Too bad Axl doesn't see things like Billy Corgan

Kapitch_77

Billy, Axl, and Geoff Tate are 3 of a kind. Axl has the most fame out of the three though, so he get's more hate than Corgan and Tate.

Geoff Tate is controlled by his wife, similar to Axl and Beta. Geoff's wife hates the old lineup, also similar to Beta.

Corgan, for whatever reason, doesn't get too much hate. Maybe because noone really liked the smashing pumpkins to begin with, but there's not really anyone who is pushing for a smashing pumkins reunion, nor is there really anyone who minds seeing Corgan's band instead of a lineup of the old band.

Geoff tate and Billy Corgan are both bald, Axl isn't. Geoff tate wears a Fedora, so does axl. Geoff tate has sang nightrain before. obviously so has axl. They all have stuff in common with eachother.

Some people think Queensryche should have broken up after DeGarmo left, and their feud was after being together for almost 30 years and probably a lot of building resentment over the past decade was going on.

Corgan kind of hinted at wanting to put the old lineup together, but it could also be wanting to mend fences with D'arcy and James after all the things he said in the press about them. He's always been kind of erratic, Courtney probably knows him better than anyone as far as his mood swings go, being that she probably caused some of those mood swings.

The industry has a stranglehold, you can try to be rebellious or put out whatever but it will bomb and they will find someone else to deliver.

I think you can blame the audience or the culture. Its not a big experimental or even art culture. Its superheros and chain restaurants.

90s alternative had a good go. But technology destroyed music.

But people still want to go to big rock shows.

People want to go to Big Rock Shows only to see particular bands : AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, Metallica, maybe Pearl Jam but PJ is diffrent story they alienated themselves from mainstream but are great to their huge fanbase, but I can't thing of one younger band that is selling out arenas easily maybe Foo Fighters but they are not that young and always had massive pop appeal.

And back to the topic, Billy Corgan is amazing visionary and I don't care about all that hating on him, he was Smashing Pumpkins as he wrote vast majority of songs and even played all instruments during recordings of Siamese Dream, and yes Oceania is awesome and sounds like 100% Smashing Pumpkins record. And what can I say he's right but he and Axl had a lot of in common

thats how i see it. Big rock shows are a product. We dont need new bands, people just want the legends. The best night out is to go eat at TGI fridays, see a Batman movie, then ACDC live then go to a superclub that plays rnb and hip hop called Bling.

Billy, Axl, and Geoff Tate are 3 of a kind. Axl has the most fame out of the three though, so he get's more hate than Corgan and Tate.

Geoff Tate is controlled by his wife, similar to Axl and Beta. Geoff's wife hates the old lineup, also similar to Beta.

Corgan, for whatever reason, doesn't get too much hate. Maybe because noone really liked the smashing pumpkins to begin with, but there's not really anyone who is pushing for a smashing pumkins reunion, nor is there really anyone who minds seeing Corgan's band instead of a lineup of the old band.

Geoff tate and Billy Corgan are both bald, Axl isn't. Geoff tate wears a Fedora, so does axl. Geoff tate has sang nightrain before. obviously so has axl. They all have stuff in common with eachother.

This just goes to show that what music "scene" you're into determines how you perceive things. Smashing Pumpkins is one of the few bands I like more than GN'R, and I am very active in the community. Most people who are die hard SP fans really do wish that Billy would just get the original lineup (or at least the one from 2000) back together. As a matter of fact, Billy receives a lot of the same complaints Axl does on SP fan site, barring of course, the lack of music.

The Smashing Pumpkins are fucking awful, and fronted by a pretentious, bald headed turd. Axl might be better off listening to the voices coming from the moon.

Billy has displayed very, very erratic behaviour over the last few years, and has gotten decidedly weirder and weirder (the Nic Cage of alt rock!), but he's still written some great music, and is capable of still doing so. And maybe he did something similar to Axl with the Pumpkins but at least he's out there making new music with his current lineup attempting to validate their existence and the things that went down rather than just tour endlessly on the old guys' back catalog to be totally honest (and I say this as way more a GN'R fan than SP/Corgan fan).

