Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Jesus @Deanyou weren't kidding. I dipped my toe in the reddit water and picked up 10 new subscribers so far on YouTube. Holy shit thanks :)

That is tremendous. The funny thing is, you already have the two hardest things down to a tee - great videos and a wealth of the rarities that you need to review :lol: You're on the ball, the rest will take care of itself!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dean said:

That is tremendous. The funny thing is, you already have the two hardest things down to a tee - great videos and a wealth of the rarities that you need to review :lol: You're on the ball, the rest will take care of itself!

Sweet lord. I've picked up 40 subs so far since I made those two posts on reddit! Thanks again :)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

New video! 

Thanks for already leaving comments @ToonGuns:)

Watched it live 👍😉

Bought myself another new vinyl this week - one of my favourite bands "The Aristocrats" (Guthrie Govan, Marco Minnemman and Bryan Bellar) are releasing a live album recorded during their last tour. It features an entire side as a drum solo in memory of Neal Peart, so as a drummer myself, a Rush fan, a The Aristocrats fan, and someone who attended this tour (though not the recorded gigs which I think were recorded in Spain) it felt like a no brainer. Its limited to 500 globally as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goddam you vinyl advertising emails... "back in stock" emails from Burning Shed have tempted me to grab some previously "out of stock" vinyls quickly and top up my Steven Wilson collection. So I grabbed:

- 4 1/2

- Grace for Drowning

- Insurgentes - double vinyl version including all the bonus tracks

- Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Russ - as a fan of PF have you heard Hand Cannot Erase?, as for me that is one of the greatest albums of the past 10 years, very floydesque in parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Goddam you vinyl advertising emails... "back in stock" emails from Burning Shed have tempted me to grab some previously "out of stock" vinyls quickly and top up my Steven Wilson collection. So I grabbed:

- 4 1/2

- Grace for Drowning

- Insurgentes - double vinyl version including all the bonus tracks

- Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Russ - as a fan of PF have you heard Hand Cannot Erase?, as for me that is one of the greatest albums of the past 10 years, very floydesque in parts.

Hmm, I haven't heard it but apparently I need to do so! 

• Like 1

I think I mentioned this previously, but I was toying with the idea of putting up two YouTube videos per week. One on Tuesday and one on Thursday every week. 

I believe we're gonna go ahead and start that next week. As of right now, I have 20 videos in the can. There's an endless amount of topics to do videos on in additon to all the pressings I have, so I think it should be sustainable. 

On a side note, reddit continues to pay off @Dean, we're just over 500 subs now and the last 50 or so came from reddit :)

Edited by RussTCB
  • GNFNR 1

31 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think I mentioned this previously, but I was toying with the idea of putting up two YouTube videos per week. One on Tuesday and one on Thursday every week. 

I believe we're gonna go ahead and start that next week. As of right now, I have 20 videos in the can. There's an endless amount of topics to do videos on in additon to all the pressings I have, so I think it should be sustainable. 

On a side note, reddit continues to pay off @Dean, we're just over 500 subs now and the last 50 or so came from reddit :)

That is tremendous on both additional content and more subs. It'll keep on rising too, just keep at it!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RussTCB said:

Nah. There's a few metal bands that I've just never gotten into. Priest is one and Maiden is another. There's a few songs I like by each, but that's about it. 

I could never get into Maiden. But Priest are slowly turning into my favourite band over GNR. 

If you're ever bored and in an open minded mood, I strongly recommend checking out Nostradamus. I can totally see a Chinese Democracy fan digging that album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Nah. There's a few metal bands that I've just never gotten into. Priest is one and Maiden is another. There's a few songs I like by each, but that's about it. 

Russ... the more pertinent question is have you listened to Hand. Cannot. Erase by Steven Wilson yet?! I'm going to keep pestering you until you do! I might even buy you a copy 😉

Personally speaking back on topic - Love Maiden and respect their post 2000 output, that's how Guns should have managed their brand. Priest I like their stuff but don't own any and struggle to listen to a full album. Nostradamus (the song) is good.

I also splashed some more cash this week - Porcupine Tree have announced a massively limited live release for July, one of these "max 2 copies per household " type vinyls. Ordered that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Russ... the more pertinent question is have you listened to Hand. Cannot. Erase by Steven Wilson yet?! I'm going to keep pestering you until you do! I might even buy you a copy 😉

Personally speaking back on topic - Love Maiden and respect their post 2000 output, that's how Guns should have managed their brand. Priest I like their stuff but don't own any and struggle to listen to a full album. Nostradamus (the song) is good.

I also splashed some more cash this week - Porcupine Tree have announced a massively limited live release for July, one of these "max 2 copies per household " type vinyls. Ordered that.

Dammit! I really need to remember to check that album out. 

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

I could never get into Maiden. But Priest are slowly turning into my favourite band over GNR. 

