Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

On 4/22/2021 at 11:50 AM, RussTCB said:

New video featuring my son is up :)

Very cool video Russ, and I see the subscriber count is slowly creeping up almost at 500. I guess these things take time? Some great choices - was that an EU pressing of CD? And is he named after Zakk Wylde?!

Edited by ToonGuns

On 4/14/2021 at 2:03 PM, Dean said:

YES!

21B460E1-6925-46F2-8841-E721E83A2319.jpeg.87e08d7835c988e39025a462587d6eae.jpeg

Advertised as VG+ on both sleeve and media, bit of a ding in the corner as you can see but I’m halfway through Tie Your Mother Down and all is grand!!! The inners are in tremendous nick.

Firing on all cylinders. Ecstatic to finally own this. Shouting and fighting going on!!!

I remember buying that back in the day on double cassette from HMV (or possibly Virgin Megastore) on Newcastle high street. Think I got a voucher from my Grandma for my birthday or something like that.

• GNFNR 1

Have expanded my collection this week:

- The new Tomahawk album (which is fantastic)

- Beat by King Crimson 

- Standing on the Verge of Getting it On by Funkadelic

Also been listening to Porcupine Tree's Octane Twisted live album that I pre-ordered a few months back - it is fantastic, Gavin Harrison is a monster. Only downer is the packaging - the "box" (lid and base type) is maybe 1cm too big for the vinyls so they jiggle around a lot inside which isn't great.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I remember buying that back in the day on double cassette from HMV (or possibly Virgin Megastore) on Newcastle high street. Think I got a voucher from my Grandma for my birthday or something like that.

I've owned multiple versions of it in my lifetime, probably my favourite being a home made tape that cut off midway through I Want To Break Free and the other side of the tape being a bit of Greatest Hits II :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Very cool video Russ, and I see the subscriber count is slowly creeping up almost at 500. I guess these things take time? Some great choices - was that an EU pressing of CD? And is he named after Zakk Wylde?!

Yeah, building a subscriber base on YouTube takes a while. Every single like and comment helps big time though. I very much appreciate all the support you and @Deanhave given because it all helps so much.

I'm actually not sure which pressing of Chinese he pulled for that video but I did shoot a video specially about Chinese Democracy that will be up in a few weeks. I showed both the EU and US pressings and detailed the only way that I know of to tell the difference between them. 

And yep, he is named after Zakk Wylde :)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Picked up Guadalupe Platta box set recently, which basically contains all their albums to date. Mainly did it for their first record which costs a fortune, is brilliant, and well out of print. 

Preordered the new Black Keys album which I'm crazy excited about, I've been gagging for them to do a record like that for about 10 odd years now, and I'm a big fan of Kenny Brown and Eric Deaton. 

On that note, also preordered Robert FInley Sharecropper's Son, also pumped for.

18 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Not gonna lie, when I saw the thumbnail I thought "RussTCB and ZakkTCB, haha". Opened the video and he's wearing a TCB shirt... :lol:

Surprised to see Even Worse in there. Nice video 👍

Hahaha, I didn't even think about him wearing the TCB shirt in the video! 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Came across a sealed copy of Twisted Sister Live At Hammersmith at a local shop for the original price of $34.95. The average sold price on Discogs is $65, with two copies so far this year going for $150. That was a good find I suppose :) 

That’s a great fucking album. Shows how they can hang with so many of the metal bands.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

That’s a great fucking album. Shows how they can hang with so many of the metal bands.

Took me so long to “get” Twisted Sister. After I saw them live for the first time, I was totally blown away. So much energy, one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. 

24 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Took me so long to “get” Twisted Sister. After I saw them live for the first time, I was totally blown away. So much energy, one of the best live bands I’ve ever seen. 

Seriously man, they are so good live. One of the shows I went to was the Xmas ones in Vegas and we had these seats that were actually on the stage and at one point the animal comes over and grabs me by the shoulders and shakes me and almost knocked me off the stage. It was so awesome.