Very good assessment of Corgan. His recent ventures (most notably the wrestling company he started and tea house he opened in Chicago), strange interviews, and spiritual talk sees a lot of people pegging him as a "strange uncle" type, but the quality is there. I can think of five or six songs off the top of my head from new lineups of Smashing Pumpkins that, in my eyes, rank right along with the best of Smashing Pumpkins. Even the songs that are not "classics" are more than enjoyable.

To be fair I think Corgan did get a fair bit of flack when he resurrected the Pumpkins and then when Jimmy quit. It's only really due to how well received Oceania was that a lot of the negativity has subsided. Which gives me hope that with the right record the same thing could happen with GN'R. I guess the main difference between GN'R and the Pumpkins is that Billy was the main songwriter and played most of the parts on the records as well as being the frontman whereas GN'R has always been a collaborative thing.

I think Axl is operating similar to Billy. They are both the main ingredient of those bands. CD is like 70% GNR, that 70% remains then on each record you have different flavors of guitarists. I'm talking objectively. There's a core. To me Zeitgest and Oceania sound like just another Pumpkins record. It's just Axl needs a few more records.

I love how some pople use that twisted point that it is ok that Corgan continue alone because he was songwriter etc, and then make a point that GN'R was collaborative project yeah maybe it was mainly between Axl&Izzy and Izzy quit long ago.

Problem wih Axl is that fans do not accept evolution, it would all well and good to release AFD clones like AC/DC has been doing for years. And it's not heard to hear that Chinese Democracy is just successor to YUI and it would sound similar with Slash, Duff etc maybe we would get some VR-like generic rocker or two instead of Rhiad or Scraped but that's it. But some will always think that it would AFD vol. II which was never possible not matter who was in the band.

As time goes by you find out who was the main man. Idha and Darcy were window dressing as much as Slash and Duff were. That's not fair but that's how it breaks down in reality. It's not really who wrote what it's what is special about whatever it is. You can see it, CD and Slash other stuff. Axl just got a blues solo from Slash, but Slash's material got elevated by Axl's vocals.

Axl just got a blues solo from Slash, but Slash's material got elevated by Axl's vocals.

They needed each other. Its not more complicated than that. The problem is Axl tries so hard to replace Slash and its evident in what he does because everything he does is things from the past. I don't think Slash so vehemently is trying to replace Axl, but you know he's looking for that next great singer like Axl was. Its just not as blatantly obvious because its new material and no one knows it any other way. I can assume that Snakepit stuff would be killer with Axl, but I don't know that for sure. And I like those albums the way they are so I don't really need to think about that. Just like I don't think how much better Chinese would be with Slash because he was never involved in it and I don't really care about his spin on that material. But I do have to think that when Axl plays with DJ Ashba.

I don't think it's the main crux of it. It's just an observation. I think the main thing is who is the heart and soul of a band. And that's what endures over time. not saying it's right or fair. In some cases it's what's special about the band. Axl's vocals, Axl's persona is very powerful. The fact he didn't write all the songs doesn't out weigh that, he's like an Elvis. Billy writes the songs and is the heart and soul of it, like Axl is.

It's like the heart and soul can out last the creativity of a certain lineup, it can prevail. It's like Axl had more to say but the band he had was all out of ideas about to help him express that. In a way that part is easier than maintaining the same line up and keeping it fresh. It seems easier to shuffle the deck but keep the singer. In some cases the reunion record fires up the band and they deliver. There's more than just the personalities involved, the music must guide it, if nothing happens what do you do, you try to fix it.

GNR breaks up after every record. To create is to destroy!

What I think I'm trying to say is do we really want to block these guys creativity over line up changes. We kind of get that these aren't easy laid back guys, there's something driving them (maybe it is just head shaving cream and the ultimate chili burger) and for whatever project they embark on it might not always work out. Are we really saying don't make records without a specific line up. Surely it's the music we want, it's the art. And there's 4 or 5 artists in a band, they are sometimes going to diverge.

Edited by wasted