Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Thanks man! It's been a relief getting shit sorted this weekend - so I obviously treated myself to that pressing of Pet Sounds you mentioned on the channel, ha!

Oh, you're in for a treat. I didn't want to ramble on about that particular pressing in the video but I could have. It's far and away the best version of the album I've ever heard. 

• Like 1

Anyone have a vinyl cleaning machine? I'm thinking of getting one (that scratch on my copy of Quiet Kenny has prompted this), but prices seem ludicrous. You can pay £20 or £2000. Mental. I'm happy to buy a quality product but could never justify £2000. Any recommendations?

34 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Anyone have a vinyl cleaning machine? I'm thinking of getting one (that scratch on my copy of Quiet Kenny has prompted this), but prices seem ludicrous. You can pay £20 or £2000. Mental. I'm happy to buy a quality product but could never justify £2000. Any recommendations?

I have a VPI 16.5 record vacuum. I got it about 10 years ago and I love it. They're pricey, but if you're playing a long game with vinyl, they pay for themselves. 

Nothing out there (including high end ultrasonic cleaners) will fix actual scratches, but they can really clean out the grooves to make the record way more quiet. 

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

To be honest, I normally just make use of fiber cloths to give the records a wipe down before I play them, though I do have a cleaning kit from Big Fudge that I haven't yet used. I had my eyes on a contraption I seen on YouTube last year, I've just not gotten round to picking it up yet. 

The reviews seem to be decent and at £80, wouldn't break the bank, but I've seen similar looking kits for half of that - though may come with cheaper products, cloths etc. Scout the web and see what you can find, just don't break the bank, as you'll be sickened if it doesn't have the desired effect on your record. Make sure whatever you do go with has strong reviews too!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dean said:

To be honest, I normally just make use of fiber cloths to give the records a wipe down before I play them, though I do have a cleaning kit from Big Fudge that I haven't yet used. I had my eyes on a contraption I seen on YouTube last year, I've just not gotten round to picking it up yet. 

The reviews seem to be decent and at £80, wouldn't break the bank, but I've seen similar looking kits for half of that - though may come with cheaper products, cloths etc. Scout the web and see what you can find, just don't break the bank, as you'll be sickened if it doesn't have the desired effect on your record. Make sure whatever you do go with has strong reviews too!

Cheers. Yeah I had my eye on that Spin Clean machine too, seemed reasonably priced. Maybe too cheap? But reviews decent. If you get it give me a genuine review and I'll do the same.

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I have a VPI 16.5 record vacuum. I got it about 10 years ago and I love it. They're pricey, but if you're playing a long game with vinyl, they pay for themselves. 

Nothing out there (including high end ultrasonic cleaners) will fix actual scratches, but they can really clean out the grooves to make the record way more quiet. 

Cheers Russ. I know that the machines won't clean the scratches out but I'm now wondering if a bit of dust got inside the sleeve then micro-scratched the vinyl with moving around in my rack. Who knows?! Gonna check out the vacuum machine now...!

Edited by ToonGuns
Correction
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Cheers. Yeah I had my eye on that Spin Clean machine too, seemed reasonably priced. Maybe too cheap? But reviews decent. If you get it give me a genuine review and I'll do the same.

Cheers Russ. I know that the machines won't clean the scratches out but I'm now wondering if a bit of dust got inside the sleeve then micro-scratched the vinyl with moving around in my rack. Who knows?! Gonna check out the vacuum machine now...!

I've definitely fixed a lot of skips over the years with the vacuum. Exactly what you said is what happened. Just some sort of dust deep in the grooves that a brush couldn't get out.

Having said that, what @Deandoes and suggested (using a micro fiber cloth) could very well do the same thing for a lot less money. I was on the fence about how much I paid for the VPI for the first 5 years lol. It's been long enough now and I've cleaned enough records now that I feel justified, but it took a long time. 

The pressing I picked up of Rod Stewart's Unplugged and Seated a few months back was plagued with skips despite being visually sound, and with all the chatter in here about cleaning records, I thought I'd finally try that Big Fudge kit I was given (I checked it up and is under £25). Still a few crackles here and there, but it's not really noticeable until in between numbers, the difference is night and day for the most part and certainly isn't as bad as Baz's pressing of Slave to the Grind :lol: I can only assume something more up market would result in a much better sound and eliminate more of the crackles. 

