Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I've never seen that movie either! Everyone is always surprised when I say that. And yeah, people seem to be super excited for that release. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've never seen that movie either! Everyone is always surprised when I say that. And yeah, people seem to be super excited for that release. 

I was sent that link this morning and the summary I got about the movie was "Based on fact when 16 year old Cameron Crowe blagged a job on Rolling Stone in the 70's and ended up on the road with bands."

It actually sounds alright, I'll see if I can find the motivation to watch it tonight, but still incredibly hungover so I don't think I'll be doing much of anything today :lol:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I'm sure the original pressing of that goes for a lot. Think I saw a YouTube video on it.

What's the track listing of the new vinyl? 45 dollars seems chunky to me.

Not entirely sure that the additional content featured on the second disc is a guarantee to be included on the record, but it says on the site: CD 2 - Highlights from of the expanded soundtrack songs.

I just had a look and you're right enough, there was a promo pressing of it that seems highly sought after - $350 is the price on both listings on Discogs. Mental.

The Faces records I ordered arrived. They're all in top nick, though there is writing inside the gatefold of the self titled effort from one of the previous owners to one of his flames "with all my love -" :lol:

Will hopefully get playing them over the weekend. Have a great weekend folks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean said:

The Faces records I ordered arrived. They're all in top nick, though there is writing inside the gatefold of the self titled effort from one of the previous owners to one of his flames "with all my love -" :lol:

Will hopefully get playing them over the weekend. Have a great weekend folks!

Honestly, I love finding that kind of stuff on or inside records. There's been more than a few times when I've wondered about the history of the used records I've bought. Sometimes those little notes and things are a small window into that. 

• Like 2

Thanks Russ for the recommendation of adding anti-static inner sleeves to my records. I didn't think of the paper sleeves potentially causing scratches. My wallet on the other hand doesn't thank you as much xD. Plus while adding sleeves I discovered my vinyl copy of Scorpions Tokyo Tapes came with copies of their 50th anniversary deluxe CD. Didn't know it was included with the Vinyl! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, ToonGuns said:

Picked up an original late 60's Dave Brubeck album off ebay this week for £5 including posting. Seller claims it is "very good plus" so we will see...

This vinyl arrived. It plays fine, some minor pops for the first track but if anything it adds to the vinyl charm. I discovered that this is in fact a 1958 original pressing worth £20-£30 (according to Discogs) so chuffed I got this for £5. The music itself is excellent.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Thanks Russ for the recommendation of adding anti-static inner sleeves to my records. I didn't think of the paper sleeves potentially causing scratches. My wallet on the other hand doesn't thank you as much xD. Plus while adding sleeves I discovered my vinyl copy of Scorpions Tokyo Tapes came with copies of their 50th anniversary deluxe CD. Didn't know it was included with the Vinyl! 

You're welcome and I'm sorry haha. 

I ran out this morning to grab the Mammoth WVH 2 LP set. I was irritated that it was $37.99 then I got a super pleasant surprise when I got to the register. 

Tomorrow is my birthday and a friend called ahead to leave a $50 gift card for me at the record store. So I ended up getting the album as a birthday present :)

• Like 1

Went to one of my local stores this morning for RSD. Big jazz fan so picked up a few jazz releases and some other bits and bobs:

- Art Blakey & Messengers 

- Chet Baker - Cool Cat

- Mansun - Seven EP

- Chicago Blues Today (3LP mega limited boxset)

- Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny 

Also had to pick up some stuff from Amazon so added a vinyl to top up to free postage:

David Gilmour - On An Island

• Like 1

Unsure what to expect with this Elton record but props to whoever designed that cover. This was my first proper RSD actually going to a store, I’d usually hold off and pick up left overs online if I was interested in anything but definitely happy with The Mats and Elton - I shouldn’t have bought that Stones 10”. 

6BC775B3-315B-4AB5-A45A-AB59E074C604.jpeg.dfb66acedace4b385098d07a3ba6b66c.jpeg

• Like 2

Totally forgot today was the first RSD drop, and I think everything I was after dropped today. But I was after the Stones 10", AC/DC pic disc, and the RATM LP and at 4000, 5000, and 12350 copy runs respectively, I think I'll probably be fine to go tomorrow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dean said:

Unsure what to expect with this Elton record but props to whoever designed that cover. This was my first proper RSD actually going to a store, I’d usually hold off and pick up left overs online if I was interested in anything but definitely happy with The Mats and Elton - I shouldn’t have bought that Stones 10”. 

6BC775B3-315B-4AB5-A45A-AB59E074C604.jpeg.dfb66acedace4b385098d07a3ba6b66c.jpeg

I've fallen into the trap of buying picture discs at RSD on a whim and instantly regretted it later that same day. Have a Dio one from last year, £20, think I've played it once. Might sell it actually.

What's the Replacements one like? Never really got into them / heard much. Not really a Tommy fan (as a person) so that's always put me off.

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Totally forgot today was the first RSD drop, and I think everything I was after dropped today. But I was after the Stones 10", AC/DC pic disc, and the RATM LP and at 4000, 5000, and 12350 copy runs respectively, I think I'll probably be fine to go tomorrow.

I had the RATM on my list as well but decided against it in the store... the jazz albums I picked up were much more limited (one was only 300 copies). I'll get it in maybe 6 months when the price has dropped.

That's one thing that winds me up about RSD mind... everything is always £20 too expensive compared to standard releases.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I've fallen into the trap of buying picture discs at RSD on a whim and instantly regretted it later that same day. Have a Dio one from last year, £20, think I've played it once. Might sell it actually.

What's the Replacements one like? Never really got into them / heard much. Not really a Tommy fan (as a person) so that's always put me off.

I wasn't expecting it to be a picture disc to be fair, it was quite last minute when I seen what was available and wrongly assumed it may have been a complete live album (how naïve eh?!) but when the fella put it down, I instantly regretted it. Sure, I could have just said no thanks, but fuck it, just took it anyway. I'd recommend sitting on that Dio one for another year or two if there isn't much budge on the price, look on Discogs though and see what it goes for on eBay too, as I'd imagine that'll be something that'll inflate considerably with time. 

I've not given it a spin yet mate, but will get back to you. I love the original album, give Can't Hardly Wait a play when you can, I'd say it's the best on the album, see if it does anything for you. I love the stuff The Mats put out and also a big fan of Tommy's solo work, it could even be argued that he's got the best solo catalogue out of all the Guns alumni. I've definitely read a lot of folk bumping into him and being really disappointed, but as Costello says (an arsehole himself according to my newphew's Granda who has everything he's ever done - it wasn't all bad though, ended up sharing a bottle of Blue Nun with Shane MacGowan :lol:) - "trust the art, not the artist".

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1