Probably been brought up before about Estranged

SweetRose

He sounds very good now even when compared to classic GNR! Yeah, he doesn't sing with the rasp or power in the second half of the song like he used to, but it sounds very good still. Different, but still good.

And I love the RIo 1991 version, best live version the old band did IMO

Guest cbgnr666

Imo. Estranged in the old days was pretty bad in general based on vids I've watched.The more recent performances are much better.

I'd have to agree a little more power/rasp in the second half would be nice, making it a little closer sounding to the album version.

Axl used a lot of power on his voice in the afd uyi days and now what i believe is that he has full control and he is in better shape then ever voice wise. In those days 90-93 he did a lot of power on his chords and you could just hear the pain in it. Yesh he was awesome then but he did have vocal bad days to really bad days (tokyo 92)

But some of those recent Estranged clips,he sounds like he's been sucking on helium and not oxygen.

And the Indiana clips,the whole show sounded like he had razors blades in his throat.But,I'd say that prior to the show a lot of screaming and yelling went on.Wasn't this the show where he had a rough time with his family back in I Indiana?

Plus probably partied some with some of his old friends from back in the day?

The Oklahoma Estranged is the best hands down.Thats the closest to the actual voice on the recording.

Edited by SweetRose

I love his jacket in the Oklahoma vid too!Just needed to be tailored a little bit more lol

Wish someone would let Axl hear the first vid posted,blindfolded and hear what he would have to say.

Edited by SweetRose

Axl used a lot of power on his voice in the afd uyi days and now what i believe is that he has full control and he is in better shape then ever voice wise. In those days 90-93 he did a lot of power on his chords and you could just hear the pain in it. Yesh he was awesome then but he did have vocal bad days to really bad days (tokyo 92)

Ummm! pretty sure he still has vocal bad days to very bad days, he also doesn't seem to have full control. in 92 he could hold a note for much longer without losing pitch, these days he's quite hit and miss especially on Estranged. Axl sounded better on the illusions tour, he had power, grit and a decent grit/clean vocal, nowadays he has clean and the slightest bit of grit when he really pushes for a note.

My video :D It keeps getting posted. I wonder if I could see stats on how many times it's been posted on forums.

Also, the first page of this thread is outrageous. Why do you guys not realize how absolutely dreadful he is during the second part? Better now? What is wrong with you?

IDK :shrugs: I'm sorry...I'm in the minority here.. love his 90s 'dying cat' voice more on Estranged than his more recent 'mickey mouse' voice. But towards the outtro I would prefer a slightly cleaner voice than the old strained one.

BTW are there any more comparison vids like this on other songs? Would be great if we can watch those if they are out there.

IDK :shrugs: I'm sorry...I'm in the minority here.. love his 90s 'dying cat' voice more on Estranged than his more recent 'mickey mouse' voice. But towards the outtro I would prefer a slightly cleaner voice than the old strained one.

BTW are there any more comparison vids like this on other songs? Would be great if we can watch those if they are out there.

You're Crazy. I never asked for permission for these videos, which is why it's unlisted.

Edited by MrSoftie