Jump to content

Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion


RussTCB

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Amazon are normally great for their packaging, but I had an LP arrive in what I would say was similar to a paper bag with no protection for the LP inside it at all. Surprisingly, there is no dings but will need to find time to play it tomorrow and make sure it's grand in that regard too.

I haven't had that packaging from Amazon in a while. Years ago, nearly everything from them showed up that way. Having said that, I have albums showing up from Amazon today & tomorrow, so I'm sure at least one of then will be packaged that way lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I haven't had that packaging from Amazon in a while. Years ago, nearly everything from them showed up that way. Having said that, I have albums showing up from Amazon today & tomorrow, so I'm sure at least one of then will be packaged that way lol 

I really can't believe that has been normal practice for them! That said, it's maybe came from the US as it was The Mats record I ordered which was pressed over there. Who knows?! Hopefully all will be grand!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Added to my Porcupine Tree collection this week:

- 2021 reissue of The Incident 

- 2021 reissue of Fear of a Blank Planet 

- Lightbulb Sun

- On the Sunday of Life

I'm a huge fan of Gavin Harrison so prefer the later stuff but love anything Steven Wilson. On the reissues I had been tempted to fork out for some of the earlier editions but settled for these new 2021 versions which I'm sure will be fine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, ToonGuns said:

Added to my Porcupine Tree collection this week:

- 2021 reissue of The Incident 

- 2021 reissue of Fear of a Blank Planet 

- Lightbulb Sun

- On the Sunday of Life

I'm a huge fan of Gavin Harrison so prefer the later stuff but love anything Steven Wilson. On the reissues I had been tempted to fork out for some of the earlier editions but settled for these new 2021 versions which I'm sure will be fine.

Hmm, once they become available on amazon I'll probably nab those! I can't afford to pay 60+ bucks for shipping.  But it is good to know they are reissuing their albums.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, The Dissident said:

Hmm, once they become available on amazon I'll probably nab those! I can't afford to pay 60+ bucks for shipping.  But it is good to know they are reissuing their albums.

Should be on Amazon soon I guess. It's Transmission Records (PT's own label I think) that is reissuing them, and Burning Shed store (which I really like) selling them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've bought a lot of shite over the last few days haha. I picked up a signed copy of Razorlight's Olympus Sleeping - one of the labels on the pressing I had was bubbled, and paying only £15 for Borrell and David Ellis' signature on a copy that was grand, I didn't mind. That said, my copy played perfectly fine, but just thought I'd pick it up seen as Borrell is back with the classic line up. I picked up a few other singles and Slipway Fires from Razorlight too - they'd probably be classed as a guilty pleasure these days, plus the wide spread opinion of Borrell in the UK is that he is a wank. 

Steve Perry's Street Talk

Paul Simon's Graceland

John Doc at Hastie's Farm

The Replacements' All Shook Down

Three Queen reissues of Live at the Bowl, Montreal and Wembley. These were only released in Italy and Japan by Virgin Records and over 2019/2020 were released in Spain too. This is overseen by Queen Productions so very much are official. I'll be curious to see if they eventually hit the UK.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also forgot - Future Islands' Wave Like Home. Now have every album they've put out. What a fucking band. Seeing them twice next year and will be my first gigs since this pandemic took a hold on us all, that's if nothing pops up nearer the end of the year which is unlikely. A lot of listening to be done over the weekend!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday was the start of my two week holiday. I had the evening to myself, so I chilled out and made my way through 5 of my latest purchases. I'm hard pressed to pick what my favourite era of Bowie is. His Berlin years were incredibly productive and produced great songs, but the instrumentals on Low and Heroes do absolutely nothing for me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Yesterday was the start of my two week holiday. I had the evening to myself, so I chilled out and made my way through 5 of my latest purchases. I'm hard pressed to pick what my favourite era of Bowie is. His Berlin years were incredibly productive and produced great songs, but the instrumentals on Low and Heroes do absolutely nothing for me.

I'm behind on getting to listen to my new releases. I had a much busier weekend then I expected and I had no time to spin anything. I'm very much looking forward to this Friday when I can play through all my recent pick ups. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mats All Shook Down and pressed on red vinyl. One left in stock and under a tenner:

All Shook Down [VINYL] - Amazon.co.uk - unsure if it'll be the same price over the pond, but worthwhile checking!

It'll forever hold a special place in my heart, as I'm not long in the door and Royal Mail aren't really good for leaving your items at a safe place, they'll make you collect from the depot on the next working day, so I had initially dreaded seeing the slip through the letter box. Sure enough, I was greeted with this haha. A first, normally every other mail provider would just leave it at the back door. What a laugh. Saved me a trip so I'm not complaining!!

