Vinyl LP and Turntable Discussion

RussTCB

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers' By The Way was out of stock on Amazon, but it let me buy one for £14.99. I figured it'd just get cancelled or something, but I received an email this morning saying delivery is early October! A stellar record for £14.99 is an absolute steal!

One of their best!

• ABSUЯD 1

I went into my local record store today to hunt for a few old Scottish records. I came out empty handed and boiling with rage haha. I had messaged the fella that runs it a few weeks back asking about a record from the first RSD drop, he said he'd get back to me and never did - expected behavior to be honest. Sure enough, I clocked it on my way out. I paid a slight premium on it for what it retailed for, but at least it never went in that ball sack's til!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I went into my local record store today to hunt for a few old Scottish records. I came out empty handed and boiling with rage haha. I had messaged the fella that runs it a few weeks back asking about a record from the first RSD drop, he said he'd get back to me and never did - expected behavior to be honest. Sure enough, I clocked it on my way out. I paid a slight premium on it for what it retailed for, but at least it never went in that ball sack's til!

I had a really bad experience at my first store a few weeks back. Like if I were a new customer, I wouldn't have gone back. 

I talked it over with the owner the next time I was in there. He knows I'm not the type to complain for no reason, so he heard where I was coming from. 

In any case, he must've ripped the guy who waited on me a new asshole because next time I was in, the guy who pissed me off was falling all over himself to help me. I kinda felt like a dick for complaining lol

• Like 2

Quite a bit of action on this forum recently which is great to see!

The first Transatlantic album got delivered last week so had that on spin when working yesterday - great. They remind me of a more modern Pink Floyd a little.

I've thrown a few bids on some used Ted Nugent on ebay this week as well, went low as unsure of quality but you never know, fingers crossed...

• Like 2

I've been listening to a lot of one of the singers that done the rounds up here in a lot of the Social Clubs that were supported by the Miners from the 60's, 70's and beyond. There is little of his songs (all covers) on the Internet, so no way for the generation that adored him to listen to his music unless they still have a record player, which is unlikely, so I took it upon myself to upload them and got a really good reception for doing so by the communities I posted them in. This isn't a direct link to any video, but rather a YouTube search if any of you are curious - it's definitely an acquired taste, but I recommend going for My Way and Spanish Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=john+doc+hasties

He has at least another 2 records that I'm aware of out there, and on my posts, I made note that if anyone had them sitting in a loft and didn't intend on using them, I'd happily buy them and upload for all to hear. Following this, I thanked the gentleman that motivated me to go through this effort.

It was an overwhelming response, and I ended up getting a few private messages, 3 of which stood out. An old dear messaged me saying what a great thing I had done and offered me the record she had for nothing (turned out it was one I had already uploaded), but I thought a lot of that. The other two messages were from two other fellas, both telling me that the fella I had thanked in my post, had previous with their Mothers :lol::lol::lol:

Tremendous!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 8/14/2021 at 9:08 PM, Dean said:

I've been listening to a lot of one of the singers that done the rounds up here in a lot of the Social Clubs that were supported by the Miners from the 60's, 70's and beyond. There is little of his songs (all covers) on the Internet, so no way for the generation that adored him to listen to his music unless they still have a record player, which is unlikely, so I took it upon myself to upload them and got a really good reception for doing so by the communities I posted them in. This isn't a direct link to any video, but rather a YouTube search if any of you are curious - it's definitely an acquired taste, but I recommend going for My Way and Spanish Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=john+doc+hasties

He has at least another 2 records that I'm aware of out there, and on my posts, I made note that if anyone had them sitting in a loft and didn't intend on using them, I'd happily buy them and upload for all to hear. Following this, I thanked the gentleman that motivated me to go through this effort.

It was an overwhelming response, and I ended up getting a few private messages, 3 of which stood out. An old dear messaged me saying what a great thing I had done and offered me the record she had for nothing (turned out it was one I had already uploaded), but I thought a lot of that. The other two messages were from two other fellas, both telling me that the fella I had thanked in my post, had previous with their Mothers :lol::lol::lol:

Tremendous!

A little update on this. I had an hour and a half phone call with the fella I had thanked on my social media posts last night and he essentially schooled me on the 'Clubland' entertainment scene that was thriving in the UK in the 60's and 70's. There was a lot of stories shared about John Doc's talent, his habit of no shows and struggle to adjust with the sudden impact that introduction of Karaoke had in that sort of game in the mid 80's and how he dealt with the decline in demand (essentially ditched his live band and went solo, relying on MIDI files). I found it incredibly fascinating and he thanked me for my efforts in putting The Doc's music up on the net, to which he's now sending me the two records I didn't have of his in return for me putting everything onto CD's for him. Fair deal! 