If you're ever bored and in an open minded mood, I strongly recommend checking out Nostradamus. I can totally see a Chinese Democracy fan digging that album.

Iev heard really good things about that album. It'll have to go on the list of stuff to check out. 

Picked up two bootlegs today:

Van Halen - Live Right Here Right Now 

Cake - Fashion Nugget 

and one official pressing:

Beck - Odelay, 1 LP reissue

I have the 4 LP deluxe version of the Beck album but I never play it because the packaging is a pain in the ass. So I grabbed this 1 LP reissue and I'll probably trade away that 4 LP version. 

• Like 1

Actually did some shopping this weekend and picked up:

St Vincent - Daddy's Home

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory

KISS - Promo Radio Sampler of the Solo Albums

Paul McCartney - RAM 50th Anniversary edition

A couple things came in from online buys recently too:

Evolution of the Game (HHH theme songs spanning his entire career)

Only Lovers Left Alive OST

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

Actually did some shopping this weekend and picked up:

St Vincent - Daddy's Home

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Oasis - What's The Story Morning Glory

KISS - Promo Radio Sampler of the Solo Albums

Paul McCartney - RAM 50th Anniversary edition

A couple things came in from online buys recently too:

Evolution of the Game (HHH theme songs spanning his entire career)

Only Lovers Left Alive OST

The beauty of those early Oasis vinyls  the additional vinyl only tracks. I've got What's The Story on vinyl which I bought the day it came out (possibly at midnight - can't remember) but it sounds pretty shitty, probably played it to death on my crappy old all-in-one Comet own-brand hifi back in the day and scratched the vinyl with a poor needle.

• Like 2

I ordered this almost a year ago, and after several production delays it finally shipped last month, and got here today.

gdS64Ap.jpg

Maybe someone here can tell me exactly wtf happened with this production issue? Is this rippled glassy shit because the edge of the record was improperly cut?

S9qoeMr.jpg

Somewhere near this edge, in the "starting grooves" or whatever the grooves before the song starts are called, my needle kicked back onto the rippled shit, and then it bounced off the record entirely. The record itself is also a bit warped.

I eventually played the song and it sounded fine, but I missed the first few seconds because I can't start this like a normal record. <_<

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@RussTCB I forgot to post about It's 5 O'clock Somewhere, but it sounds good. The artwork is low res, but the packaging is good quality, and I haven't cranked them up very loud but the records sound good. If you're unsure whether to pick it up, I'd say it's worth the $40.

Nice. I just got my Van Halen Live Right Here Right Now boot and I'm very happy with that too

• Like 1

Can't remember if I've posted about this but there's a reissue coming out tomorrow that I'm VERY excited for. 

Violent Femmes - Add It Up (1981 - 1993) is finally getting reissued and I couldn't be more excited. 

There's never been a US pressing of this album and it was always on my back burner of "stuff I wanna order from Discogs eventually" lol. That list was huge when I started working through it about 10 years ago and I just never got to that Femmes record. 

Because of the vinyl boom and the scarcity of the original pressings to begin with, it got up over $200 or so. I just gave up and figured "well, I should have gotten to that one sooner". 

I never expected it to get a reissue since it's a Best Of and they reissue the first Femmes album constantly. Then out of nowhere, I found out it's coming tomorrow. I'm so exited to just walk into my local store tomorrow and get a brand new pressing for $20ish! 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, RussTCB said:

Can't remember if I've posted about this but there's a reissue coming out tomorrow that I'm VERY excited for. 

Violent Femmes - Add It Up (1981 - 1993) is finally getting reissued and I couldn't be more excited. 

There's never been a US pressing of this album and it was always on my back burner of "stuff I wanna order from Discogs eventually" lol. That list was huge when I started working through it about 10 years ago and I just never got to that Femmes record. 

Because of the vinyl boom and the scarcity of the original pressings to begin with, it got up over $200 or so. I just gave up and figured "well, I should have gotten to that one sooner". 

I never expected it to get a reissue since it's a Best Of and they reissue the first Femmes album constantly. Then out of nowhere, I found out it's coming tomorrow. I'm so exited to just walk into my local store tomorrow and get a brand new pressing for $20ish! 

This is brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be ensuring I get a copy too.

Love the first VF album too, unfortunately my copy is ancient and has been listened to heavily over the years (and moved continents with me) and skips n' pops like a motherfucker. Need to replace that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

This is brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be ensuring I get a copy too.

Love the first VF album too, unfortunately my copy is ancient and has been listened to heavily over the years (and moved continents with me) and skips n' pops like a motherfucker. Need to replace that.

The good news about their first one is that it gets reissued all the time. It's cheap to get and sounds GREAT. 

I'm so stoked I got Add It Up earlier today. I'm gonna blast the hell out of it in about an hour. 

• Like 1