seem to do jazz well), the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack which has Bucket on it, and maybe that's it. I might be tempted for a few more nearer the time, but first impressions are a step down from last year.

Also what annoys me for some reason is the UK release pdf doesn't confirm the release type (exclusive, limited, early etc) or quantity like the USA one does.

Just grabbed a couple of things I didn't get to last week:

Sturgill Simpson - Cuttin' Grass Volume 2 

The Jacksons - Live

As big of an MJ fan as I am, I've never actually heard The Jacksons live album so that'll be a fun listen. 

After I got home from the record store I remembered the new Parker Millsap album came out today too. So I'll just swing back by for that later next week. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Love Spit Love

Trysome Eatone

Event: RSD DROPS 2021
Release Date: 6/12/2021
Format: LP
Label: Real Gone Music
Quantity: 2000

I'm gonna try to grab a copy of that...

Yeah, there's definitely a few things I know people will be interested in for sure. Overall it just seems like a very lacking list though. 

• Like 1

Went to amoeba yesterday for the first time since the new location opened. I’m not as in to the new building. It’s a little smaller and more cramped and the collectible vinyl is scattered throughout the store rather than all being on the back wall.

nice to have them back though, I will visit again when they have normal hours and I can go during a slower time.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

YES!

21B460E1-6925-46F2-8841-E721E83A2319.jpeg.87e08d7835c988e39025a462587d6eae.jpeg

Advertised as VG+ on both sleeve and media, bit of a ding in the corner as you can see but I’m halfway through Tie Your Mother Down and all is grand!!! The inners are in tremendous nick.

Firing on all cylinders. Ecstatic to finally own this. Shouting and fighting going on!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got my "unofficial" pressing of Van Halen III yesterday. 

Solid job on the packaging. The vinyl is quiet and loud, with good dynamic range. 

It's the only Van Halen studio album I didn't have on vinyl because it's never been officially pressed so I settled for a bootleg just to complete their studio work. 

I've never actually listened to the album straight through, so that will be fun. I only had time to listen to Side 1 yesterday but I'm looking forward to going through the whole thing. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dean said:

YES!

21B460E1-6925-46F2-8841-E721E83A2319.jpeg.87e08d7835c988e39025a462587d6eae.jpeg

Advertised as VG+ on both sleeve and media, bit of a ding in the corner as you can see but I’m halfway through Tie Your Mother Down and all is grand!!! The inners are in tremendous nick.

Firing on all cylinders. Ecstatic to finally own this. Shouting and fighting going on!!!

Hot DAMN! I somehow missed this post earlier. So happy you finally got it and it's in the shape described! 

I know we've discussed this, but what a monster album to have on vinyl. I'm very happy for you :)

Not tomorrow, but next Thursday video will feature my son. I had him pick out 5 LPs he likes and I asked him to talk about then. Queen At Wembley was one he choose, so it was cool to show it off. 

Tomorrow's video is about Run DMC but the one with my Zakk will be out next week. 

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Hot DAMN! I somehow missed this post earlier. So happy you finally got it and it's in the shape described! 

I know we've discussed this, but what a monster album to have on vinyl. I'm very happy for you :)

Not tomorrow, but next Thursday video will feature my son. I had him pick out 5 LPs he likes and I asked him to talk about then. Queen At Wembley was one he choose, so it was cool to show it off. 

Tomorrow's video is about Run DMC but the one with my Zakk will be out next week. 

That is so fucking cool man. You've taught him well! A very special album for me and was one I spent much of my youth listening to with my old man, it's a trip to hear of similar stories!

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:43 AM, RussTCB said:

The Jacksons - Live

As big of an MJ fan as I am, I've never actually heard The Jacksons live album so that'll be a fun listen. 

If you still haven't listened to it, you are definitely in for a treat! I really love the Jacksons records (not as much as MJ solo obviously) and during this period they were absolutely on fire. You also get some cuts from Off the Wall in there (DSTYGE is phenomenal!) while that material was still fresh and it's absolutely an incredible listen. The live record is great.

I have the original pressing from 1981. Did you pick up the new remaster they came out recently? I was curious how it sounds and if it might be worth picking up.

5 hours ago, History2010 said:

If you still haven't listened to it, you are definitely in for a treat! I really love the Jacksons records (not as much as MJ solo obviously) and during this period they were absolutely on fire. You also get some cuts from Off the Wall in there (DSTYGE is phenomenal!) while that material was still fresh and it's absolutely an incredible listen. The live record is great.

I have the original pressing from 1981. Did you pick up the new remaster they came out recently? I was curious how it sounds and if it might be worth picking up.

I listened to it starlight through last Friday. Really, really liked it. 

I did buy the new remaster and it sounds awesome. However, having never heard the album before I can't really say if it's a big improvement over what you already have. 

• Like 1

Picked up the target exclusive of Pearl Jam’s ten. I’m not a huge PJ fan and think the bands that led to their formation (especially mother love bone) are generally better but it’s pretty enjoyable.

I’m currently listening to sgt. pepper in mono.  If you’ve never heard it in mono, it’s a very different record and simply incredible.

• Like 1