It might sound daft, but it felt really rewarding doing this. The audience that would have been attending these shows back in the day will all be well into their 70's and beyond, so it's allowing those of that generation to hear the voice that will take them back to their youth, especially if they've no means of playing his records any more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dean said:

A little update on this. I had an hour and a half phone call with the fella I had thanked on my social media posts last night and he essentially schooled me on the 'Clubland' entertainment scene that was thriving in the UK in the 60's and 70's. There was a lot of stories shared about John Doc's talent, his habit of no shows and struggle to adjust with the sudden impact that introduction of Karaoke had in that sort of game in the mid 80's and how he dealt with the decline in demand (essentially ditched his live band and went solo, relying on MIDI files). I found it incredibly fascinating and he thanked me for my efforts in putting The Doc's music up on the net, to which he's now sending me the two records I didn't have of his in return for me putting everything onto CD's for him. Fair deal! 

It might sound daft, but it felt really rewarding doing this. The audience that would have been attending these shows back in the day will all be well into their 70's and beyond, so it's allowing those of that generation to hear the voice that will take them back to their youth, especially if they've no means of playing his records any more. 

This is such an awesome story and I love how you're thinking about it. You're able to give a bunch of strangers a gift through the power of music. When people ask why I love the power of music so much, this is exactly the type of thing I try to explain. 

• GNFNR 1

Ended up biting the bullet and went for that Black Label Society mega boxset. The entire discography over something like 17 vinyls, coloured editions, 50 page book and an exclusive album. As I'd ordered Book of Shadows I had a 15% discount code for joining their mailing list so ended up getting this for a good price, so chuffed.

Although i prefer Zakk's solo stuff and Pride and Glory I'm a big BLS fan, particularly the first 2 albums, Hangover Music, and the Order of the Black. Some of the other stuff (Mafia, Blessed Hellride in particular) I think suffered from poor production and a bang average drummer, but the riffs were always stellar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Ended up biting the bullet and went for that Black Label Society mega boxset. The entire discography over something like 17 vinyls, coloured editions, 50 page book and an exclusive album. As I'd ordered Book of Shadows I had a 15% discount code for joining their mailing list so ended up getting this for a good price, so chuffed.

Although i prefer Zakk's solo stuff and Pride and Glory I'm a big BLS fan, particularly the first 2 albums, Hangover Music, and the Order of the Black. Some of the other stuff (Mafia, Blessed Hellride in particular) I think suffered from poor production and a bang average drummer, but the riffs were always stellar.

Awesome, I glad you got it. I'm not a huge fan of BLS but dammit, that's a bad ass looking boxed set. 

Lately I've had this minor obsession about listening to only high quality music with high dynamic range. And generally speaking, vinyl and early cd releases seem to be the highest dynamic ranges. Has anyone got the vinyl Chin democracy and can attest to its sound?  I use below website as my Bible in this matter. 

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Guns+n'+roses&album=Chinese+democracy+

18 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Lately I've had this minor obsession about listening to only high quality music with high dynamic range. And generally speaking, vinyl and early cd releases seem to be the highest dynamic ranges. Has anyone got the vinyl Chin democracy and can attest to its sound?  I use below website as my Bible in this matter. 

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Guns+n'+roses&album=Chinese+democracy+

I have a US and European pressing of Chinese Democracy and of course, I've got a YouTube video filmed that will be out soon on them. 

Having said that, the European pressings sound WORLDS better than the US pressings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have a US and European pressing of Chinese Democracy and of course, I've got a YouTube video filmed that will be out soon on them. 

Having said that, the European pressings sound WORLDS better than the US pressings. 

Thanks for that, I'll get a Euro pressing. Looking forward to seeing the YT vid. what's your YT name? 

13 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Thanks for that, I'll get a Euro pressing. Looking forward to seeing the YT vid. what's your YT name? 

Here's my channel & latest video. I put out now videos every Thursday and Saturday. Thursday videos are usually rare or special pressings I own. Saturday video are discussion topics:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My BFF got a a hold of a VERY hi-fi end turntable called a Trovatore. It was 6 grand. It looks really futuristic. Next best thing to a laser turntable and he equipped it with color changing LED lights. . Best thing is he runs a service called Digital Restoration Services. So yeah..., tax write off :)

Here is a demo of it.

• Wow 1

I managed to find some Record Store Day Exclusives through an online store for a record shop across the country, added in a couple other records to make the package. The haul arrived today:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (Record Store Day, Picture Disk)
Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules (Record Store Day, Picture Disk)
Judas Priest - British Steel (40th anniversary, Picture Disk)
Dream Theater - When Dream And Day Unite. 

• Like 1

F17D0772-D771-4C6E-A410-F7785AE02DA1.jpeg.2e9bd24e0cb1dd3c5d0dfe381b4cbbca.jpeg

! ! !

In all honesty, I’m sick of his voice at the minute as I’ve been transferring old cassettes, so I’ve not been able to bring myself to spin them as of yet! I’m still totally amazed that someone could be so generous. The fellas words were:

”When I fall off the spanner, they’ll just get put to the tip (waste management facility) anyway!”

I was blasting some Future Islands last night, so it was incredibly refreshing listening to normal music for a change. Work was really hectic, so I was accompanied by my good friend Jack Daniels. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t regret it this morning 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1