• GNFNR 1

Caved again and ordered two more vinyls, both from Sheet Happens:

- Nick Johnston - Atomic Mind. Limited signed vinyl (limited to 300), first pressing. $35 - bargain.

- Fear and Fate by Archival. New band featuring Nick Johnston. Limited vinyl first pressing.

I'm so frustrated that I missed out on the vinyl release of Remarkably Human, it's my favourite album of his, features Gavin Harrison on drums whom I love... but it had sold out before i knew it was even for sale. And limited to 300 again so resale market likely extortionate. Will try to find it on Discogs but none currently for sale.

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Caved again and ordered two more vinyls, both from Sheet Happens:

- Nick Johnston - Atomic Mind. Limited signed vinyl (limited to 300), first pressing. $35 - bargain.

- Fear and Fate by Archival. New band featuring Nick Johnston. Limited vinyl first pressing.

I'm so frustrated that I missed out on the vinyl release of Remarkably Human, it's my favourite album of his, features Gavin Harrison on drums whom I love... but it had sold out before i knew it was even for sale. And limited to 300 again so resale market likely extortionate. Will try to find it on Discogs but none currently for sale.

I had a friend looking for a really limited a record recently and he tried something I would have never thought of. 

There were none for sale on Discogs so he sent random messages to a few people who listed it in their collection on the site. 

He was just polite and asked them if they happened to want to sell their copy for a reasonable price. He actually got a reply from a person who agreed to sell it for a decent price. 

I thought I'd pass it on. It's an idea I would have never thought of, but it totally worked for him. You might wanna give it a shot, it's kind of a "you never know until you ask situation. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I see Zakk Wylde has just released a mega entire back catalogue boxset of coloured vinyls. Sooo tempted. I wish these artists would stop releasing shit!

I saw that but it's all BLS which isn't of much interest to me. 

I badly want Zakks solo album Book of Shadows on vinyl. I have Book II, but desperately want the first one. 

It get repressed last year, but they only made 300. It sold out as fast as you'd expect and apparently a ton of flippers bought them because the only ones for sale are insanely priced. 

Amazingly, got a response directly from the Dropkick Murphys on Reddit when I posted something about the difference in color on the new LP:

“You got a record the pressing plant was supposed to destroy… the blue in the green and the red in the pink ended up looking like this on the first handful of deluxe versions they pressed.

They reformulated the pink and green and these purple flops were supposed to be recycled.

You have something pretty rare, but if you want us to replace it shoot me a DM.”

So…I guess I did pretty good on that one after all :lol: “A handful” seems like an incredibly small amount (I’d think that to mean less than a dozen?) - how many copies is typical of a mispress?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

9 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Amazingly, got a response directly from the Dropkick Murphys on Reddit when I posted something about the difference in color on the new LP:

“You got a record the pressing plant was supposed to destroy… the blue in the green and the red in the pink ended up looking like this on the first handful of deluxe versions they pressed.

They reformulated the pink and green and these purple flops were supposed to be recycled.

You have something pretty rare, but if you want us to replace it shoot me a DM.”

So…I guess I did pretty good on that one after all :lol: “A handful” seems like an incredibly small amount (I’d think that to mean less than a dozen?) - how many copies is typical of a mispress?

Well hell, that ended up being pretty cool to have that variant then! 

• GNFNR 1

Ugh...the YouTube channel was growing pretty fast and now it seems to have stalled for reasons I can't figure out. 

Any shares or promotion of the channel outside of here is greatly appreciated. Not saying I expect anyone to do that, just saying it would be great if anyone did lol :)

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Ugh...the YouTube channel was growing pretty fast and now it seems to have stalled for reasons I can't figure out. 

Any shares or promotion of the channel outside of here is greatly appreciated. Not saying I expect anyone to do that, just saying it would be great if anyone did lol :)

Isn't it just algorithm shenanigans? Give it time mate, the videos are great so you will get traction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Isn't it just algorithm shenanigans? Give it time mate, the videos are great so you will get traction. 

That's absolutely what it is. I just need to be more patient than I am haha 

• Haha 1