For reference: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Fudge-Record-Cleaner-Kit/dp/B07DVSTBXM/ref=asc_df_B07DVSTBXM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=326390655273&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14236972948862881213&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007397&hvtargid=pla-710237983086&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dean said:

The pressing I picked up of Rod Stewart's Unplugged and Seated a few months back was plagued with skips despite being visually sound, and with all the chatter in here about cleaning records, I thought I'd finally try that Big Fudge kit I was given (I checked it up and is under £25). Still a few crackles here and there, but it's not really noticeable until in between numbers, the difference is night and day for the most part and certainly isn't as bad as Baz's pressing of Slave to the Grind :lol: I can only assume something more up market would result in a much better sound and eliminate more of the crackles. 

For reference: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Fudge-Record-Cleaner-Kit/dp/B07DVSTBXM/ref=asc_df_B07DVSTBXM/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=326390655273&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14236972948862881213&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007397&hvtargid=pla-710237983086&psc=1

NOTHING is as bad as the copy of Slave To The Gring Baz has haha. I swear, if he wasn't such a d-bag, I'd get in touch with him and send him my original pressing. The reissue sounds just fine to me and my OP is wayyyyyyyyy more quiet than his. However, everything I've heard from the media AND people who know him in real life is that his is a giant d-bag unfortunately. So in that case, my OP will sit right in my record bin lol

• Haha 1

How do you guys feel about buying from new users on Discogs? There's a new user with no feedback yet who has something listed I've been after at a very reasonable price - they've got lit listed for $30, average going price on Discogs is $65. It's a Blu Ray, not an LP, so it is something that might be more easily counterfeited. Unless I'm mistaken, PayPal would offer buyer protection in the event I buy it and receive a counterfeit copy, correct? So, is there really any downside to me taking a chance on this? 

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

How do you guys feel about buying from new users on Discogs? There's a new user with no feedback yet who has something listed I've been after at a very reasonable price - they've got lit listed for $30, average going price on Discogs is $65. It's a Blu Ray, not an LP, so it is something that might be more easily counterfeited. Unless I'm mistaken, PayPal would offer buyer protection in the event I buy it and receive a counterfeit copy, correct? So, is there really any downside to me taking a chance on this? 

Usually I would avoid it, as 9 times out of 10, it happens to be that it’s really rare and extortionate records they have up for sale. Check out his other listings and if they’re all fairly cheap, then $30 is an alright amount to take the gamble - even if it no shows, the effort of having to make a claim against the user to get the money back would be very time consuming. What I’d suggest if you do want to go for it, make the order, but don’t pay for it. Drop him a message asking if it’s definitely in stock and ask for pictures of the case or something, if he comes up with both, then it’ll be grand processing the payment 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Usually I would avoid it, as 9 times out of 10, it happens to be that it’s really rare and extortionate records they have up for sale. Check out his other listings and if they’re all fairly cheap, then $30 is an alright amount to take the gamble - even if it no shows, the effort of having to make a claim against the user to get the money back would be very time consuming. What I’d suggest if you do want to go for it, make the order, but don’t pay for it. Drop him a message asking if it’s definitely in stock and ask for pictures of the case or something, if he comes up with both, then it’ll be grand processing the payment 

That's a great suggestion. Just the way the seller communicates would probably tell you a lot about whether they'd be trustworthy or not. 

Side note, here's the latest video:

• GNFNR 2

I have about 5 copies of Shadow of Your Love on vinyl. 2 I technically bought myself, one upon it's release and the other that came in the Locked N' Loaded boxset. The rest all came as gifts for Christmas that year, ha! 

I just had Razorlight's self titled second album arrive. It came from Japan and had notes that there was some yellowing to the front cover, which is white, but it's barely noticeable and for the most part looks flawless! I've rediscovered my love of those cunts. Will need to catch them on their tour.

• Like 1

Picked up Boyz II Men - The Legacy yesterday. It's a 2 LP set with more stuff than I need by them, but it has everything I like including One Sweet Day. 

Side 1 has It's So Hard To Say Goodbye and End Of The Road back to back. Whomever made the track list is looking to make people sad lol

Picked up a few vinyls this week:

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Steven Wilson - To The Bone (this is a weird release as it only exists as a double 45rpm album)

Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe (both versions, the 2 disc and 3 disc versions - been on a bit of a Mike Portnoy / Neal Morse binge recently)

I purchased Johnny Borrell's solo album on eBay a few weeks back and it just arrived. I was expecting it to be second hand, but it was still sealed. Never have I had issues removing a record from it's inners. It's thick glossy paper that acted like a suction to the record and took a bit of effort to remove. When I fired it down onto the turntable to clean, upon picking it back up, the mat had stuck to the record. Absolutely mental and I now have the fear of giving it a play :lol:

