NCAA College Football Thread 2013

Ace Nova

Disappointed where conference realignment has left Cincinnati for now, but still excited to get the Tommy Tuberville era started. Should have a good shot at our fifth conference title in six years. Hoping the BCS berth comes down to the Louisville game the final week of the season. Would be a great way to end that conference rivalry.

Penn State won their first game of the season today, beating Syracuse, 23-17. True freshman QB Christian Hackenberg had a nice debut, going 22 of 31 for 278 with2 Td's. This is probably the best QB Penn State has had in years - will be nice to see them with a good QB for the next several years. :)

Don't have TV in the house so won't be able to watch much college football.

But I will gladly cheer for LSU if I get the opportunity to catch a game.

I was looking forward to the LSU-TCU game, but my power has been out most of the day.

Good start for Cincy--42-7 win over Purdue with our backup QB playing most of the game.

Seven FBS schools paid out a total of $2.375 million to lose to FCS teams this week: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9624936/seven-fcs-teams-pull-23m-upsets

Think I was most surprised by the 40-19 Eastern Illinois win over San Diego State. K-State was obviously a big surprise as well, but North Dakota State is at least an FCS powerhouse. SDSU is supposed to challenge for the MWC title and lost by three scores to an FCS team that won 7 games a year ago (and 2 games in each of the two years before that).

Edited by ronaldo9

Seven FBS schools paid out a total of $2.375 million to lose to FCS teams this week: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9624936/seven-fcs-teams-pull-23m-upsets

Think I was most surprised by the 40-19 Eastern Illinois win over San Diego State. K-State was obviously a big surprise as well, but North Dakota State is at least an FCS powerhouse. SDSU is supposed to challenge for the MWC title and lost by three scores to an FCS team that won 7 games a year ago (and 2 games in each of the two years before that).

I don't get this. Why do they have to pay them?

I don't get this. Why do they have to pay them?

Just the appearance fees that the home teams pay the visitors for agreeing to the games. Basically every out of conference game involves these fees (with a few exceptions, like some neutral site games, games that television networks set up, etc.). The fees aren't dependent on the final outcome--the visiting schools were getting paid either way--it's just funny to look at it from the perspective of the FBS teams essentially paying the smaller FCS schools a few $100k to embarrass them on their home field in games that they thought would be sure wins.

• 4 weeks later...

LSU vs. Georgia:

Man... .I want to pick 'The Dogs so bad,...but they just lost so much D.

I think Mettenberger is the real deal.

I think he is up there with McCarron, Manziel, and Murray, when talking top SEC QBs.

Just don't think Murray can overcome his D today. Should be a great one.

LSU: 35 GA: 31

Bama vs. Ole Miss

That Bo dude, that Ole Miss has at QB, does have the tools to beat the Tide.

If you look at Alabama's loses on this run ....one thing stands out.

The QB that beat them had an amazing day..career day.

Bo can do it, but I think this Ole Miss team is still a year away from really challenging for the West.

Bama: 42 Ole Miss:27

Edited by SunnyDRE

Sucks to be a fan of USC, Texas, and Nebraska right now.

I feel your pain.

Defensive coordinators were in this game.

Fuck my blood pressure is through the roof, what a game

South Carolina and LSU.

All of a sudden Murray is clutch..

Edited by SunnyDRE

South Carolina and LSU.

All of a sudden Murray is clutch..

Yeah, I didn't know what to think at the time. Initially i'd thought Georgia scored too soon and was sure LSU would at least get into field goal range for OT.

Big win though. Don't even wanna analyze the team any more right now, just wanna enjoy this W :lol:

The Air Force-Navy game has been cancelled for now (final decision coming Thursday), due to the government shutdown: http://www.9news.com/news/military/article/357797/664/Air-Force-football-feels-shutdown-hurt

While not the top priority, it's a shame as a college football fan--I always enjoy watching the service academies play each other.

The Army-Boston College game is also pending cancellation.

• 2 weeks later...