Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Cheers Russ. I've had this particular player with an inbuilt stylus (Rega Carbon) since November. I'm working from home and play all the time, so maybe 2-3hrs per day on average factoring in zoom meetings etc when it is switched off. So I guess 300-400 hrs in total approx.

OK. While it's not an exact science, i believe you should be able to get 800 - 1000 hours from any given stukus before you hear it starting to wear out. 

My next guess is that it's just dirty from regular use. If that's the case, I strongly recommend the Magic Eraser for cleaning it. 

You can spend tons of money of various stylus cleaners, but I swear, a regular old Magic Eraser is one of the best methods I've seen. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Need some help and as this is the only vinyl forum I'm on I'm coming here for help... over the past day or so I've noticed a drop off in audio quality from my vinyl. Slight, but noticeable. At first I wasnt sure if it was just my ears, but I've now convinced myself something is going on and I can't unhear it. The best way I can describe it is the sound is very slightly distorted, with the cymbals in particularly noticeably swooshier than normal, almost like inner ring distortion but all of the time. Any clue what it could be? Nothing in my set up has changed, and I've tested a few vinyls and get the same thing. I have a Rega Planar 1+ (the one with the built in preamp) linked straight to powered speakers (for space and budget purposes). 

I reckon what Russ says is on the button. Take a look at the needle, can you see any debris at the end of it? That happened to me last year, turned out that it was just a bit of oose that had stuck onto the end of the needle, miniscule in size, but a big impact. Hopefully it's something minor anyway, keep us posted!

• Like 2

Ok so I've got one of these stylus brushes: https://www.spincare.co.uk/products/professional-carbon-fibre-stylus-cleaning-brush-for-turntables-record-players

I gave the stylus a clean today and I "think" that's fixed it. Gonna check out a few more vinyls tomorrow. I'm not sure I can hear anything bad now but I keep second guessing myself as I'm now almost looking for stuff.

I did notice a distinct buzzing today though, but that's possibly my cheapy speakers and their proximity to the player. I can see how audiophiles start... the eternal chase for perfection, jeez.

Cheers for the help guys.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

49 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Anyone doing RSD tomorrow? I have my eye on a few of the jazz releases, and Mr Big.

I'm out for this one for a couple of reasons. They only things I wanted were the Kings X and Mr Big relesess. Both of which are supposed to be delayed, from what I heard.

On top of that, my wife and I have a road trip for a concert planned tomorrow. I'm hoping to hear more on if/when the Mr Big & Kings X stuff will be available 

56 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm out for this one for a couple of reasons. They only things I wanted were the Kings X and Mr Big relesess. Both of which are supposed to be delayed, from what I heard.

On top of that, my wife and I have a road trip for a concert planned tomorrow. I'm hoping to hear more on if/when the Mr Big & Kings X stuff will be available 

Ah... hadn't heard Mr Big was delayed. Will head in anyway and let you know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Ah... hadn't heard Mr Big was delayed. Will head in anyway and let you know.

Right on. I have a couple of 7" singles from Lean Into It but I definitely want the whole 12" album if I can get it. 

There's a bunch of confusion around Mr Big right now. There's supposedly a 7" box for Lean Into It AND a 12" reissue of the album. 

I would much rather have the 12" but now both are supposedly delayed and no one knows for sure lol. 

In better news, I finally got the reissue of Black Sabbath - Mob Rules just now. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right on. I have a couple of 7" singles from Lean Into It but I definitely want the whole 12" album if I can get it. 

There's a bunch of confusion around Mr Big right now. There's supposedly a 7" box for Lean Into It AND a 12" reissue of the album. 

I would much rather have the 12" but now both are supposedly delayed and no one knows for sure lol. 

In better news, I finally got the reissue of Black Sabbath - Mob Rules just now. 

amoeba released their list and it has what's delayed and cancelled and what not...

