Jump to content

Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not technically "vinyl" which I know is most of the chatter on this thread, but did anyone hear about the mess up with the Motley Crue cassette box set for RSD... the idiots put a magnet in the packag

Finally got around to picking up the latest from Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats today.  Also grabbed the new Tedeschi Trucks that came out today. 

I caved and caved hard:  

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Not technically "vinyl" which I know is most of the chatter on this thread, but did anyone hear about the mess up with the Motley Crue cassette box set for RSD... the idiots put a magnet in the packaging which is wiping all the cassettes!!! Seriously appalling QA control, and hilarious 😀

This is gold, love it. Particularly as I imagine most involved probably barely remember cassettes or perhaps have even ever used one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Not technically "vinyl" which I know is most of the chatter on this thread, but did anyone hear about the mess up with the Motley Crue cassette box set for RSD... the idiots put a magnet in the packaging which is wiping all the cassettes!!! Seriously appalling QA control, and hilarious 😀

Jesus Christ.....how ridiculous but it serves them right for such a ridiculous product anyway 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad is and was a HUGE music buff his whole life.  He had to constantly "upgrade" from each format to the next since the 50s.

Well in the 80s, he was all about cassettes.  He had THOUSANDS of them.  (My dad has every song that ever hit the Billboard Hot 100....he was incredibly proud of that.  Unfortunately, the invention of the internet has made that accomplishment pretty meaningless but it's possible he still has a few here and there that aren't on youtube.)

 

Anyway, the point to all my rambling is that he had so many cassettes and was constantly taping and re-taping that he actually required a big ass electric magnet to instantly mass-erase tapes.   I think the stupid thing is still in his garage.

 

Of course kids today have no idea that magnets will wipe out a tape...most of them have never actually USED tapes!!

 

(If you wanna hear some of my dad's rare shit, which I doubt, cause it's mostly doo wop, here's his site:)

https://www.songsyoushouldhaveheard.com/spotlight-song

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a couple used records off of amazon, yesterday one of the records I've been searching for over the last 5 years arrived in the mail. Scorpions - In Trance, at long last is spinning and wow is it a surreal experience to hear it from vinyl. Amazing album and I'm glad my first few used records from amazon have been top quality. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Bought a couple used records off of amazon, yesterday one of the records I've been searching for over the last 5 years arrived in the mail. Scorpions - In Trance, at long last is spinning and wow is it a surreal experience to hear it from vinyl. Amazing album and I'm glad my first few used records from amazon have been top quality. 

I went on a spree years ago of tracking down grails and yeah, it's such a great feeling when you finally hear it. The last one I got was Page/Plant - Walking Into Clarksdale some time last year. I'd almost forgotten what the feeling was like. I've got a few more out there I'd like to find. Maybe I should track them down.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Baz is not a fan of the Slave To The Grind reissue... :lol:

 

 

I saw that video and I'm not sure what to make of it. I have an original pressing and that RSD reissue. They sound damn near the same to me. 

Also, I found out that my original pressing of it sounds WAY better than Bachs lol. Mine is super quiet. I couldn't believe it when he dropped the needle and there was so much pops and clicks. I would have guessed he of all people would have a decent copy! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Baz is not a fan of the Slave To The Grind reissue... :lol:

 

 

yeah that &quot typo is pretty sad.

I noticed that right when I got it and was a little shocked at what shitty proofing gets done. Typos happen but having what is essentially like code from a website on the credits is pretty bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I saw that video and I'm not sure what to make of it. I have an original pressing and that RSD reissue. They sound damn near the same to me. 

Also, I found out that my original pressing of it sounds WAY better than Bachs lol. Mine is super quiet. I couldn't believe it when he dropped the needle and there was so much pops and clicks. I would have guessed he of all people would have a decent copy! 

 

I haven't heard the reissues, but my old copies of Slave To The Grind and the s/t Skid Row album sound great.

Baz seems like the kind of guy that plays the hell out of his own albums, so I'm not too surprised his copy sounds rough now :lol:

 

4 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

yeah that &quot typo is pretty sad.

I noticed that right when I got it and was a little shocked at what shitty proofing gets done. Typos happen but having what is essentially like code from a website on the credits is pretty bad.

 

Yea it's weird that something so obvious got missed, especially when it seemed like they put some effort into the gatefold and packaging...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

I haven't heard the reissues, but my old copies of Slave To The Grind and the s/t Skid Row album sound great.

Baz seems like the kind of guy that plays the hell out of his own albums, so I'm not too surprised his copy sounds rough now 

I play my records constantly and none of them sound anywhere near that poppy & clicky lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Space is really becoming an issue. I think I hear Ikea calling my name this weekend...:lol:

Still haven't found time to play The Mats and the Staines 10" single I picked up from RSD, but I really enjoyed the Elton effort. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't released to begin with, as there are a few tracks that are stellar efforts, especially considering that period of time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent some bday money and gift cards online yesterday. 

 

I ordered:

KMFDM - Angst 

Pink Floyd - Live At Knebworth 

Prince - Dirty Mind 

 

The KMFDM is one of my favorite albums of the 90s. It's never been on vinyl and I had no idea it was pressed recently. It was pressed to 3 different colors and limited to 1000 copies. I ordered standard black vinyl and I'm really excited to finally get it on vinyl. 

I wasn't going to buy the Floyd release but the combination of me being a completionist and having gift cards got to me and I caved lol. 

The Prince album is the only one I was missing. It's one that I always say I'm going to pick up but I never do. Again, the gift cards made it easy to just grab it finally. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Spent some bday money and gift cards online yesterday. 

 

I ordered:

KMFDM - Angst 

Pink Floyd - Live At Knebworth 

Prince - Dirty Mind 

 

The KMFDM is one of my favorite albums of the 90s. It's never been on vinyl and I had no idea it was pressed recently. It was pressed to 3 different colors and limited to 1000 copies. I ordered standard black vinyl and I'm really excited to finally get it on vinyl. 

I wasn't going to buy the Floyd release but the combination of me being a completionist and having gift cards got to me and I caved lol. 

The Prince album is the only one I was missing. It's one that I always say I'm going to pick up but I never do. Again, the gift cards made it easy to just grab it finally. 

I got Floyd for the same reason. It is still sealed in my vinyl tray... when will I learn?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I got Floyd for the same reason. It is still sealed in my vinyl tray... when will I learn?!

OH, I forgot to mention. Amazon had it for $35 last night. So even though I didn't technically pay for it, it still used way less of my gift card then I originally planned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Watched the "premiere" live 🙂👍

Thanks! I have to assume that helps the algorithm in some way :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was adding a few things into my collection on Discogs and noticed that the reissue I have of Daft Punk's Discovery has sky rocketed for some reason. I picked that up for £25 just before they broke up, but now it's going for £150, which is more expensive than the original 2001 pressing?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dean said:

I was adding a few things into my collection on Discogs and noticed that the reissue I have of Daft Punk's Discovery has sky rocketed for some reason. I picked that up for £25 just before they broke up, but now it's going for £150, which is more expensive than the original 2001 pressing?!

Daft Punk stuff is so odd that way. Pretty much any time one of their albums is even a little bit hard to find, it skyrockets in price. 

Their stuff is never really out of print but if there's a shortage of any kind, they go in up price quickly. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...