40-F6-C3-D5-35-AA-4758-8-B35-0-C2-F120-D5465

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played HIStory for the first time in a little while, gave it a good clean and it has now successfully sorted out all of the skips that it was plagued with when I first got it. The fiber brush and spray really does do wonders. I've yet to come across a record as beat up as that was when I first got it though, granted it now plays VG+ as it was originally advertised, but that didn't look at all possible when I first glanced at it. It also pissed me off that the HMV sticker with £17.99 was still on it, as it was a reminder I'd paid near enough 8 x that amount, so I managed to remove it without leaving any residue, which I thought was impressive for a 26 year old sticker! Small victories!

I got through a few albums tonight. Rod Stewart's Gasoline Alley, The Mats' All Shook Down, Chinese Democracy (seemed appropriate) and finally a bit of Jackson. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Dean said:

I played HIStory for the first time in a little while, gave it a good clean and it has now successfully sorted out all of the skips that it was plagued with when I first got it. The fiber brush and spray really does do wonders. I've yet to come across a record as beat up as that was when I first got it though, granted it now plays VG+ as it was originally advertised, but that didn't look at all possible when I first glanced at it. It also pissed me off that the HMV sticker with £17.99 was still on it, as it was a reminder I'd paid near enough 8 x that amount, so I managed to remove it without leaving any residue, which I thought was impressive for a 26 year old sticker! Small victories!

I got through a few albums tonight. Rod Stewart's Gasoline Alley, The Mats' All Shook Down, Chinese Democracy (seemed appropriate) and finally a bit of Jackson. 

I know you know this, but I love HIStory so much. I'm the same way on the price btw. I got mine sealed and it still have the $24.99 price on it while I was handing the guy over $100 for it lol. 

Side note, years ago someone gave me a sealed copy of HIStory on cassette. I left it sealed since it don't have the means to play cassettes. It's on display in my music room and it's still got the sale sticker on it too

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I know you know this, but I love HIStory so much. I'm the same way on the price btw. I got mine sealed and it still have the $24.99 price on it while I was handing the guy over $100 for it lol. 

Side note, years ago someone gave me a sealed copy of HIStory on cassette. I left it sealed since it don't have the means to play cassettes. It's on display in my music room and it's still got the sale sticker on it too

It's a masterpiece and I'm quite saddened I never realised the second half of it was all new material until this point in my life haha. If it wasn't for your podcast and your YouTube videos, I'd still be none the wiser! Massive thanks to you guys for showing us all a lot of great music.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My copies of Street Talk and Graceland appeared today. They were still in their original packaging to protect the cover, but split at the sides to remove the record itself. I've not known anyone to do that, but it really has preserved the glossy artwork, it's pristine. The seller I bought from appears to have done it to all of their records over the years too. My copy of An Old Raincoat Won't Ever Let You Down arrived today too, so that's me sorted for the start of Rod's solo career all the way through to the end of the 70's, bar Foot Loose and Fancy Free - I'll pick that up at some point. 

I was meant to go and see a band called Cigarettes After Sex last year, but the show got cancelled. I listened to their debut effort around the time prior to the show cancelling, so I found that for £15 so pulled the trigger on that, along with their follow up called Cry. Their described on Wikipedia as being 'Dream Pop', they're really synth heavy but some of their stuff is alright. A few Guns 7" singles ordered too and naturally, I picked up those Sam Cooke records!!

A lot of listening to get done, but I'm stocked up on beer, so it's all good!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a box full of 7" singles up in the loft that I never really took the time to sit through. Spent a bit of last night cataloguing them all and giving them a clean. They are mostly made up of records that my old dear and Aunty had back in the day, a couple of gems in a pile that ranges from The Cult to David Cassidy :lol: Here's a list of some of them

SCRN.png.d6eea2fe4f2e70cd120607b61d095093.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, Dean said:

My copies of Street Talk and Graceland appeared today. They were still in their original packaging to protect the cover, but split at the sides to remove the record itself. I've not known anyone to do that, but it really has preserved the glossy artwork, it's pristine. The seller I bought from appears to have done it to all of their records over the years too.

I do that with all my purchases. Did you buy off ebay? I bought off a big ebay seller who seemed to do that too.

Need ABSURD on 7"....

  • Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

I do that with all my purchases. Did you buy off ebay? I bought off a big ebay seller who seemed to do that too.

Need ABSURD on 7"....

Naa mate, picked those up from Discogs!

We definitely need Absurd released, my fear is that it'll be an exclusive to the Nightrain members. Don't think I'm prepared to sign up for £40 then pay another premium on top of that for the single. Let's hope I'm wrong though!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They're gonna get whatever money they ask outta me for an Absurd 7"

Dammit. Lol

A chap in the main thread suggested that Absurd may only be an Internet release, and when the main single for the album drops, will get a physical release with Absurd acting as the B side, which is what happened with Shacklers. Sounds like a possibility, especially if we don't hear anything about a physical release in the next week or two

  • ABSUЯD 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...