RSD2021_RSD717MENU_9.pdf

• Thanks 1

My local store did not have any Mr Big - they didnt know what had happened to it but had not been informed it had been pulled (although had been advised of other delays). Must be in high demand though - my store is down south and they were taking calls from people as far north as Glasgow looking for it. All the big sites have pulled their listings so clearly there was an issue with it. I know the Matt Bellamy one was also held up in customs.

One of the other titles I was after, Charlie Parker, was also delayed. And a couple of the other jazz releases I was after were also nowhere to be seen... I'm wondering if there are very limited copies in UK. Ah well.

Overall RSD was hit and miss for me due to the above. I did pick up 3 of the records I wanted though which was good:

- Ron Carter (signed, limited)

- Foo Fighters / Dee Gees

- Miles Davis

The shop I travelled too early this morning (5am) was missing Charles Lloyd Live at Ronnie Scott's but I walked into another shop near me at 4.45pm tonight on the off chance and they had one copy left! So all good.

But... on a whim I made a impulse buy of another Miles Davis release which was a France only RSD release that had been sent to my UK store by accident. They only had one copy so figured I'd take a chance... but regret it. One for the sale pile.

• Like 2

Knocked another one off my all time want list. 

Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows is something I've wanted on vinyl forever. Around this time last year, a company called eOne Heavy finally pressed it but they only made 500 copies and I missed out on it. 

They were going for $300+ on Discogs and I just refused to pay that, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I was going to live without it. 

I got a text from a friend yesterday morning saying that they announced they made 500 more and they were open for purchase right now. So I jumped right on it and managed to get one. 

It was shipped today and will probably make it here in time for my Friday night spin. I'm so stoked. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Knocked another one off my all time want list. 

Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows is something I've wanted on vinyl forever. Around this time last year, a company called eOne Heavy finally pressed it but they only made 500 copies and I missed out on it. 

They were going for $300+ on Discogs and I just refused to pay that, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I was going to live without it. 

I got a text from a friend yesterday morning saying that they announced they made 500 more and they were open for purchase right now. So I jumped right on it and managed to get one. 

It was shipped today and will probably make it here in time for my Friday night spin. I'm so stoked. 

Love that album, and Pride and Glory. Wish Zakk had done more stuff along that style. "Cock rock Pearl Jam" was how we referred to Book of Shadows at university as my mates thought the vocals sounded a little like Eddie.

The UK store had some black splatter versions left... so also ordered one. Used to have it on CD back in the day so this helps brings me back to my youth!

• Like 1

Just now, ToonGuns said:

Love that album, and Pride and Glory. Wish Zakk had done more stuff along that style. "Cock rock Pearl Jam" was how we referred to Book of Shadows at university as my mates thought the vocals sounded a little like Eddie.

The UK store had some black splatter versions left... so also ordered one. Used to have it on CD back in the day so this helps brings me back to my youth!

Nice, glad you got in on it too! 

I have the first Pride & Glory album on vinyl and Book of Shadows II (which I'm not a big fan of) but I've always wanted the first Book. So I'm so stoked it's finally on the way. I always wished Zakk would do more stuff like that too. 

Stopped in to a record store this morning to fill a couple of holes in the collection:

Linda Ronstadt - Simple Dreams

Linda Ronstadt - Heart Like A Wheel

Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material

T. Rex - Electric Warrior (Kevin Gray master) 

• Like 1

Had some vouchers from work, so I picked up

David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Low and Heroes

The Replacements - Don't Tell a Soul

and pre-ordered the new Manic's album. Orwellian is all over the radio at the minute and is a dastardly ear worm!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Another excellent video Russ! I really identify with the completionist feeling when it comes to Vinyl, I'm in that boat with the studio albums of CCR only one I don't have is Mardi Gras and I don't enjoy it but having a complete set would be cool as well.

Thank you very much! Growing the channel is such a gring, but I'm keeping at it. Every comment, like and nice thing said is very motivational, so thank you again :)

I actually have a whole separate video coming about being a completionist in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Amazon are normally great for their packaging, but I had an LP arrive in what I would say was similar to a paper bag with no protection for the LP inside it at all. Surprisingly, there is no dings but will need to find time to play it tomorrow and make sure it's grand in that regard too.