BANNER COMPETITION INSIDE - Design a new banner with the old, new or both bands

CoolRanchDressing

Definitely shouldn't be an amalgam of both bands. They don't really have anything to do with each other. Just use New GN'R.

Erm, what? Nu guns wouldn't exist without the band that made appetite-the uyis.

That actually holds true now more than ever.

I say use both incarnations to keep everyone happy. Or just variations of the logos throughout the years.

But just keeping it with guys who really haven't added any weight to the name is kinda asinine to me, and must make Joe Schmo either roll his eyes, or leaves him puzzled.

Like that last one the best, not an issue (imo) that Axl's looking the other way. Maybe helps him stand out a bit. I'd like to see you use a better Bumblefoot pic, other than that you're getting pretty close I think ...

Maybe something like this one?

sm7s.jpg

Edited by axlsalinger

Is a nice pic but I think he would look a bit silly smiling when everybody else is serious.

Sorum is there because the banner is out of place in the right part. But the idea is having the classic AFD lineup on the rigth side (except for Gilby) and the "nuGNR" on the left side (except for Sorum). That's why Izzy, Slash, Duff and Adler are together and Brian, Tobias, Finck and Bucket are together on the other side too. Gilby and Matt are on the edges because they aren't part of the AFD lineup and neither the "nuGNR" lineup, so I find kinda appropiate how they are placed now. If I place Sorum on the right part it could be also the UYI lineup with Gilby, but it would be too much people on the right side...

Is a nice pic but I think he would look a bit silly smiling when everybody else is serious.

Sorum is there because the banner is out of place in the right part. But the idea is having the classic AFD lineup on the rigth side (except for Gilby) and the "nuGNR" on the left side (except for Sorum). That's why Izzy, Slash, Duff and Adler are together and Brian, Tobias, Finck and Bucket are together on the other side too. Gilby and Matt are on the edges because they aren't part of the AFD lineup and neither the "nuGNR" lineup, so I find kinda appropiate how they are placed now. If I place Sorum on the right part it could be also the UYI lineup with Gilby, but it would be too much people on the right side...

Oh ok.. I get it... Good idea.. But maybe a more recent pic of Adler would be better... I post this one but it could be another one.

0000052818_20081010131555.jpg

I know that since the dawn of the forum, the mods have tried to be supportive as possible of Axl's doomed quest to create a new gnr. But it's 2013 ... Chinese Democracy is over, those musicians are long gone, it seems pretty unlikely that the touring line up is recording anything, much less releasing anything (and certainly nothing that would come close to standing on even ground with the classics), the Hall of Fame is over... How much longer is a picture is Chris Pitman going to grace the banner of this site instead of Slash, Duff, Izzy and drummer? how fucking weird must that look to casual gnr fans who stumble upon this place?

Again, it's 2013. Can we just be honest with ourselves now?

If a fan is so casual that they don't know anything that happened to the band between now and 1994ish, they would probably thing Pittman was an aged original member.

Why Axl without sunglasses and hat? I mean, it's actually what he looks like on stage.. When I think of Axl today, I think of him with a hat and sunglasses.

I think the first one Manfisman made is the best, just change Duff and it's perfect.

Definitely shouldn't be an amalgam of both bands. They don't really have anything to do with each other. Just use New GN'R.

I say use both incarnations to keep everyone happy. Or just variations of the logos throughout the years.

But just keeping it with guys who really haven't added any weight to the name is kinda asinine to me, and must make Joe Schmo either roll his eyes, or leaves him puzzled.

I find the idea of Slash next to the other members absurd. It's insulting really. It's like when Dj designed those tee-shirts for Vegas. Or when Dj put CD under his discography. Just use the new GN'R. No need to juxtapose them. This isn't GNRevolution.

I find the idea of Slash next to the other members absurd. It's insulting really. It's like when Dj designed those tee-shirts for Vegas. Or when Dj put CD under his discography. Just use the new GN'R. No need to juxtapose them. This isn't GNRevolution.

You're the kind of guy that would say the same thing about Roger Waters on a Pink Floyd forum "Hey you can't put Roger Water next to David Gilmour that's insulting!"... lol

If that's the new banner then that is pretty depressing. It's just like GNRevolution's old banner. Just leave the old GN'R out of it. No reason to assuage the "everyman" GN'R fan which there really isn't. I think everyone wanted it posted in the same section but trying to blur them together in an image that is only possible through photoshop is stretching it. Just leave the older banner up. It's fine.

I guess I'm not gonna like the banner. Oh well. Not a big deal. :shrugs:

The one with the albums covers looks pretty good too. Tough choice for me.

I like the look of the one with the highlighted current lineup; I just don't like it conceptually. I don't like the idea of having iconic members faded while current members who haven't written a note of music for GNR are highlighted. I also don't like the different lineups intermingled like that. To me, each lineup is it's own band entirely. Slash and Izzy were not part of the same band that Buckethead and Finck were part of and that BBF and Ashba are now part of, regardless of what Axl has ruined his career trying to prove.

But like I said, not a big deal.

I like the look of the one with the highlighted current lineup; I just don't like it conceptually. I don't like the idea of having iconic members faded while current members who haven't written a note of music for GNR are highlighted. I also don't like the different lineups intermingled like that. To me, each lineup is it's own band entirely. Slash and Izzy were not part of the same band that Buckethead and Finck were part of and that BBF and Ashba are now part of, regardless of what Axl has ruined his career trying to prove.

I understand completely. If it were up to me, the banner would contains Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Adler, Matt... and then Dizzy... Gilby and even maybe Teddy Zig Zag hehe, nevermind the others, I don't care about them at all, but I see this new banner as an improvement to the actual one...

The issue with putting everyone on without fading ex members... is that the banner just gets too "busy". I understand where you're coming from with the rest, but if you tried to group things in terms of who played together, it would look strange - they need to be spaced out, and mingling them is the only way to do it.

EDIT: I'm just trying to say that in terms of a banner, the aesthetic value is the most important aspect, not how it might relate to GN'R "politics" or whatever else. Most people aren't going to look beyond that.