• Wow 1

18 minutes ago, Dean said:

I purchased Johnny Borrell's solo album on eBay a few weeks back and it just arrived. I was expecting it to be second hand, but it was still sealed. Never have I had issues removing a record from it's inners. It's thick glossy paper that acted like a suction to the record and took a bit of effort to remove. When I fired it down onto the turntable to clean, upon picking it back up, the mat had stuck to the record. Absolutely mental and I now have the fear of giving it a play :lol:

Sounds like the record is just filled with static? If so, a carbon fiber brush should be able to help take care of that. They're cheap and when used right, can make a big difference. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Sounds like the record is just filled with static? If so, a carbon fiber brush should be able to help take care of that. They're cheap and when used right, can make a big difference. 

Yeah I believe so. I've given it a wipe down with the fiber cloth along with using the fiber brush that I have too with the spray, so will give it a play after work and see how it goes! 

• Like 1

I recently got the Margo Price 7" box set that was released. It's a neat little box and the singles come in a series of shipments, so it's a fun little thing.

RSD is this saturday again. I am going to try to get the April March Record and the St Vincent 7". The one release I REALLY wanted which was Joe Perry's solo album from a couple years ago got cancelled a couple months ago, so thats a bummer.

• Like 2

I bit the bullet and played Live Like A Suicide for the first time last night. Flawless throughout, which was a relief! Can’t imagine playing it again though haha. I’m hoping to start making use of the Wantlist on Discogs in the hope that it’ll make me more disciplined in regards to buying things in one go. It’s self control, I have none of it and I can only imagine Laura Brannigan wouldn’t be impressed.

• Haha 1

I just found out that there was a reissue of WU LYF's Go Tell Fire To The Mountain for RSD. I'm ill at the thought of the place I was at having it in stock, they did give me a list of everything they had, but it was so early in the morning that I was half asleep. I think I would've picked up on it though. Fuck! I just ordered it for about £20 more than what it retailed for, it was limited to 650 copies and I couldn't find it in stock elsewhere. At least it's ordered though. It was a sheer moment of panic ha!

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I bit the bullet and played Live Like A Suicide for the first time last night. Flawless throughout, which was a relief! Can’t imagine playing it again though haha. I’m hoping to start making use of the Wantlist on Discogs in the hope that it’ll make me more disciplined in regards to buying things in one go. It’s self control, I have none of it and I can only imagine Laura Brannigan wouldn’t be impressed.

I use Wantlist but I find it a bit annoying - I get a daily email of "new items for sale" which bombards my inbox and it is difficult to search through which are decent prices and / or available in the UK (they just get flagged if they are newly for sale). I'd advise using it sparingly, i.e. only for items that are very rare / you really want so you can keep a track of new listings and grab what you really want... as if you add everything you actually want to your wantlist it just quickly becomes overwhelming.

• Thanks 1

Need some help and as this is the only vinyl forum I'm on I'm coming here for help... over the past day or so I've noticed a drop off in audio quality from my vinyl. Slight, but noticeable. At first I wasnt sure if it was just my ears, but I've now convinced myself something is going on and I can't unhear it. The best way I can describe it is the sound is very slightly distorted, with the cymbals in particularly noticeably swooshier than normal, almost like inner ring distortion but all of the time. Any clue what it could be? Nothing in my set up has changed, and I've tested a few vinyls and get the same thing. I have a Rega Planar 1+ (the one with the built in preamp) linked straight to powered speakers (for space and budget purposes). 

1 hour ago, ToonGuns said:

Need some help and as this is the only vinyl forum I'm on I'm coming here for help... over the past day or so I've noticed a drop off in audio quality from my vinyl. Slight, but noticeable. At first I wasnt sure if it was just my ears, but I've now convinced myself something is going on and I can't unhear it. The best way I can describe it is the sound is very slightly distorted, with the cymbals in particularly noticeably swooshier than normal, almost like inner ring distortion but all of the time. Any clue what it could be? Nothing in my set up has changed, and I've tested a few vinyls and get the same thing. I have a Rega Planar 1+ (the one with the built in preamp) linked straight to powered speakers (for space and budget purposes). 

Any wild idea how many hours you have on your stylus? A worn out stylus is my first guess. 

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Any wild idea how many hours you have on your stylus? A worn out stylus is my first guess. 

Cheers Russ. I've had this particular player with an inbuilt stylus (Rega Carbon) since November. I'm working from home and play all the time, so maybe 2-3hrs per day on average factoring in zoom meetings etc when it is switched off. So I guess 300-400 hrs in total approx.